Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

My engine just blew....... Wtf!!!!!

Ive already been sitting here for three hours now waiting for this tow guy.

I'm on my way home from work this morning and pow my car just stops working randomly. Now bc my gauge is broke for my fuel i gotta go by milage. So I thought it was my gas. Wellllll it's not. I put gas in try to start it. OMG!!!! TBH, I can't describe the noise it made. But it definitely was good at all.

So Let me ask you guys something, but first here's my dilemma.

-I have a new moser9" rear in it($3800)/

-a rebuilt T65($1672)/ an DS

-I have everything to do a HCI swap. The setup from Tsp's 9 sec car. Thank god that I couldn't afford to put those parts on yet.

-can't afford new motor.

-I owe 35hundred still.

-it's my daily driver.

-Also have a baby girl coming in a couple weeks so now I need something that seats more and is a 4x4 (I will not drive a mini-van... Not happening)(lol)

What should I do? I am completely lost right now!!!
    Last edited by Eganslp; 07-28-2011 at 07:01 PM.
    The sound of your piss hitting the urinal.......yea it sounds feminine!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

sounds like your best bet is to part it out and buy the 4x4... that sucks bud...

another option is to snag a used ls1 from e-bay and have someone build it with the stuff you bought... i drove my daughter home from the hospital in my TA and have used it to drive her ever since... there is hope...

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

First you should find out whats really wrong, could be something simple. If your motor is trashed, look around for a used bottom end for cheap somewhere and throw your new heads on it.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Thanks guys!!!

@spaz- i may take your advice. I guess im prolly gonna end up parting it out. Wow!!! That's upsetting. I'm actually shedding "a" tear right now. (Lol I'm not crying), but it def. does hurt ya know. You work so hard for something & it can just be gone in the snap of a finger, or in this case a blown engine. Well that's what I'm pretty sure it is.

@mike- your right It may or may not be that extreme at all, and I'm not a mechanic to per-say. It's just the sound that I heard coming from this thing trying to start is bad. It definitely sounds internal. So then in that case I'm not gonna put 6k in new parts to a motor that has the potential to fail again later. So I may no choice, but to part her out!

So I had posted what had happen earlier up on Facebook. Now I have two of my friends wanting the shell. So I'll ask you guys what would you buy an '01SS SOM shell for?!?!
    When;
    -the silver strips are coming off
    -it's rear seats are out. I have them they're just out
    -sails are painted (blk)
    -I have half carpet (blk)
    -the original tops took flight. Got new ones with key to fit locks
    -the speedometer bezel cracked so I tossed it
    -ripped out old radio & wiring.
    -put a new one in with all new wiring
    -no cruise control, but I have the unit
    -no air conditioning. I have all the parts I just took it out.

I should probably post this up in another thread too.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

6k for a new motor.? Wow
    Mine is getting rebuilt for less than 3k with performance parts lol

How much you gonna ask for the carpet? Is it the front?

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    6k for a new motor.? Wow
    Mine is getting rebuilt for less than 3k with performance parts lol

How much you gonna ask for the carpet? Is it the front?
    6k yea thats what i spent just in motor parts from TSP a little while back.(but never put on)
    Well if you figure my heads from TSP alone were 3k, plus the fast 102mm intake is 1200 and the throttle body is like 500 or more. There's 4700$ with out cam lifters pushrods etc.
    Basically everything except pistons rods crank & bearings. I just don't have the money for a new block now, if i had destroyed something inside there.
    I mean I'm no mechanic by any means but it sounds like metal knocking around in there while trying to start it. The sad thing is... Is that there were only 57k on it it was still an adolescent lol. I still have the invoice from them. I'll see if I could upload it, if it doesn't have anything important on it.

As for the carpet Maro it's in the shittiest condition plus it's been cut from the original carpet. I just cut it in half bc I was making my own rear seat delete.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Sell your go fast parts and get a working car again. May suck, but your situation sounds like your trying to not get upside down with any debt. Especially with a baby coming.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

If parts start getting sold, or asked to be sold, this thread will be sliced and diced. Clearly OP is just asking for advice, not for ppl to start picking apart his car.

OP... you can put up a thread in the for sale section if you'd like. I've just seen many threads in this section with similar stories, and it's almost like they get turned into auctions. 100 ppl post about what they want...

So this is a pre warning now. Don't do that.

That is all

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Amen.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I haul my stepdaughters and their car seats around in my trans am. Theres no problem there.

But a smart thing to do would be sell the go fast parts and buy a short block. Thats what I would do. I'm selling my 300z to buy a t56 tranny. Its not what I want to do, but my only option.

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

Sell the heads or the heads and the intake and get a new block

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would not sell ANYTHING until you find out what is wrong. At this point you are simply speculating that the motor is ruined.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

where abouts in philly are ya egan??? i'm about 40 miles north of philly... i might be able to help ya tear the engine down if you're close enough...

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I would not sell ANYTHING until you find out what is wrong. At this point you are simply speculating that the motor is ruined.
    True 35th....very true!!!

I have a sound clip on my iPhone it's in the voice memos I just wouldn't know how to get it on here but if you guys pm me your email I can send it that way. If you guys wanna hear it.

black
    2001 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I would pull the valve covers 1st, inspection cover on bellhousing next, and then maybe the timing cover, check all the simple things first. It could just be a timing chain, if so who cares ur doing heads anyway right?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Eganslp View Post
    True 35th....very true!!!

I have a sound clip on my iPhone it's in the voice memos I just wouldn't know how to get it on here but if you guys pm me your email I can send it that way. If you guys wanna hear it.
    any updates???

Ray Charles blue

If cost is a thing and LS1 engines are to be found you could always drop a 5.3 or even perhaps a 4.8 in it (pretty cheap) and just save up some cash till you can fix it correctly with your go fast goodies.

Please, dont get rid of the car till you figure out what the problem is.

Sunset metallic orange
    '01 Camaro SS

Hey,
    sorry guys for the absents was busy hanging things and putting a baby crib together. Here's my update on what's going on. I have a ford escape as my second car. I normally let my wife use it to get to work but she's been on bed rest since July so now it gives me the chance to use it. I wouldn't have to search for a second car, if my lovely woman didn't smash the 2010 2SS, but it is... What it is I guess. So now I'm good but I'll definitely have to find another car/4x4 by oct. 1st. Im just hoping I can take out a loan. I haven't gone to the bank yet. With working nightshift I feel as tho I have no time. So that's it now. Sry for the wait I'll jeep you'd updated when status changes

@spaz- I live in (19136) its northeast mayfair section of phila. I'm not sure when I'll be able to start tearing her down. But by all means come on down if you got the time. Or if you would like see the SS and the ls1 being dismantled. Bc I don't know the first thing about ripping apart an LS1, so I figure I'll learn by this accident. A buddy of mine might let me use his garage at his house. (hopefully). But with my little girl coming I don't know when I'll find the time. I'm just hoping it's still nice out when I do.

@ TLS. I'm not gonna sell it, but I want to bc it so frustrating & I have no money.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Eganslp View Post
    @spaz- I live in (19136) its northeast mayfair section of phila. I'm not sure when I'll be able to start tearing her down. But by all means come on down if you got the time. Or if you would like see the SS and the ls1 being dismantled. Bc I don't know the first thing about ripping apart an LS1, so I figure I'll learn by this accident. A buddy of mine might let me use his garage at his house. (hopefully). But with my little girl coming I don't know when I'll find the time. I'm just hoping it's still nice out when I do.
    super... i'm like 30 - 45 mins away... let me know if you start the tear down...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Did I miss something or was the problem diagnosed?

Thread Information