Thread: need 650 hp

white
    1998 z28

need 650 hp

ok folks i dont know about going naturaly aspirated or turbocharge.i am looking to do most of the job my self.and i have a buget of aprox 6 grand.so far if i go turbo i will need forge pistons and rods +turbo kit from? or go naturaly and buy als3 block and stroker kit for 427ci.help me see the pro and con of both route.
    Last edited by alexs; 01-13-2010 at 09:18 AM.

You are going to have a real hard time hitting 650hp with a 6k budget even doing most of the work yourself. I don't think you would have a very street friendly car if you stay NA making that kind of HP even with a 427 and 6k is just not enough for an FI car to hit that kind of hp. You also need serious drivetrain and suspension upgrades for that kind of power.

If you want to get anywhere near that HP and still drive it on the street on a regular basis I would go with a custom front mount turbo set up or a procharger.

white
    1998 z28

i have all those mod done alredy so far i have head cam full exaust ,intake fast ,roller rocker, spec 3+clutch and aluminium flywheel,cold air ,12bolt 3.90gear,ect....

Ok so you have the drivetrain taken care of for the most part. A stock T56 is not going to stand up to that kind of power. If you are looking for something that has decent street manners I still think FI is the way to go for that kind of power. Even with a big stroker I don't see 650rwhp being very streetable. Personally I would go with a procharger but i'm partial to superchargers. If you have the skills or know someone that does you might get close to your goal and budget with a custom turbo set up. The only turbo kit I know of that is still made for our cars is an STS, it's not very good and would cost a fortune to get that kind of power out of it.

white
    1998 z28

you are right to say 650rwhp is hard to achive with big cube na but i was talking not 650 at the wheels but flywheel. or 550 rwhp with is probably at the limit of the stock t56.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by alexs View Post
    you are right to say 650rwhp is hard to achive with big cube na but i was talking not 650 at the wheels but flywheel. or 550 rwhp with is probably at the limit of the stock t56.
    The stock t-56 has broken under near stock power. Any stock tranny you launch hard with and shift hard with to get good times is gonna break. Since you have heads/cam, get a good intake manifold, forged bottom end, either 355 or 383. And me personally i would spend the rest on suspension, brake parts to get the car to hook better. If yo uwanna go FI you could get a low comp motor built and run it N/A for a while until you save up mreo to build a good FI setup. N/A low comp 383s still make 420-460whp. A really good FI setup can cost more than 6k alone
    Last edited by Zinergy; 01-14-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Black
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The stock t-56 has broken under near stock power. Any stock tranny you launch hard with and shift hard with to get good times is gonna break. Since you have heads/cam, get a good intake manifold, forged bottom end, either 355 or 383. And me personally i would spend the rest on suspension, brake parts to get the car to hook better. If yo uwanna go FI you could get a low comp motor built and run it N/A for a while until you save up mreo to build a good FI setup. N/A low comp 383s still make 420-460whp. A really good FI setup can cost more than 6k alone

I lost my T-56 one gear at a time running 397rwhp. $6k isn't much to spend to get what you're looking for. I have $6k in mods on mine to beef up the engine, heads, subframe connectors, etc.... then added a $1k HSW NO2 set up.
    I'm still far short of 650 so I can tell you that's not the route to take.
    And like said above...brake upgrades to stop because this car is a bitch to get slowed down.

white
    1998 z28

i have all the suspention done from a to z noting is stock any more .and i have a fast manifold on. what i basicaly need to know is what is the best route for making the power that i want.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

i know if i had 6k ready to drop into a the car i would go with the maggie kit from lmspeed.com

white
    1998 z28

last summer i did a 11.5 1/4 mile at 120 mph with 1.65 60`

white
    1998 z28

what is that kit from imspeed
    Last edited by alexs; 01-14-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Fire
    2002 SS

last summer i did a 11.5 1/4 mile at 120 mph with 1.65 60`
    Maybe you can use those numbers and your car weight to estimate your present horsepower and get an idea of how far you have to go.

Maybe run a garden hose from the nitrous bottle?
    Last edited by Vexzer; 01-14-2010 at 04:00 PM.

white
    1998 z28

i have put it on a dyno it made 435 rwhp AND 400 RWFT

white
    1998 z28

i do not whant nitrous, dont like the idea of runing out of power when i need it the most

Fire
    2002 SS

i have put it on a dyno it made 435 rwhp AND 400 RWFT
    Very Nice!
    So your pushing 500 at the crank now depending on how honest the dyno operator is...
    650 IS a long way to go. My friend has rear-mounted turbo's on her 'vette and it's around 650 to the wheels [with the mild tune]. But all I ever hear about the rear mounts for our cars is that the kit is junk -too bad.

white
    1998 z28

wye is that they have such a bad rep

Fire
    2002 SS

wye is that they have such a bad rep
    Just from what I read on here. Assembly and hardware integrity problems? Fitment? Could be issues with the buyers and not the product. My son installs them professionally and really likes them. What I like is the easy bolt-on & the way the car can remain relatively stock [if thats what you want].
    Your own research might find that it's perfect for your needs.

White
    2000 Z28

I would personally go with a front mount turbo set up. I'm not crazy about running oil lines back to the rear mounted turbos. Take a look at this site to get some ideas, their pricing is pretty good, but I don't know their track record. It's just something to consider. http://kentuckyturboandperformance.com/turbo.html

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

what is that kit from imspeed
    http://www.lmspeed.com/magnachargerl...hargerkit.aspx

i would definately go with this. no piping, no turbo lag. It would be way more reliable than a turbo system and way easier install. i could go on about the advatages but ill let you do the research yourself.

white
    1998 z28

tanks guys for the info

Thread Information