Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Mustang 5.0 vs 4th gen??

This is a discussion on Mustang 5.0 vs 4th gen?? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; What is the torque rating on it???...

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

What is the torque rating on it???

green / blue
    93 iroc r/t, ninja zx7r

I can tell you one thing, I am not looking forward to all the "It's a 5 litre" crap again. I already went through that and suffered enough.

You can't compare the size of these cars, as the camaro may have more cubic inches via ohv the mustang does it with dohc, as the 2011 will be a 5.0 dohc motor therefore will breath better. It would be interesting to see how much air each can flow to get a good comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    Not gonna get the torque with a lil ol 302 though
    Rated at 390 ft lbs. I'd say ya it's doing pretty good for a lil ol 302

If I'm not mistaken that's more than our beloved LS1's using 346 ci.

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    What is the torque rating on it???
    390 ft lbs. at 4200 rpms. Hp peak comes in at 6500 and 412 hp. Should be a pretty good performer looking at those numbers considering the size of the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    This is love/hate for me. Im not a mustang fan, like many of us on this forum.
    Guess that's where I differ. I'm not stuck on any one brand. There are several fords I'd own, like CJ torino's and mustangs. Love the 62-64 big body fords with 406's or 427's.
    I like the late 80's fox bodies as well for there small platform and stout drivetrains.
    There are even some Chryslers I'd own if I could afford it.

I have various pontiacs and chevrolets in the stable, that's the beauty of this hobby.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Guess that's where I differ. I'm not stuck on any one brand. There are several fords I'd own, like CJ torino's and mustangs. Love the 62-64 big body fords with 406's or 427's.
    I like the late 80's fox bodies as well for there small platform and stout drivetrains.
    There are even some Chryslers I'd own if I could afford it.

I have various pontiacs and chevrolets in the stable, that's the beauty of this hobby.
    Ive been raised on gm...I guess that since its pretty much all i have worked on from bumper to bumper, i have developed a preference for them. Mustang disgusted me from 94-04, so many of them out there and just got tired of seeing them. Im warming up to the newer generation, but still prefer my gm roots.

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    Ive been raised on gm...I guess that since its pretty much all i have worked on from bumper to bumper, i have developed a preference for them. Mustang disgusted me from 94-04, so many of them out there and just got tired of seeing them. Im warming up to the newer generation, but still prefer my gm roots.
    I don't care much for the 94-04 mustang either, guess that's the SN95 style?? I've always thought they were ugly. But when ford went back to their roots and redesigned it to mimic a 65 they hit the nail on the head.
    I also prefer the pre SN95 days of the fox bodies. Just like that boxy style.

I'll admit, I was raised GM, and still primarily feel that way. But I worked on alot of classic cars for years and got to learn the good and bad about everything, even GM. When it comes to classics, there are alot of them I'd park in the garage, Ford, Chrysler, doesn't matter. There are some great cars from that era from all makes.
    Guess that's why I enjoy open car events like Goodguys. You get a taste of everything. An event for one brand gets a bit boring to me.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

If i had an unlimited supply of money i would have my car now + a 04 Cobra Terminator + The new ZR-1 + A Lotus Elise supercharged + A Evo 9 for a daily driver so as i interpret what you said firebird jones i guess we all stray from our roots sometimes if the cars are sexy enough

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

"Whatever spins your crankshaft" is what I always say. I've owned cars from all 3 american makers from a 72 roadrunner, to a 69 corvair with a sbc 400 in the back seat, to a 23 ford t-bucket, to a 86 mustang, and many others - including non-american, and I've enjoyed all of them. It didn't really matter what other's thought - I liked them. So I'm always interested in what the car manufacturers are putting out. And I'm interested in what people do with the cars that I may not care for as much, too. Variety is the spice of life, right?
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

69 dodge w/ 225 slant 6...that thing was bulletproof......68 impala fastback...loved that car but it was heavy! 95 trans am formula, my first f-body...i was hooked until the rear gear gave out, then i messed up and traded it for a 4x4 jimmy.....2000 formula....loved that car most of all...but it was stolen........now im in the 81 vette...its growin on me.

Black
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    wow all this talk and no one has addressed the biggest problem the new mustangs have had....traction ..more so the gt500 etc...people get caught up in the number game..but shown by the gt500..those numbers arent shit when a 500+ mustang runs 12.8ish on stock tires. i expect the same for the new 5.0 ..will make good numbers...but traction will be a issue. With better tires i expect to see a stock car minus the tires be in the 12s.
    Having a Roush P51-B that pushes 539rwhp, tires are most certainly the downfall of the car until about 80 and you actually find traction. I asked over and over why they don't offer a better tire for these type cars and was told, you have to please the majority and the majority doesn't drag race.
    They put on Zeon RS3 tires which are pretty sticky, but nothing compared to a MT drag slick.
    As for 2011 GT times, pretty sure they will break 13 seconds as is. They've come a long way, not to mention a 3.73 rear and track pak suspension available.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    "Whatever spins your crankshaft" is what I always say. I've owned cars from all 3 american makers from a 72 roadrunner, to a 69 corvair with a sbc 400 in the back seat, to a 23 ford t-bucket, to a 86 mustang, and many others - including non-american, and I've enjoyed all of them. It didn't really matter what other's thought - I liked them. So I'm always interested in what the car manufacturers are putting out. And I'm interested in what people do with the cars that I may not care for as much, too. Variety is the spice of life, right?
    You are exactly right. I have a feeling we'd hit it off pretty well as car buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    I asked over and over why they don't offer a better tire for these type cars and was told, you have to please the majority and the majority doesn't drag race.
    You could always put in an order for one of the factory Cobra Jet drag cars they make,,,they come with sticky tires you are looking for

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

You could always put in an order for one of the factory Cobra Jet drag cars they make,,,they come with sticky tires you are looking for
    When did this become an option???

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    When did this become an option???
    Seriously?? These cars have been out for a couple years now.

It's basically a drag race package ready to go Super Stock racing. I forget which class they were designed for, but they run bottom 10's right off the bat, and come with a full cage installed, a 9 inch ford (solid axle) and your choice of transmissions, Goodyear slicks, the whole 9 yards, and offered with a stout 3 speed auto, trans brake etc...or a Jerico 4 speed.
    The first year when ordered with a standard trans they came with the factory 6 speed that was in all the production stangs,,,,of course that didn't work well, they were breaking. Ford quickly corrected that this year with the Jerico.
    First year they only made 50, but it was so popular they did it again this year. Chrysler even jumped on that band wagon with a new charger drag package, also running in the 10's. GM however has yet to build anything unfortunately.

I was lucky early last year while I was out at a test and tune session. An R&D person for Center Force had one of the first prototype Cobra Jet drag cars at the track that day. It was given to them for clutch testing. It was one of the first editions with the 6 speed.
    He never got to experiment with clutches much, the trans broke after the first run.
    Ironically, a very well known cobra jet drag racer from the 70's (who still owns the very 68 cobra jet he bought new and won championship with) bought one of these new edition drag cars, and also broke the 6 speed. He pulled the Jerico from his 68 cobra jet and stuck it in the new edition, and went on to win his class this year with the car. They are making a pretty good reputation already in the Super Stock ranks.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-19-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Black
    1999 WS6

They only made so many and all are spoken for or I probably would have one of those as well.
    If I put the 15" MT slicks on this car, its pulling 7.06 1/8ths as is, not many believe it especially for an M5, but its a killer for a newer Mustang.

black
    2002 Z28

well if u race at the track with slicks they'll take us cuz we'll b sitting at the line with a broken rear , the mustang still wont make the torque are cars make, just remember guys it's a mustang there HP numbers always lie , just think of how shitty the vintage 5.0's are

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

^ you can say that again

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    Having a Roush P51-B that pushes 539rwhp, tires are most certainly the downfall of the car until about 80 and you actually find traction. I asked over and over why they don't offer a better tire for these type cars and was told, you have to please the majority and the majority doesn't drag race.
    They put on Zeon RS3 tires which are pretty sticky, but nothing compared to a MT drag slick.
    As for 2011 GT times, pretty sure they will break 13 seconds as is. They've come a long way, not to mention a 3.73 rear and track pak suspension available.

If you have 539 rwhp and are blaming the tires you definitely need to understand more about traction.

A c6 zr1 has about that and they dont seem to be complaining. what gears do you have?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information