Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Need some FeedBack, Plz

This is a discussion on Need some FeedBack, Plz within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; wow! didnt think anybody would ever do that to the same car but thanks letting me know. im very fond ...

black
    02 z28 camaro

wow! didnt think anybody would ever do that to the same car but thanks letting me know. im very fond of 3.73s but wouldnt like to lose mpg.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

They weren't ALL on the same car lol. My last car was a 96 WS6 TA, I had 3.23's from teh factory, then my rear blew so I had 3.73's installed, the installer did a shitty job, and since I had to get it redone anyway with new gears, I opted for 3.42's to get some mileage back. My car now had 4.10's from the previous owner, and although I loved them in the city, they sucked on the highway, so I swapped them with a friend who had 3.42's. My first fbod was a 95 firebird, which also had the 3.42's and the 3.8 since it was from Cali.

black
    02 z28 camaro

oh! i usually run about 25 mi each day (DD). about 3 to 6 of those are city and the rest are highway, ranging from 35 to 55 to 65 mph. so i believe 3.42s would be the best, huh!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

35-55 is no fun with 3.42's, in my car, in the range, it cant decide if it wants to stay in 3rd, or go into 4th, it keeps jumping back and forth. its easy enough to just run it in 3rd at the speed, youll stay under 3k RPM's, but it still wastes gas. but 60+ is nice, 65 is 2200 RPMS in 4th, just right for you to rest your foot on the pedal and keep it at the speed. your not having to get in and out of the gas, or really put youre foot into it.

just my .02

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

If the most you cruise at is 65 typically, then 3.73's would still work ok, but 3.42 is still my gear of choice for flexibility.

Spikito, I think a tune would help you. IIRC the gear hunting is usually eliminated but check around first.

I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar

Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02blackz View Post
    im sorry guys, maybe this isnt the right place to do this but i need some ?s answered.

i bought my 02 Z camaro on 11/06 with 96k and brought it back from austin (i got lost but eventually found my way back), last year, hadnt had any problems with the exception of the rear mainseal bustin out within 1 month and was replaced. im a pretty heavy guy (about 250 to 300 lbs). i have taken it to the track and 1/4mi times stock w/ 80 to 90% wasted tires was a 14.4 consistency. ive heard of times close to 13.5 on 1/4mi to about 13.8 stock.

Q1) Is this true, times close to 13.5 on 1/4mi to about 13.8 stock?

now, about a year later, i have done the free ram air upgrade, hollowed out cats, knn filter (came like that), and the tb bypass. with same busted tires and no spare tire this time, i managed to pull a 14.04 best run. what is up with this. dont get me wrong im totally satisfied with my car, its just that i thought it would do better or sum.

Q2) Can anybody tell me what i did wrong or is it just the car? Or me for being a FATASS?!

Q3) I dont think this is a big deal but does my Z having a 35th badge in the console mean its something huge or is it just like all the other 25th and 30th ann cars?

please give me some feedback,thx
    If you hollowed out the cats after your first trip to the strip, did you get the computer reflashed? If not, I think the empty cats in general are killing exhaust velocity??? just my .02...

black
    02 z28 camaro

i want to do that but would like to tune my car w/ more mods. is there something else i can reflash for cheap...uhhem, i ment on a budget. i just bought the CRC maf cleaner and worked well (maf and tb), not sure if i actually noticed a diff. in perf. but it did help w/ the cleaning. btw i just bought the platinum NGK tr55s and the MSD 8.5mm wires.

whats the diff. between the $60 and the $100 versions?

my "friend" said they were the $100 ones w/ the plugs and i paid bout $82 and change. $15 for the plugs and bout $60 for the wires (Orielly AP) under his account. i hope i got a good deal, cuz ive seen them on ebay for about $40/plugs and $60/wires + shipping. ill have a mechanic install them in about to weeks and if it doesnt rain as its been ill take it for a run at the track and post it!!
    Last edited by 02blackz; 09-15-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: cheap, wth

black
    02 z28 camaro

btw, im doing about 14.06 and was afraid of doing less time because of regulations. <14.00=were a helmet. luckily i have a motorcycle and am going to use that helmet. i just hope im not totally disappointed w/ whatever i do. wish me luck.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Good luck man keep us posted on how you do. Kind of a side question for others following this: would torque management be slowing him down? I don't know a whole lot about it.

black
    02 z28 camaro

im not sure my car has that tm. it has never turned on since ive had the car. im also wonderin about the pcv valve. my 89RS had it inside the air cleaner but im not sure as to where out all the lines it it?!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

im not sure my car has that tm. it has never turned on since ive had the car. im also wonderin about the pcv valve. my 89RS had it inside the air cleaner but im not sure as to where out all the lines it it?!
    What Tube is this?

black
    02 z28 camaro

can someone tell me where can i go or what can i use to delete turn off the ses light bc of hollowed cats w/o having to tune ecu?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

02 sims i believe, you need 2 to replace the O2 sensors behind the cats.

black
    02 z28 camaro

i know and i think i saw them for about $39 but i read some threads that said they didnt last long so im not sure?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

I have no idea how long they last, I've never used them.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

i know and i think i saw them for about $39 but i read some threads that said they didnt last long so im not sure?
    I've had mine on for over a year and have had 0 problems.... but I just had the 02 sensors tuned out when I cammed my car, so I don't need mine anymore. Next time I'm under there I will rip them off and let you know to see if you still need them.

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

black
    02 z28 camaro

went today to pick up my msd wires and man this just keeps getting more exciting by the minute!! what im afraid of is not being able to go to the track next week on wednesday, but ill see what i can do. got to cleaning my maf, tb, and changed pcv valve and WOW, what a difference in small gain performance. just keeping up with the small stuff can have a good impact in the vehicle! i definately felt some low end torque and lost that annoying hesitation you get from stopping and going on traffic lights!!! i also erased the no cat. code at Oriellys, but came back on in about 30 min., oh well!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

went today to pick up my msd wires and man this just keeps getting more exciting by the minute!! what im afraid of is not being able to go to the track next week on wednesday, but ill see what i can do. got to cleaning my maf, tb, and changed pcv valve and WOW, what a difference in small gain performance. just keeping up with the small stuff can have a good impact in the vehicle! i definately felt some low end torque and lost that annoying hesitation you get from stopping and going on traffic lights!!! i also erased the no cat. code at Oriellys, but came back on in about 30 min., oh well!
    think its it been posted already but when I changed my fuel filter I could tell a big difference

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

also do like I have done lately and find a gas station that sells non-ethanol

Red
    02 35th Ann.SS Camaro

I had a factory freak SS. Ordered in 99 and got it in 2000. With 4k on the odomometer I took it to MIR. Bone stock during Time trials it ran 13.4's and 3's. It was an auto. I ended up dropping tires to 26 in back,leaving at idle and letting it shift itself in D. Consistent 13.20's the rest of the day. Ended up taking the gold too. Had a T/A auto that I did all of the freemods and catback with same times and slp hood. That was in MO. Just got longtubes on my present ride and need to get it to the track but that will have to wait till I get to Texas next month.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information