Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

the motor is out......pics!

This is a discussion on the motor is out......pics! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 wait i read somewhere that ls6 had a lil bit more cubic inches than the ls1 ...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    wait i read somewhere that ls6 had a lil bit more cubic inches than the ls1 but was still considered a 5.7
    Negative

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

hehe sorry sir.mod!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    hehe sorry sir.mod!

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

You won't be disappointed at all!

RED 35TH ANIVERSARY PKG
    2002 CAMARO SS 35th LE

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Actually the heads are different. The LS2 has the same port shape and dimensions of the LS6 heads but the LS2 does not use the hollow stem lightweight valves like the LS6 has. Also I believe the combustion chamber volume is smaller on the LS6 head giving it a slight bump in compression as well.
    Everyone says the LS2 heads are LS6 heads,,,,well ya kinda,,,but not completely. You mentioned the hollow stem valves with sodium filled exhaust valves earlier in this post,,,LS6 only stuff. I could say my fathers 02 3/4 ton truck with the 6.0 litre has LS6 heads too,,,because they too are patterned off of the LS6 port deimensions, d shaped exhuast ports etc....but the combustion chamber is much larger,,,and no hollow stem valves. Oh well.

One thing I cannot get passed though is this LS6 engine price. I checked with my dealer a few weeks ago while checking into this and they confirmed that this is indeed a remanufactured engine for $2999. Whether it is or not I am still up in the air,,,I haven't laid my eyes on one,,,and it would have to be disassembled to be sure. But it still sounds like a great deal and I wouldn't let that shy me away from it. I have been half tempted to buy one now and stick it in the corner of the garage (before they are not available anymore) and wait for the day my car needs it. I just have to convince my wife that I need it
    the LS-2 and LS-6 share the same castings in the heads. but the valves are different as you pointed out firebirdjones. I think the valve train is pretty much the same except for the valves. Now here is the weird thing I drove both an LS-6 vett and an LS-2 vet.. The LS-6 vett pulled really hard off the line lots of torque and handle really well.. As with the LS-2 vett. it didn't seem to pull off the line that hard but once it was up to speed watch out. What I mean by that is the LS-2 vett would spank the LS-6 on the freeway. it pulled harder in 3rd and 4th than the LS-6 did on the freeway.. either way both motors are good.. The only reason I would go with an LS-2 is that it has a bigger bore 4".. compared to 3.90". You could outfit it with some LS-7 heads or the L92 heads with an L76 intake.. Now thats some power.. It would be just about the same if not more than the LS-7..

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

"89017653 GOODWRENCH LS6 COMPLETE 8 CYLINDER ASSEMBLY
    Features aluminum cylinder block, casting number 12561168, aluminum cylinder heads, and an aluminum oil pan. Includes aluminum valve covers (aluminum finish), harmonic balancer, oil filter, front cover, and camshaft position sensor.
    Only original replacement parts are used in every GM Goodwrench remanufactured engine. And new design enhancements and product improvements are incorporated into every remanufactured engine."

So its not a remanufactured engine?
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

3k for an ls6? wow...

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

*SIGH* This is really starting to get old.........It's a NEW MOTOR okay! Just ask any of the guys in this forum who have done this swap. They put that disclaimer on every single motor they sell!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I should post mt manifest showing that it's a brand new engine. Can I get some help from all the guys out there who have already done with swap too...Brian, are you there?

SOM
    '01SS Camaro,'09 Z06

If I remember correctly the LS6 block came in most of the later production '01SS and some '02 as well, mine included. GM was changing the casting method used for the LS1, so they used the LS6 block for several months. One of the major differences is that the LS6 had openings above the mains that allows quicker movement of the air below the psitons as the cylinders come down, this allowed increased piston speed. Photos are available in GM High Performance a coulpe of years back.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    *SIGH* This is really starting to get old.........It's a NEW MOTOR okay! Just ask any of the guys in this forum who have done this swap. They put that disclaimer on every single motor they sell!!!!!!!!!! Maybe I should post mt manifest showing that it's a brand new engine. Can I get some help from all the guys out there who have already done with swap too...Brian, are you there?
    their new

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information