Need some advice

This is a discussion on Need some advice within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; First off I wanna say that I'm new to the community here. I just bought a 2002 Camaro z/28 at ...

Red
    2002 Chevy Camaro Z/28

Need some advice

First off I wanna say that I'm new to the community here. I just bought a 2002 Camaro z/28 at our local autofair about 3 weeks ago, so I figured I would join some forums around the internet. This forum seems like the best and I'm happy to finally have an account!

On to why I'm posting.......I've been obsessed with muscle cars, specifically the camaro, my enitre life. I love them, and the 2002 ss is probably one of my favorite muscle cars ever built. period. Before i bought my z/28, i told my dad that if I was going to buy a camaro, it would HAVE to be an SS, and that the z/28 was not spiced up enough in terms of it's exterior for me. Well, that plan failed when, at our local autofair, I found a z/28 with 20,000 miles for a good price, in immaculate shape. We went ahead and bought it, knowing that at some point I would convert it to an ss. I just need some advice now on exactly how to do-so.

Before i go any further, I realize that the value of the car, in terms of it long-term value, will drop siginificantly if i change it from stock. I don't care one bit. I had every intention of owning a 2002 ss, and by god i will have me a 2002 ss if i have to replace every last part on it myself. I don't care about the value. Its MY car, and I want it to look like a 35th anniversary ss. Maybe I'm making a mistake, but I really don't care to hear people tell me that. If you are hear to tell me not to do it, you might as well leave this post now. Im definately converting it.

Moving on......The first thing I want to do is replace the hood and spoiler with an ss hood and spoiler. What is the best way to go about doing this? Should I get a quote from a local body shop before I do anything? Should I buy it first and install it myself, or should I get the shop to do everything? I also want to get the 35th anniversary stripe decals on it. What is the best way to go about doing this? Should the body shop do that as well? Also, where is the best place to buy the necessary parts? I'm new to working on cars, so any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. Note: my dad is a genius with cars, and can do just about anything (that doesnt need special tools) himself.

Like I said, I'm sure, no positive, that there are those of you who think I shouldn't do this. It's going to be converted on way or another because its MY car and i want it to look the way I want it to look. period. end of story.

I am willing to listen to anyone who has advice for me. Thanks ahead of time!

-David

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

The SS hood and spoiler are the first things you want to tackle. The spoiler is available by most anyone that sells aftermarket Camaro parts. The hood on the other hand can be an issue. A true, OEM SS hood in good shape will bring a grand all day long. There are aftermarket options out there, but from all the horror stories around, they require a lot of prep work for proper fit and finish. The stripes I'm not too sure where you can obtain those, I've never actually researched that myself.

The next thing you're going to want to tackle if you are going for a 35th look is to find the wheels. Good luck. They are near impossible to find true SS 10 spoke wheels, and when and if you do find them, prepare to lighten your wallet.

The rest of the car is all pretty much set, do what you want with the exhaust, suspension and engine. The sky's the limit since there really isn't any collector value in an SS conversion, so keeping it stock is not necessary.

Also, on a personal note, when and if you go to sell the car, do not pass it off as a true SS. A lot of people try to do that and get caught, so just a word of warning. Not saying you will, just some advice from someone who ran into it quite a bit while car searching.

Check out our sponsors for the parts you need:

LS1.com | Camaro | Transam | Corvette | GTO | Performance Information - Sponsors

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

To add to what Andy said, and being a owner of a 35th LE Camaro SS, I'll also add...

There is a difference between a 35th Anniversary Camaro and a 35th LE Anniversary Camaro.

What I'm describing below is a LE.

The wheels...they don't make them anymore. They do not sell replica's either. You probably are not going to find them. Just being honest here. Your only bet is to keep looking on e-bay, craigslist, etc and maybe you might find a used set. People here have looked and have had zero luck. When they do come available, they will come at a very high cost to you.

You're also going to need custom interior as the 35th LE Camaro has two-tone interior seats with embroidered head rests.

There is also the 35th LE badging on the the front fenders.

Is your car red? If not, then it won't pass for a 35th LE no matter what you do to it, because they were all red with the things mentioned above and what I've mentioned. Or, you can just look at my Avatar.

Good luck to you and keep us posted of your progress.

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

The rims are not imposable to find, in fact a guy named chaotic over on cf found the rims with tires for $280

Red
    2002 Chevy Camaro Z/28

Right now, Im not so much worried about recovering the seats. The exterior look is what im going for more, not as much the interior. When i have to recover the seats eventually, i will get the special embroidery leather.

Also, I found a 35th anniversary le decal kit on some aftermarket camaro parts website. I can't remeber which one but I at least know I can get them.

I guess my main concern is what the body shop can and will do. Will a local shop do everything I want done, and how much am I looking at here? If its going to be north of 3 or 4 grand, I might just sell my z28 and buy a real ss.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by dawalker View Post
    Right now, Im not so much worried about recovering the seats. The exterior look is what im going for more, not as much the interior. When i have to recover the seats eventually, i will get the special embroidery leather.

Also, I found a 35th anniversary le decal kit on some aftermarket camaro parts website. I can't remeber which one but I at least know I can get them.

I guess my main concern is what the body shop can and will do. Will a local shop do everything I want done, and how much am I looking at here? If its going to be north of 3 or 4 grand, I might just sell my z28 and buy a real ss.
    Get a quote... and if you can do the prep work yourself, do it. I can't tell you how much a shop is going to charge.

Ray Charles blue

Do you plan to leave he car stock? If so then perhaps the SS is your better bet but if you plan to do any type of intake, exhaust, tune the Z28 IS the same care as the SS.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'd say you are looking at a few grand with material and labor if you want a quality job done. Prep work is the most important part of painting. If you get that wrong, the best painter in the world won't be able to make the car not look like shit.

Typically hood replacement doesn't fit perfect. The lines will most likely be off a little, even with a ton of tweaking. This is what I've seen on dozens of aftermarket hoods.

I forgot to mention above, you will also need the "Camaro" gray inserts for the berger panel.

35th LE's also came with the 35th Anniversary embroidered mat for the rear hatch.

And just for the record, some of the aftermarket LE sticker kits are not right. The checkered flag decal running down the hood stops short of where it should. I've seen many like this. Could be a patent infringement thing. Not sure.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

To the op, So is it an ss that you want to make it look like ??? Or a 35th anniv le ??? To turn it into an ss wouldnt be that hard from a cosmetic standpoint, But to make it a 35th anniversary ss le camaro, Now that would be alot harder to do

Thread Information