Red
    1996 Ford Thunderbird

Need some help please

Ok so here goes the first post so bare with me. First, I am a 17 yr old senior living in Tennessee, I currently drive a 1996 Ford Thunderbird that I am hoping to replace before I go to college in 07. I do love my car but it has a 4 spd auto 4.6 liter(its says 5.0) on the engine, but I really want a car with a manual tranny and something that goes faster than 107 mph( where the govenor kicks in.) I know my car could go faster as it pulls 2500 rpms at 107. I think I have decided on an 02 SS Camaro. I have always loved the way they look and sound. I don't know all that much about them. I believe the SLP package they make 345hp. I plan to put a good chunk of money to get it around 700hp. If anyone could suggest some first good upgrades and whether or not to go with a turbo or supercharger. Thanks!

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

First off welcome to the site. You will be able to learn alot about the f-bodys on here for sure. As alot of guys will tell you the search button is your best friend. Good luck and hope you find the car you want.
    2001 SOM SS Vert 1 of 37 verts with a 6 speed. Kook LT's with cats, fast 90mm ported intake, Nick Williams 90mm TB, AFR 205's and so on. Tuning/installs done by Williams Performance.

Black
    1999 Z28

I'm new to. Hi there

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

where did u get your rear bumper chrome inserts

2001 SS

If you're going to modify it, don't get an SS. Just get a Z28 for a couple thousand cheaper in the same or better. Think about all the things that go along with a turbo, like beefing up the engine and suspension...

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS M6 #3,850

DO GET AN SS!! Why settle for a Z28? Get an SS and change the exhaust, the cam, and get a ProCharger supercharger. Turbos suck! ProChargers have their own oil system so you don't have to tap into yours. They're great. You'll probably have to change the injectors and fuel pump too.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS M6 #3,850

phoenixgraphix.com $29

sunset orange
    2001 SS VERT

Got my SS inserts from MBA products for 72.00 shipped

Black
    99 Z28

Dont get an SS at 18 years old. Unless your parents are buying the car AND making your insurance payment. Why? An 18 year old male in an SS = $300 to $800 a month on insurance. Dont believe me? Get a quote. But if your on your parents insurance while THEY pay - then its all game.
    But if you have that covered then get a Z28. If your going to mod it then paying extra for parts you will replace would be a waist of $$$

I say 2 things. Pay cash for a car or buy something with a v8 that doesn't cost much, like under 4k for sure. Unless you're wealthy or have an inheritance, then I suggest buying something you can pay off very quickly if not pay cash for all of it at the time of sale. You won't want a car payment in college. Secondly, you'd don't need to be driving 100+ MPH anyway. If you want more horsepower, then ok, but going faster than 107 is not necessary. So what are you really wanting? More 0-60 performance or you wanna go 140 mph? I can understand wanting to go fast like 140mph, but if you do it one time, then it becomes not so important anymore and you'll realize how dangerous it is.

Red
    1996 Ford Thunderbird

Drag style preformance would be main goal but 107 is a joke on the interstate when someone honks at you, as for payments, my parents are paying for it all so that isn't a problem once i have a job squared away, they are dumped on me, but until them my mom will take care of them, i get about 40 grand to dump into this car

I see many tickets in your future. hehe

Black
    99 Z28

"they are dumped" on you? Sounds like you are dumping them on your parents.

Red
    1996 Ford Thunderbird

As far as tickets go my mom is a lawyer and the local PD is one of her clients, I've avoided some tickets, I'm not dumping payments on my parents if it's their idea first.

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

Dam dude! 40k! uhh any one else! catch that! YA get an SS! youll still have what! 20-25k left for mods! thats a 10sec car easy!

Red
    1996 Ford Thunderbird

That's what I'm going for, and fyi I didn't just get 40k dumped into my lap, a scholar ship to Sewanee did that, full ride. My mom always told me if I got a scholarship, that I'd get a tutition to spend.

Red; 58,000 org. miles
    1999 Camaro Z28, M6....

Good God kid....$40K....??? stick around this website for some advice from all these guys and you're gonna have one bad ass car bro!!!

Red
    1996 Ford Thunderbird

That's pretty much what I'm going for/

Red
    1996 Ford Thunderbird

So would anyone want to tackle the questions? Is it true that most turbos on Camaros have to go in the trunk, and wouldn't that lag badly? Which would cost more between a turbo(single and double) and a supercharger? What would be some good upgrades before or with a turbo or supercharger, injectors, spark plugs, air intake, filter, radiator, exhaust, headers? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thread Information