• neither

0 0%
  • live in a cardboard box and buy both

1 5.56%
    WS6 Rice Extermination MaxPlusTen's Avatar

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

need opinions... 4th or 5th gen, what to buy

ok guys, i got a dillema... ive been wanting to get back in to an LSX powered vehicle for awhile now. I have the funding now but Im torn. I was going to put my order down on a 2010 camaro 2ss this week but i just got off the phone with a good friend of mine. He is the original owner of a red 2002 SLP SS. The car is imaculent. It has been garage kept, has roughly 20k miles on it, and is probably cleaner than the day it left the show room inside and out. It has light bolt ons (catback, headers, lid, all the basics). 6 speed car, black leather, t-tops, never beat on, 2 sets of wheels (c5 z06s chrome, and the original SS wheels, both with new tires). His asking price is 17500 to me because he wants it to go to a good home. Suddenly the brand new car idea seems less appealing. Why go in debt for 4 years when i can go in debt for 1 and have an amazing car either way. What would you do

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen View Post
    ok guys, i got a dillema... ive been wanting to get back in to an LSX powered vehicle for awhile now. I have the funding now but Im torn. I was going to put my order down on a 2010 camaro 2ss this week but i just got off the phone with a good friend of mine. He is the original owner of a red 2002 SLP SS. The car is imaculent. It has been garage kept, has roughly 20k miles on it, and is probably cleaner than the day it left the show room inside and out. It has light bolt ons (catback, headers, lid, all the basics). 6 speed car, black leather, t-tops, never beat on, 2 sets of wheels (c5 z06s chrome, and the original SS wheels, both with new tires). His asking price is 17500 to me because he wants it to go to a good home. Suddenly the brand new car idea seems less appealing. Why go in debt for 4 years when i can go in debt for 1 and have an amazing car either way. What would you do
    thats a nice setup for the 4th gen. for that price all that extra stuff comes with it. that is a nice deal for whatever your purposes for it are. if you wanna play you got the pricey exhaust out of the way. hopefully he still has the original parts if you are gonna keep it for collector/show car

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

yea it wouldnt be a collector, just a very well looked after driver. My T/A is going to be the collector now since i recently found out its one of 34 made medium quasar in 97. So this is kinda my way of justifying another toy lol

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

The 02 sounds like the better choice to me.

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

My thoughts are since my cars in need of a rear ill swap the 10 bolt out of the 02 into that and put a strange s60 in the 02... make for a good foundation to build on. I wont get too radical, heads, cam, maybe a small shot

white
    2000 Z28

fyi unoriginal cars lose the collectors value especially since it will be played with. but keep your stock parts and maybe you can pull it off as a collector. i doubt it though. you will most likely have to pay alot of money and time to get it back to original form. its better collectore wise to have an immaculate car that wasnt driven vs the restored car.

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

not really worried about value on the t/a, shes with me till the day i die, the camaro would only be sold if something better comes along, not worried about the value there either. Just want a toy and i know the cars solid, ive been around it for about 4 years now and it really is an awesome well taken care of car.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPlusTen View Post
    yea it wouldnt be a collector, just a very well looked after driver. My T/A is going to be the collector now since i recently found out its one of 34 made medium quasar in 97. So this is kinda my way of justifying another toy lol
    just using this posr for the collector thing. i got your intention now. but yep nice solid buy with the 4th gen and half the price of the 5th gen more than likely

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I wouldn't buy a first year new generation car, they always have the bugs and issues to work out. Buy the 02 or wait until the 2nd year for the 5th gens.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

yea, im thinking ittl be a good choice, i really miss ls1 power and reliablility... and tunability for that matter lol

Royal pain in the.... Phantom2kz's Avatar

2001 Z-28 A4 NBM
    2002 35th anni SS M6#1696

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I wouldn't buy a first year new generation car, they always have the bugs and issues to work out. Buy the 02 or wait until the 2nd year for the 5th gens.
    i agree, i have seen some of the electrical diagrams, totally new system to GM.
    For the money get the 02, in 02 they had most of the bugs worked out, and parts are abundant, in the 5th gen....
    I could be wrong and they could be good to go....but every time they changed the Y body i wouldn't have wanted the 1st year
    just my $.02

just had the same problem my-self....i bought the 02 SS.. no regrets..

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

awesome, yea ive done some thinking on it tonight and i believe thats gonna be the route i go, ill post pics when i get her... should be about a week or two... thats the other good part, no waiting on a dealer... instant gratification lol

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i think it comes down to how much you wanna drive it...id feel bad trying to have fun in the 4th, kinda like killing a unicorn, its fun but you feel like a jackass. the 5th you prob wouldnt feel as bad beating on. get the 4th and your gonna be held to the same standards he had

So do you want an investment car, or a driveable car

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

corvette, but that's just me, a c5 z06 seems to be in the low middle.
    oh oh viper gts

NEW CAMARO FOR SURE IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT!!!!!
    If you are only 21 with the newest Camaro SS you will be sh!ttn on people no doubt

People going see you speeding down the street and going to think you was in a spaceship!! In that 5gen

you are going to wish you got that 5gen when you are rolling in a 4gen and see 5gen speed by you

Medium Quazar Blue
    1997 Trans Am LT1

yea, true that, i dunno though... im not all about being flashy, and personally i think the 4th gens are way better looking cars even though the new ones look awesome. Plus how many clean 4th gens do you see on a day to day bases? Id be willing to bet v6 5th gens are gonna be a dime a dozen like stangs, shit challengers are poppin up all over the place

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

If you got the $ Get the new gen. Shit the 6 banger has as much HP as the LS1. I'd get a New loaded SS.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Thread Information