Need opinions, please.

This is a discussion on Need opinions, please. within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have a 2002 SS SOM with only 17k on the clock. I bought it 2 months ago & LOVE ...

Need opinions, please.

I have a 2002 SS SOM with only 17k on the clock. I bought it 2 months ago & LOVE it!! When I bought it, I planned on driving it a little more than I have (600 miles so far), but now, I am kinda gun shy. I plan on keeping the car forever, as it is a toy & was never intended to be anything but that, & I plan on showing the car locally. It has one spot on the rear quarter where a rock or something hit it & left 2 pin sized rock chips in the paint, this leads me to believe I will never really win much at the shows, but other than that it is perfect. Anyways....should I say the hell with it & not worry about the miles & possible damage or should I garage queen her & really try to keep the miles to a bare minimum.

Just kinda want some input from other F-Body owners (I wish there were more around here). To be honest, I will probably drive her but try to keep the miles to about 2k per year.

Victory Red
    2000 SS

In my opinion, you have to ask yourself, is it really a toy to play with or are you keeping it as an investment? 17k is still low enough to be valuable as an investment in the future. Once you get into the 30k mark it kinda de values them from an auction standpoint. Those cars sell well but they are considered drivers. What do you do with a Camaro with 30-40k miles? Put another 30-40 on it. If you could keep it for the next 10-15 years and not put any more miles on it they they sell in the "investment categoty" of guys who buys cars and never drive them, put them in a personal collection and resale them in 10 years and hope to gain profit. To me what fun are they if theyre not driven? And letting one sit is probablly the worst thing you can do to a late 90's early 2k vehicle. I say drive it. Take the tops out and enjoy!

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

What slp options does it have??? The cme cars with the 345 hp package seem to be getting harder to find. There are alot of 02 ss camaros for sale. Its really a buyers market with these cars ever since the 5th gen camaro came out. Unless its fully loaded with all slp options, I say drive it and enjoy it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    What slp options does it have??? The cme cars with the 345 hp package seem to be getting harder to find. There are alot of 02 ss camaros for sale. Its really a buyers market with these cars ever since the 5th gen camaro came out. Unless its fully loaded with all slp options, I say drive it and enjoy it!!!
    It just has the basic SLP stuff: Grill, ZR1's, & the mats & cover, but they are both long gone. BTW, what really made the extra 20hp? The previous owner put a borla catback on & I did a lid, I am assuming that is basically what SLP did too.

Quote Originally Posted by danjo11
    In my opinion, you have to ask yourself, is it really a toy to play with or are you keeping it as an investment? 17k is still low enough to be valuable as an investment in the future. Once you get into the 30k mark it kinda de values them from an auction standpoint. Those cars sell well but they are considered drivers. What do you do with a Camaro with 30-40k miles? Put another 30-40 on it. If you could keep it for the next 10-15 years and not put any more miles on it they they sell in the "investment categoty" of guys who buys cars and never drive them, put them in a personal collection and resale them in 10 years and hope to gain profit. To me what fun are they if theyre not driven? And letting one sit is probablly the worst thing you can do to a late 90's early 2k vehicle. I say drive it. Take the tops out and enjoy!
    I really never want to sell it, so my actual plan it to keep it until I die. Good points all around. I just get real weird about piling up miles on her Maybe I just baby it too much!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

4-time Camaro owner

Drive it.. WHen the time comes restore it and drive it some more..

Just my .02
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-24-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Yeah, I need to quit being a vag & just drive it. Hell, I live like 5 minutes from a drag strip & I am scared to run it up & down the track, for fear of breaking something.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Good luck keeping that low miles......

I'm solid in the crowd that wants to drive them. If I wanted to just look at them I'd get a LS1.com calender and have them as my computers wall paper. oh wait I do..

Until their is a F-body museum like the Vettes have it kills me sometimes seeing cars that have become museum pieces.

It's like having a Derby winning horse and keeping it in the stable because it might throw a shoe.

IMHO our cars (f-bodies) will never reach super high worth. Maybe some NHRA's and select CETA's/Firehawks that have #0001 on their build years but other then that meh
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 05-24-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

I'm with Scott on this one. I don't buy cars just to park them in my garage and collect dust over time. I surely didn't buy my Z28 to just let it sit around, either. I say drive it and enjoy it
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Drive it like you stole it!!

But wash it and wax it like it never gets on the street...

You guys will be happy to know, that I have been driving her a lot lately. Put about 125 miles on it this weekend alone.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Nice!! I bet she's happy too

Thread Information