Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Mustang 5.0 vs 4th gen??

This is a discussion on Mustang 5.0 vs 4th gen?? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by shady milkman wow all this talk and no one has addressed the biggest problem the new mustangs ...

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    wow all this talk and no one has addressed the biggest problem the new mustangs have had....traction ..more so the gt500 etc...people get caught up in the number game..but shown by the gt500..those numbers arent shit when a 500+ mustang runs 12.8ish on stock tires. i expect the same for the new 5.0 ..will make good numbers...but traction will be a issue. With better tires i expect to see a stock car minus the tires be in the 12s.
    that's true, but in the gt500's case the blower makes alot more power under the curve than an n\a engine. i think a new 5.0 will be easier to launchh than a gt500

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    that's true, but in the gt500's case the blower makes alot more power under the curve than an n\a engine. i think a new 5.0 will be easier to launchh than a gt500
    this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    ^^^ Thats true about modding apples to apples. I remember going and test driving mustangs every time they came out with a new one and it was always disappointing for some reason. I tried on several occasions to buy a mustang and eventually did buy one but nothing compared to a LT1 or LS1. This time i think they got it right and i will probably get a chance to drive one hopefully and get an idea of how it is. From what im reading so far it sounds really good.
    My neighbors daughter, who was looking at new camaro's, decided on a mustang. She had one picked and was ready to buy when the reports came out of the new model with more HP.

She is now waiting for that one to hit showrooms, which I think is a smart move. Soon there will be one parked near me. I can't wait to see it.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

and race it haha

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

is it going to look any different

RED
    2002/Z28

I just google 2012 GT Mustang I read that it should be a high 12s car out the box. It said 10 years ago they where hard up to hit 13s in the 1/4.

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Well this run for the stang will be good for about a year till they revise the stang in 2012 i heard, so it will be heavier. The 2011 Stang GT should sell really well and i also think they've done a great job with the car, finally. I think a full bolt on LS1 can keep up but once the stang is modded i dont think we have a chance unless your cammed like some of the people on here, lucky bastards. Just like others have said ill wait and see some reviews on it and see the reliability of the car and go from there.
    I agree, I think this new 2011 GT is a serious threat. I think you will need a good HCI setup to keep it in check. If the aftermarked gets to work on it quickly which im sure they will you could be looking at a bolt on GT putting down close to 450HP easy. I looked at one at the local auto show and according to the sales people the new v8 will start around $30K. It this is true GM is in trouble with the camaro because the cheapest SS I have ever seen was 38K.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    I agree, I think this new 2011 GT is a serious threat. I think you will need a good HCI setup to keep it in check. If the aftermarked gets to work on it quickly which im sure they will you could be looking at a bolt on GT putting down close to 450HP easy. I looked at one at the local auto show and according to the sales people the new v8 will start around $30K. It this is true GM is in trouble with the camaro because the cheapest SS I have ever seen was 38K.
    I don't think that it will take that much to run with one... a good bolt on/ cam setup for a LS1 should be around mid to low 11's.... and yes that is without heads....

Quote Originally Posted by najaf4life View Post
    I don't think that it will take that much to run with one... a good bolt on/ cam setup for a LS1 should be around mid to low 11's.... and yes that is without heads....
    Although there are some cam only LS1's in the 11's, What remains to be seen is how aftermarket parts affect the new mustang. I don't think it would be out of reason to expect these mustangs with bolts on's, and cams only to be in the 11's as well.
    Lets face it,,,apples to apples, Ford has built something that is a serious threat.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Although there are some cam only LS1's in the 11's, What remains to be seen is how aftermarket parts affect the new mustang. I don't think it would be out of reason to expect these mustangs with bolts on's, and cams only to be in the 11's as well.
    Lets face it,,,apples to apples, Ford has built something that is a serious threat.
    it is still modular. we will see how the noob responds to mods period. the 4.6s did little with internal mods. i dont know if the engine design will be that big of a difference. obviously the size jump will benefit na internal mods but i dont see a mod motor responding to cams half as well as a rod motor does. na i dont expect it to go higher than an ls1 limits. hell 4.6s would hardpressed to hit 400whp na which is why people get so boost happy.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Don't forget also when the discussion gets to apples to apples we need to compare a late model Camaro to the late model Mustang. Comparing a new Mustang to a 4th gen is apples to oranges. After all the new Mustang has more than 10 years of product development on the 4th gen LS1 cars. If GM had continued building these machines they would be much faster in stock form than the next Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    it is still modular. we will see how the noob responds to mods period. the 4.6s did little with internal mods. i dont know if the engine design will be that big of a difference. obviously the size jump will benefit na internal mods but i dont see a mod motor responding to cams half as well as a rod motor does. na i dont expect it to go higher than an ls1 limits. hell 4.6s would hardpressed to hit 400whp na which is why people get so boost happy.
    I've seen plenty of NA 4.6 motors in the 11's, not hard to do, just a little more expensive. There are simple bolt on head/cam packages for the 4.6's offered that produce 400 rwhp. There are some serious mod motors out there if you look.
    I don't see why this new 5.0 would be any different, actually should be better with more cubes to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Don't forget also when the discussion gets to apples to apples we need to compare a late model Camaro to the late model Mustang. Comparing a new Mustang to a 4th gen is apples to oranges. After all the new Mustang has more than 10 years of product development on the 4th gen LS1 cars. If GM had continued building these machines they would be much faster in stock form than the next Mustang.
    To me when comparing apples to apples, year differences don't come into play so much. I try to keep it simple.

Such as NA verses NA, stock verses stock, etc....

Whether the new stang has 10 years advantage in technoligy over a 4th gen doesn't matter, because we choose to drive these 4th gens and be behind the 8 ball, but we don't have to. I'm not going to make excuses when one of my 4th gens get beat,,,who cares. There is always something out there faster, whether a new car or a 40 year old muscle car. I'm not saying you are making excuses, but that sure sounds like one scenario,,,"well his car is 10 years newer with better technoligy" I've never let that stop me before.

Run what ya brung,,,know what I mean??? If it wasn't enough, then maybe we should go out and buy a new mustang
    All kidding aside, it will be interesting to see how they run in real conditions.

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by najaf4life View Post
    Well the question is would a bolt on LS1 car with this cam only setup be able to pull this off on the street. Pullin that off at the track with the right slicks is one thing, pullin that off on the street with street tires is another matter. Not saying that it can't happen but this frankly doesnt give me much comfort. Keep in mind were talkin a stock Mustang GT with 412hp that alone in my book makes it a contender especially if the weight is right. Throw in a better intake, long tube setup, full exhaust and a decent tune and I guarantee that thing is gonna be knockin down 450hp easy. If you think your cam only setup is gonna get the job done you could be in for a rude awakening. I think the 4th gen should be looking at a complete HCI to play ball now JMO.

As far as the apples to oranges comparison the price of the new SS is just to high IMO. I think your gonna see many more of these new mustangs on the street over the new camaro just from a price standpoint. Your talking almost the same horsepower in both platforms and a $7 to $8K price difference. I stopped and looked at a few SS's today and everything they had on the lot was $40K or better. With many of us keeping our 4th gens I expect battle to take place between these too more often then the new SS.
    Last edited by Lethal Z; 02-13-2010 at 02:18 PM.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Lethal Z , i know what your saying as far as pricing meaning around 38k for a 1SS but we have now a 1SS with an A6 (995.00 option) and Boston Acoustics sound(495.00 option) at 33,755 at our dealer. So if you get it as a base model with a manual tranny your closer to the 31k range.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Nothing breathes like an ls1 with full bolt ons. the dyno graph for an ls1 is impressive, it is simply one of the best small block engines ever built. a 5.0 stang with full bolt ons would prob beat a ls1 with the same mods,remember it does have a full 100 more rwhp stock than the ls1. but i bet the power curve on the 5.0 isnt as nice......

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

most car manufactures are designing cars now for a more overall driving experience. they will take a slower 1/4 mile time for a faster road course time. stock for stock, the new mustang would spank a 4th gen on a road course. and im sure thats more what they were going for. with that said, i think mustangs are junk, and i too am sick of their inflated hp numbers and under performing cars. ill take my modded 4th gen over a mustang any day.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

thats the truth! i want the raw power a ls1 offers ( and i think it has a pretty darn good driving experience as well!). but the mustang has always outsold the camaro even though it offers less power, more weight, and in the past sloppier handling. i think the general public is intimidated by a powerful v8 and a 6 speed. it does look like we will have some good races come 2011!!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by camaroluvr447 View Post
    thats the truth! i want the raw power a ls1 offers ( and i think it has a pretty darn good driving experience as well!). but the mustang has always outsold the camaro even though it offers less power, more weight, and in the past sloppier handling. i think the general public is intimidated by a powerful v8 and a 6 speed. it does look like we will have some good races come 2011!!
    yea a stock fbody is fun to drive in a straight line. with out suspension upgrades they handle like poop. ive driven a lot of cars with less power, but are more fun to buzz around town in. ie. 350Z, corvette, EVO, to name a few. and thats what a lot of people are looking for.

and mustangs have out sold camaros and firebirds forever. they are just plain cheaper.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've seen plenty of NA 4.6 motors in the 11's, not hard to do, just a little more expensive. There are simple bolt on head/cam packages for the 4.6's offered that produce 400 rwhp. There are some serious mod motors out there if you look.
    I don't see why this new 5.0 would be any different, actually should be better with more cubes to play with.
    im not saying they dont run with the proper equipment, it just happens to be a lot easier to boost them and get more that just 400 hp. here in vegas the mustang crowd's seem to be juiced or boosted as far as the serious guys go. they just dont go n/a because its too much money for too little performance. i would expect their high power head cam kits to be far from dd just like our high power ones are.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information