Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new 98 z28

white

new 98 z28

hey guys, just traded my 95 mustang cobra for a 98 camaro and have a couple questions. I know the common things to go out on camaros are window motors and cracked dashes and yes, mine has both. As far as the dash I'm just going to get a cover but want to fix the windows.
    Currently the window motors work, somewhat. I was told it was the switches but I'm not sure. Some times it works first try others I have to try it a couple times. also it seems like theres a lot of movement in the driver window so I'm guessing the regulator also is on its way out. Should I have a shop do this or should I try myself? I've done window motors on my mustangs and it wasn't bad but I've heard of f bodys having problems with the door panels cracking and don't want to risk it.
    Also the service light is on. It's not the full service engine light just service. Is there anyway I can find out what this means or will I have to run it on a scanner?
    So far the car has run great and shifts fine. I've never owned a v8 car with an auto so this is a big change fore me but as far as I know about automatics it seems to be shifting fine.
    thanks in advance for any advice and sorry in advance fore my illiteracy of camaros, I'm learning.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Well, as far as the light goes, run it on a scanner. I've got one and it's the best couple hundred bucks I've ever invested. It's the Actron scanner, and I do update my software for it as well. For the window motor, there's a tutorial that I know a guy on here had a seperate web-site with step-by-step instructions, and pictures. Explains everything, which helps, because I need to fix mine as well I roughly read over-it and I beleive that there is a pin that was not carefully set, which is causing mine not to roll down. When I hit the button for my driver's side, it lowers maybe an inch, and of course the motor keeps going because of the automatic switch. I can stop it by hitting the button back up and the window rolls back up, so I beleive that to be the culprit but won't know until I dig into it. Anyways, congrats on your new LS1! Leme see if I can find that for you...

autotrix.net
    Last edited by MrMasterCraft; 12-05-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: window

white

before I go out and buy a scanner I'm gonna see if I can get my smog guy to throw a scanner on it while getting it smogged.
    The other problem I just found was that the doors will lock with the factory remote and the power locks but won't unlock and makes a weird tapping noise while trying with the power locks. I have to unlock the doors with the key or push the manual button from inside. Any idea of what this could be?
    So far I've really liked the car and have nothing negative to say about it other than small things that should be easy fixes.

white

now I feel kinda stupid. I looked at it again and found out it is a security light not service but the service engine light did come on last time I drove it. I just got a chance to really check out the engine bay and had a friend check it out with me and he thinks my timing chain is going but before I tear into it I'm going to have a shop diagnose it. Does anyone have an idea of what would be a good price for a shop to change a timing chain in northern cali?
    thanks in advance
    Last edited by pk222; 12-07-2009 at 06:53 PM.

white

anyone?

Black
    2002 Z28

PICS

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Autozone will scan for free

white

autozone can't legally scan anymore in California.
    I'll post pics as soon as I can.
    Its a 98 original gold z28 a4 I'm sure there's millions but I'll still post pics. Stock other than flowmaster and k&n filter

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pk222 View Post
    I'll post pics as soon as I can.
    Its a 98 original gold z28 a4 I'm sure there's millions but I'll still post pics. Stock other than flowmaster and k&n filter
    Didn't know that
    best off getting a cheap scan tool then

white

Just a regular one from autozone that is for gm's 98-02? And is it really worth buying it versus having it done once at a shop for the minimum $90 shop fee?
    I don't know if its the same with this car but I bought one for my mustang and it showed me false readings when I ended up doing the self tests and they were accurate. After buying a decent one I found out I needed a full system diagnostic that I couldn't use the scanner for and ended up being a waste.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Just a regular one from autozone that is for gm's 98-02? And is it really worth buying it versus having it done once at a shop for the minimum $90 shop fee?
    I don't know if its the same with this car but I bought one for my mustang and it showed me false readings when I ended up doing the self tests and they were accurate. After buying a decent one I found out I needed a full system diagnostic that I couldn't use the scanner for and ended up being a waste.
    I wouldn't want to pay 90 bucks every time
    To me spending a little extra cash on a nice scan tool is worth the extra cost
    I have this one and trust me its worth it
    Costs a lot, but worth it
    http://www.esetuning.com/ProductDeta...oductCode=3130

Was changing the knock sensor in my buddies car and had to run back to autozone to get it scanned like 4 times, the scan tool is worth it
    Never know when you might need it, plus you could also help out other people

white

That looks like a really nice scanner and it looks like it would be a lot of help. If I end up fixing the sel before I get this scanner I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Interesting... I just told my husband he could go and have his Silverado done there and the guy told him that they didn't do it anymore because it was a pain in the butt the way the parking lot was set up

Guess he didn't know what he was talking about. The fact that it's another CA law makes more sense

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

That looks like a really nice scanner and it looks like it would be a lot of help. If I end up fixing the sel before I get this scanner I'll keep it in mind for the future.
    Its really a cool tool to have
    Check live data, o2 sensors, and more stuff i haven't even played with yet
    Either way its good to have any scan tool around
    For as many times as i've gone to autozone for a scan, i'd have put up a thousand dollar bill at 90 bucks a piece

white

ya both autozone and kragen used to scan for free but supposedly something happened and now its illegal only in California.

Seems like it but before I drop almost $300 on a scanner I want try to get it smogged and fix a couple other things such as the locks, windows and whatever is making noise in the front of the engine. I called a shop and was told it was really unlikely because all the ls1's came with double roller timing chains but haven't had a chance to take it in yet.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm sure I'll miss some of these because you have a lot going on there. As far as a scan tool you don't have to spend $300 to get a good one. I have an actron cp9180 that does everything I need it to do for the most part...except scan abs codes and only the high end scanners will do that. Link to the thread when I bought it.... actron cp9180. Amazon has them for $133 new.
    For your security light you have a vats issue going. Tons of info in this thread vats thread. It can be bypassed for about $5 and 30 minutes of work.
    here's a thread on replacing the window motors window motor thread I'm still on my stock motors so I haven't had to do this but many many people have so it's something you most likely can do yourself.
    Why would your buddy think your timing change "is going out"? Is he a mustang guy?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ya both autozone and kragen used to scan for free but supposedly something happened and now its illegal only in California.

Seems like it but before I drop almost $300 on a scanner I want try to get it smogged and fix a couple other things such as the locks, windows and whatever is making noise in the front of the engine. I called a shop and was told it was really unlikely because all the ls1's came with double roller timing chains but haven't had a chance to take it in yet.
    false

how many miles are on the car and describe what you're hearing as best as you can? LS1's make some noise....they're not a quiet or smooth idling engine but they make tons of power.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Absolute no on the double roller timing chain. I doubt your timing chain is "going out", and even if was you wouldnt hear it until it was too late Orion posted everything I was gearing up to.

white

thank you for the link on that scanner, the security code and the window motors.
    Is the security code a big deal? The only reason I'm even afraid of the service engine light is that I know the car won't pass smog with it on and in my county I only have to smog upon transfer of titles.
    Actually the person who told me he thinks the timing chain is going is a very skilled mechanic who favors chevy over ford any day, even to the point of putting an efi 350 in his 56 f100. Hes one of the people whos been telling my to go chevy for years. He checked my car without a stethoscope or camera or anything though so he wasn't positive. I hate to say it but I really hope he is wrong considering the shop estimated me $1200 for a timing chain
    It has 173,000 and I got it maybe 200 miles ago and 2 days. The guy said it had been rebuilt less than 10,000 miles ago at the dealer he got it from but had no paperwork to prove it. The car runs great doesn't sputter miss or backfire but sounds almost like a clacking or grinding in the front of the motor at idle and a little above idle.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

without hearing it I can't tell you much about "clacking or grinding" other than to say that if it's your timing chain you would be the first person I've ever heard of that's had problems with their timing chain. I would probably narrow the noise down a little more and rule out the pulleys and valvetrain. The "clacking" could be normal or it could be a lifter or something. Without hearing it though that's a guess. I also doubt the car was rebuilt. These engines don't get rebuilt in the traditional sense. They're an aluminum block with an iron cylinder liner. There's just not much you can do with them.

Thread Information