Thread: need help ?

Red
    1996 Trans am

need help ?

hey i got a 2002 camaro ss. for the last 4 months the service engoine soon light has been on. My scanner says its code P1416 Secondary Air Injection (AIR) system Bank 2. I usually do my own service on my car, but having trouble figuring this one out. has anyone had this problem or experienced the problem that can help before i go nuts. i even tried erasing the computer but it comes back after about 50 miles. thanks

red

Take it loose and and look at it. Something must be restricting the air flow.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Replace or check the air check valve. Probably caked with carbon.

GM PN is 12565503.

Also available at a local auto parts store probably.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Okay -- how to diagnose your secondary air system:

First thing to check is if the pump runs after cold start up. Over the top of your driver side wheel well is a hose. Disconnect the hose at the union and start your car. There should be air blowing from the hose which runs up from the front end. If not, you'll need to check fuses and relays to ensure that there is power to the pump. If power checks out, but the pump is still not running then you will need to inspect the pump. It is located in front of the driver side wheel house and is accessed from underneath by removing the splash shield. Check connections and both the inlet and outlet hoses for any blockages. Remember -- the pump only runs on cold start up for a short period of time.

If that all checks out -- you then need to check if the air is flowing to the exhaust manifolds. On each side of the engine there is a tube bolted to the manifold. This runs up to a check valve onto which is clamped a rubber hose. Disconnect each clamp and pull the hose. Again, on cold start up you should have air blowing from the hoses. If not, you need to check the solenoid and diverter valve that are located on top of the engine, driver side, to the rear. The electric solenoid allows a vacuum signal to open the diverter valve such that air flows to the manifolds.

If this checks out, then the most likely culprit is that the check valves or manifold tubes are bad, or simply plugged up. This is what was wrong with our car. Two new check valves and all was good. Good luck.

Red
    1996 Trans am

thanks guys i was about to start taking it apart this weekend to check everything out

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Do you need to do emissions inspection? If no then yank it all out and tune out the codes.

That's what I did when I installed the headers.

Thread Information