Mustang Owner........

This is a discussion on Mustang Owner........ within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hiya Guys, I own a 1999 Mustang GT 5 SPD. I am looking to switch over to a 2002 Camaro ...

Black
    1999 Mustang GT

Mustang Owner........

Hiya Guys,

I own a 1999 Mustang GT 5 SPD. I am looking to switch over to a 2002 Camaro SS 6 SPD.

Just curious if I should be aware of anything such as noises, rattles, or feelings when buying the Camaro.

Basically I sold my old car which was a 2004 313 WHP SRT-4. I bought a motorcycle, and a Mustang. I bought the Stang well because it was the right price at the right time.

I am not biased what so ever. I love my Mustangs/Cobras as much as I love my Camaros/TAs. I also love my Muscle as much as I love my import tuners. So please don't put my car down or anything just looking for some help.

I would like to know how much power the stock block/tranny can hold.

How reliable is the Camaro? Any common problems I should know about?

Also what could I do to make an extremely fast car with very little money. However I want a reliable, and rather quiet car. My Mustang is too friggin loud. Its an over-kill, makes everyone think I have something to prove. I basically want a Rather Quiet daily driver that is fast as hell, and reliable.

Anything else you wanna add please do. Thanks ahead of time guys.

http://server5.pictiger.com/img/1017...71-12-full.jpg
    MY BROTHA FROM ANOTHA MOTHA!
    Last edited by lvlustang; 03-27-2007 at 10:57 PM.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by lvlustang View Post
    Hiya Guys,

I own a 1999 Mustang GT 5 SPD. I am looking to switch over to a 2002 Camaro SS 6 SPD.

Just curious if I should be aware of anything such as noises, rattles, or feelings when buying the Camaro.

Basically I sold my old car which was a 2004 313 WHP SRT-4. I bought a motorcycle, and a Mustang. I bought the Stang well because it was the right price at the right time.

I am not biased what so ever. I love my Mustangs/Cobras as much as I love my Camaros/TAs. I also love my Muscle as much as I love my import tuners. So please don't put my car down or anything just looking for some help.

I would like to know how much power the stock block/tranny can hold.

How reliable is the Camaro? Any common problems I should know about?

Also what could I do to make an extremely fast car with very little money. However I want a reliable, and rather quiet car. My Mustang is too friggin loud. Its an over-kill, makes everyone think I have something to prove. I basically want a Rather Quiet daily driver that is fast as hell, and reliable.

Anything else you wanna add please do. Thanks ahead of time guys.
    Click for full size
    MY BROTHA FROM ANOTHA MOTHA!
    welcome brother, i am secondgearscratch, the ls1.com resident e-thug. i just want to ATTEMPT to answer some of your questions and say welcome to vr4... i mean (ahem) LS1.com.

my uneducated, uninformed mind brings up a few answers....
    firstly i do not know stock tolerances, but i dont think there is one set number. for example, we all know a SUPRA short block can infact support 4000hp. that is the cut off so if your wanting to buy a couple new cams you may need to spend alittle extra "prepping the block".
    the ls1 isnt as strong as us ls1 owners want to think ofcourse, but if i was going to give my two cents i would change to chrome moly pushrods, new rocker arms and an ls2 timing chain (i heard those sucked so thats why i would get one) when you get a cam. the ls1 is totally unreliable and thats why we on this ls1 website own them, we like digging ourselves into deep ditches. it is RUMORED that the ls1 is an incredibly smooth, strong engine that produces a good amount of hp and tq stock and takes extremely well to mods and tuning. (all hear say of course) the ls1 allegedly benefits from a less restrictive exhaust starting with an inexpensive but strong header design (pacesetter, hooker, kooks), and longtubes are the norm bc they produce the most gains. it takes well to catback from magnaflow. the piece of shit f bodies are so horrible that the only thing really bad is the 10 bolt rear. beefing up the drivetrain of an f body will result in very impressive 60ft times and high trap speeds when coupled with even minor modifications.

they generally run mid to low 13s bone stock with ss and ws6 models breaking high 12s with a good driver. heads are good, cam is small but good overall usable torque curve for a stock car, the tremec 6 speed and 4l60 auto are both strong and the engine and whole car is a work of art. it handles, demolishes tires and it keeps a smile on your face and a stiffy in your drawers.

i wont go to in depth...dont want to sufficate you with misinformation....

p.s. this is called EXTREME SARCASM.

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

Ok.. Well Noises, check when you step on it theres no loud bang, check for engine clunking, check all standard stuff you would for a car, if it sounds weird im sure its a problem. One thing you need to know before buying a camaro is, they are either in really really good condition or beat to shit. Seems theres little that fall in between. Speed wise, how much you want? You should be in the 13's stock, with low money you could put some nitrous in it... Look at some of the other members cars on here they should have mods and times. But with 1-2k you can easily be int he 12's and keep your car "quiet". Theres also quite a few members in your area im sure you could ask one to inspect the car with you. Good luck!

Black
    1999 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Ok.. Well Noises, check when you step on it theres no loud bang, check for engine clunking, check all standard stuff you would for a car, if it sounds weird im sure its a problem. One thing you need to know before buying a camaro is, they are either in really really good condition or beat to shit. Seems theres little that fall in between. Speed wise, how much you want? You should be in the 13's stock, with low money you could put some nitrous in it... Look at some of the other members cars on here they should have mods and times. But with 1-2k you can easily be int he 12's and keep your car "quiet". Theres also quite a few members in your area im sure you could ask one to inspect the car with you. Good luck!
    Thanks man,

You were really helpful. Ya, 1-2K isn't much at all. I was talking about 6500 bucks for a supercharger. N20 isn't my thing, I want reliablity, comfort, and fast as hell. Exhaust being loud as hell, well isn't all that comfortable.

I will also put on the body kit that I've seen on the V6 Camaros. I think its called a RS Body Kit. Looks hot IMO. Also I will top it off with some 18" Chrome Z06 Deep Dish Rims. Possible lowering springs dependings on how low the body kit will be.

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

do you have aim? if not go into the live user chat

Pewter
    2000 z28

sorry man, i got off on a tangent (trouble with trolls).
    make damn sure you get headers and (i think) an x pipe and you can retain the cats and muffler if you so desire.
    assuming you like to save money you can deal with ppl on this site who sell quality shit for cheap and they will help you and answer ?s.

my take is this:
    full exhaust.... there are many different options as you know.
    but mainly get headers and the rest of the exhaust isnt as important as the headers.
    atleast try to get an 01-02 f body so you dont have to worry about E.G.R provisions (exhaust gas recirculation) it is standard on the 98-00 f bods and redirects expelled exhaust gasses back into the intake. it is just an added hassle to eliminate (you dont have to) but if you get an 01-02 you dont have to worry about it with the headers you choose.
    try to get the ls6 intake (01-02)
    drivetrain drivetrain drivetrain....
    inevidalby someone will ride you about getting some type of subframe connector to keep chassis flex in check. if you dont get them your car wont handle as well and when you start to mod you will have huge increases in door and trunk gaps because the body panels flex.
    get rid of the 10 bolt rear if you plan on anything being fast.
    if a 12 bolt wasnt so expensive this would certainly be everyones first mod.
    with drag radials you Will break the stock rear end. it isnt too debatable.
    i want a torque arm but if you dont get one off the bat it isnt a big deal. there are many suggestions, just use the search feature because everyone has asked your same question, myself included.
    once you get the drivetrain where it needs to be the sky is the limit. ls1s love lopy cams.

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

couldn't have said it much better.

Black
    1999 Mustang GT

IBDustin15-AIM

So you all don't think your wasting your time, and I am some guy talking bullshit.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_29460...tm.htm#2946039

Black
    1999 Mustang GT

Just so you guys don't think i'm a "troll"

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_29460...tm.htm#2946039

Pewter
    2000 z28

what the hell is that???
    is that where everyone is???