Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 116

Mustang 5.0 vs 4th gen??

This is a discussion on Mustang 5.0 vs 4th gen?? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Just want to see how everyone thinks the new 5.0 will hold with the a 4th gen with bolt ons. ...

  1. #1
    Member camaroluvr447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    234

    Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

    Mustang 5.0 vs 4th gen??

    Just want to see how everyone thinks the new 5.0 will hold with the a 4th gen with bolt ons. The stang has 416hp with A6 or M6 weighs a little less that the current stangs.

    BTW I am so sick of all the mustang fans bragging about the 5.0. My friends are like "yeah, 5 liters with the 6 speed! what do say to that?" I say chevy has had that since 1993!

  2. #2
    Awaiting Activation
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    odessa,texas
    Posts
    1,056

    69 hugger orange
    98 z28

    it should be a good match we have all seen what there supercharged cars have done so im not too worried about the power but i will say if the numbers are legit it should be able to give a bolt on ls1 a good run with that six speed

  3. #3
    Senior Member 00z28bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    las vegas, nv
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,390

    white
    2000 Z28

    i guess we will have to see how the power curve will be. i get the feeling it wont be anywhere close to the 4.6. not power wise just the shape of the curve. obviously the 5.0 will be higher but i expect the tq to change a lot with the displacement increase.

  4. #4
    Member camaroluvr447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Steubenville, Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    234

    Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

    yeah, i think a ls1 with full bolt on should be able to stand up to a 5.0. the power curve will important though, but the ls1 is a hard engine to beat. I know the 5.0 has variable valve timing and DOHC. they should release the track times soon.

  5. #5
    Member kevnstac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Woodstock
    Age
    57
    Posts
    211

    Black
    1999 WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by camaroluvr447 View Post
    yeah, i think a ls1 with full bolt on should be able to stand up to a 5.0. the power curve will important though, but the ls1 is a hard engine to beat. I know the 5.0 has variable valve timing and DOHC. they should release the track times soon.
    Should be a 13.0 second car, around 111mph given all the tests I've seen so far.
    Lots of mods available for it already though...this will be fun.

  6. #6
    Four Seat Vette 10spokess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    pasadena md
    Posts
    2,034
    Blog Entries
    2

    Black
    2002 SS Camaro

    I just wanna see the look of one after i beat them lol... i can picture there sad faces right now saying "but its a 5.0 and not a 4.6 anymore wt hell man" :-( lol

  7. #7
    EVIL-LS1 EVIL-LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fredericksburg,Virginia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    345

    RED
    2002/Z28

    Like said above the LS1 is hard to beat. When you mod them there a whole different beast.

  8. #8
    Member DVrec21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    202

    Pewter
    99 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    I just wanna see the look of one after i beat them lol... i can picture there sad faces right now saying "but its a 5.0 and not a 4.6 anymore wt hell man" :-( lol
    by mustang 5.0 I assume u guys are talking about the new 2010's??? Well i dont know how a stock ls1 will hold against it but I do know that my friends built evo MR spanked one at a light. It was an older guy in a blue 2010 stang and when we left the light we let off the gas because we pulled ahead instantly... the mustang barely broke out sideways, then when he came neck and neck wit us my man floored it and started to loose him again, got back off of it then back into it again just to piss the guy off. funny thing is we still spanked him by like 4 to 5 cars. We were laughin at the guy when we pulled up to the next light hahaa!!
    btw: my friends evo is no where close to stock...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    by mustang 5.0 I assume u guys are talking about the new 2010's??? Well i dont know how a stock ls1 will hold against it but I do know that my friends built evo MR spanked one at a light. It was an older guy in a blue 2010 stang and when we left the light we let off the gas because we pulled ahead instantly... the mustang barely broke out sideways, then when he came neck and neck wit us my man floored it and started to loose him again, got back off of it then back into it again just to piss the guy off. funny thing is we still spanked him by like 4 to 5 cars. We were laughin at the guy when we pulled up to the next light hahaa!!
    btw: my friends evo is no where close to stock...
    2010 mustang is a 4.6 3 valve with 315hp not the new 5.0 with 412. The new 5.0 will start with the 2011 stang gt and hasn't been released yet. But yes a evo with many mods should take both. Built doesnt really tell anyone anything, i know guys with built evo and sti engines that just have forged internals with a slightly larger than stock turbo, they only put down 350-400whp but they have made there cars much more reliable.

    As for the mustang barley breaking it sideways thats a good thing. You dont want to spin your tires or go sideways off the line, that means your not getting traction and therefore are launching to hard like a novice.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 02-08-2010 at 02:00 PM.

  10. #10
    Member DVrec21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PA
    Age
    28
    Posts
    202

    Pewter
    99 z28

    Yeh I knoww.... he hooked good was my point. Even with a good launch we still had him by far. and oh wow a 4.6 makin over 400hp?? Thats got to be supercharged.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by DVrec21 View Post
    Yeh I knoww.... he hooked good was my point. Even with a good launch we still had him by far. and oh wow a 4.6 makin over 400hp?? Thats got to be supercharged.
    The new 5.0 has 412hp the 4.6 only had 315hp.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,083

    SOM
    2002 SS

    11 gt should be a 110 ish mph car stock. We all know theres too many variables to take into account like comparing a 4th gen at a different track with a different DA than the new 5L at englishtown. imo it will run even with a bolt on 4th gen. I'd go as far as saying a bolt on Ls1 with a cam will leave it behind.

  13. #13
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    My bolt on (no cam) 02 with 47,xxx miles on it goes 12.5x @ 107+ with 1.7x 60' in the quarter. My buddies bolt on with cam 01 B4C with 140,xxx miles on it goes 11.7x @ 114+ with 1.5x 60' in the quarter. Both could be daily driven if need be (neither is though).

    These times are at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix which has (at best) a DA of around 1500 (usually much higher {~3500} as it's now "winter" here).

    As shown it doesn't take much to get an LS1 F body to go fast/quick...
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 02-08-2010 at 06:09 PM.

  14. #14
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    11 gt should be a 110 ish mph car stock. We all know theres too many variables to take into account like comparing a 4th gen at a different track with a different DA than the new 5L at englishtown. imo it will run even with a bolt on 4th gen. I'd go as far as saying a bolt on Ls1 with a cam will leave it behind.
    And that's exactly why it's misleading. As you mentioned, I'm sure all the track tests that come in will be from Englishtown, with negative DA numbers.
    I'm betting that what ever they test with this car,,,it would be safe to knock off 2-3 tenths and 2-3 mph for the rest of the country Not to mention your average driver.

    My hats off to ford though. They have finally built a naturally aspirated mustang that will more than likely spank a stock 4th gen, maybe even give a 5th gen a run for it's money,,,,and they did it without power adders,,,,woohoo ford.
    I'll wait until the track times actually make press and see for sure.

  15. #15
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Woodlands/spring/houston
    Posts
    2,142

    pewter
    99 trans am

    yea, at least now the boys in the mustangs will have something to feel good about when they rev at the light, as opposed to the false hope they have in their 4.6's now days.

  16. #16
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    wow all this talk and no one has addressed the biggest problem the new mustangs have had....traction ..more so the gt500 etc...people get caught up in the number game..but shown by the gt500..those numbers arent shit when a 500+ mustang runs 12.8ish on stock tires. i expect the same for the new 5.0 ..will make good numbers...but traction will be a issue. With better tires i expect to see a stock car minus the tires be in the 12s.

  17. #17
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    Well this run for the stang will be good for about a year till they revise the stang in 2012 i heard, so it will be heavier. The 2011 Stang GT should sell really well and i also think they've done a great job with the car, finally. I think a full bolt on LS1 can keep up but once the stang is modded i dont think we have a chance unless your cammed like some of the people on here, lucky bastards. Just like others have said ill wait and see some reviews on it and see the reliability of the car and go from there.

  18. #18
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    wow all this talk and no one has addressed the biggest problem the new mustangs have had....traction ..more so the gt500 etc...people get caught up in the number game..but shown by the gt500..those numbers arent shit when a 500+ mustang runs 12.8ish on stock tires. i expect the same for the new 5.0 ..will make good numbers...but traction will be a issue. With better tires i expect to see a stock car minus the tires be in the 12s.
    That's pretty much the case with any car that makes power on stock rubber.

  19. #19
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Well this run for the stang will be good for about a year till they revise the stang in 2012 i heard, so it will be heavier. The 2011 Stang GT should sell really well and i also think they've done a great job with the car, finally. I think a full bolt on LS1 can keep up but once the stang is modded i dont think we have a chance unless your cammed like some of the people on here, lucky bastards. Just like others have said ill wait and see some reviews on it and see the reliability of the car and go from there.
    I think ford has done great as well. I've always liked the mustangs. If you want to compare stock for stock, it appears the mustang might have the advantage.
    But since there are very few stock 4th gens running around,,,I would prefer to compare mustang performance in modded form, it's only fair right???

    With that said, and looking at how performance predictions are already coming out with trap speeds around 110 stock, it's probably safe to say one that is modded with bolts ons, tune, and what ever other goodies the aftermarket has in store, these stangs could be running 115+ no sweat on motor only. That's enough to give most anything fits on the street when you think about it. That's LS1 with cam territory (and all supporting mods of course). Only time will tell.

    Just trying to keep it "apples to apples"

  20. #20
    Senior Member karpetcm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Tujunga, CA
    Posts
    1,646

    White
    01 Camaro 6speed

    ^^^ Thats true about modding apples to apples. I remember going and test driving mustangs every time they came out with a new one and it was always disappointing for some reason. I tried on several occasions to buy a mustang and eventually did buy one but nothing compared to a LT1 or LS1. This time i think they got it right and i will probably get a chance to drive one hopefully and get an idea of how it is. From what im reading so far it sounds really good.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mustang gt's??
    By Transamws6 in forum Domestics and Foreigns
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 06:28 AM
  2. 05 Red Mustang GT
    By Z06-Goose in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 09:39 PM
  3. ls1 vs mustang gt
    By midnightnavyz28 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 05:56 PM
  4. here's my mustang...
    By sit_back in forum Member's Rides
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 08:42 PM
  5. 06 Mustang GT vs. 99 z28
    By raybroussard in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 01:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •