Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

the motor is out......pics!

This is a discussion on the motor is out......pics! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 1fastgto the LS2 is 400hp not 345 At the flywheel, not a the rear wheels, which is ...

Red
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastgto View Post
    the LS2 is 400hp not 345
    At the flywheel, not a the rear wheels, which is what was posted.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

The LS2 and LS6 share the same heads, one of the biggest differances in the two engines is the LS2's ability to use cylinder deactivation. Different cam profile too. The block has a few upgrades as well. Knock sensors moved etc...

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    The LS2 and LS6 share the same heads, one of the biggest differances in the two engines is the LS2's ability to use cylinder deactivation. Different cam profile too. The block has a few upgrades as well. Knock sensors moved etc...
    Actually the heads are different. The LS2 has the same port shape and dimensions of the LS6 heads but the LS2 does not use the hollow stem lightweight valves like the LS6 has. Also I believe the combustion chamber volume is smaller on the LS6 head giving it a slight bump in compression as well.
    Everyone says the LS2 heads are LS6 heads,,,,well ya kinda,,,but not completely. You mentioned the hollow stem valves with sodium filled exhaust valves earlier in this post,,,LS6 only stuff. I could say my fathers 02 3/4 ton truck with the 6.0 litre has LS6 heads too,,,because they too are patterned off of the LS6 port deimensions, d shaped exhuast ports etc....but the combustion chamber is much larger,,,and no hollow stem valves. Oh well.

One thing I cannot get passed though is this LS6 engine price. I checked with my dealer a few weeks ago while checking into this and they confirmed that this is indeed a remanufactured engine for $2999. Whether it is or not I am still up in the air,,,I haven't laid my eyes on one,,,and it would have to be disassembled to be sure. But it still sounds like a great deal and I wouldn't let that shy me away from it. I have been half tempted to buy one now and stick it in the corner of the garage (before they are not available anymore) and wait for the day my car needs it. I just have to convince my wife that I need it

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I stand corrected! You are absolutely correct about the valves, and combustion chamber shape. Funny coincidence, yesterday I ordered another exact LS6 from crateenginedepot, and this time I got a little more info on WHY the price is so low, and what gives with them selling two different LS6's for a drastically different price. (This one is for a friend of mine)

Okay...Because the engine has a CADILLAC part number...GM "doesn't know" these are going into F bodies..right! They are only suppossed to sell them to people putting them into CTS-V cars. (They DID ask me both times if it was going into a CTS-V) I'll give them that. Secondly, because it was a limited run, I think only two years, but I may be wrong, they don't stock many of them because the Caddy guys don't beat them up, like the Vette guys do, so there is SUPPOSSED to less demand for them. Also, something I didn't find out when I bought mine...was that mine came with a 12/12 warranty whereas the $4725.00 engine comes with a 3/36K warranty. BUT, because of the mods done to mine anyway, the warranty was null and void.

He even went so far as to tell me that the engines are identical, and the same in every single detail, something I already knew, and trust me..they are brand new, remember that we tore mine apart to install the cam, double roller bla bla bla. Brand new shiny aluminum in there, ever seen a used LS motor where the oil has been in it?

If you think that you can talk your wife into it, buy one now, but I don't think they're going to stop stocking them anytime soon, when I ordered this one, they just received 4 more!

Side note: BOTH engines are rated at 405HP, but when it's INSTALLED in the CTS-V, it's rated at 400HP because the exhaust is more restrictive on the Caddy. I hope this helped you out a little. You can count on spending $300.00 more for shipping too, just thought I'd let that cat out of the bag.
    Side note number two: It is listed as NEW on the manifest, not rebuilt, I don't think a big GM dealership (crateenginedepot is the parts dept. for LATTOF chev.) is going to take chances on false and misleading advertising. My dealer told me that $2999.00 is THEIR price, so GM must be giving LATTOF big discounts due to volume.

If you have any more qustions...feel free to call them at 800 441-5150..ask for Dave, he's a good guy with a lot of patience. I should start to get some commission here pretty soon! LOL! Good luck!

black
    1998 z28

was just wondering if any additional tuning had to be done with the ls6 motor. considering putting it into a 2000 ss. could i use my stock intake or would i need an ls6 intake? thanks

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Although the LS6 manifold would be much more desireable, you could get away with the LS1 manifold. The area of concern is the cam, since the cam is only midly more aggressive than the stock LS1 cam, you shouldn't have a problem, according to my tuner, if I didn't change out my cam, we wouldn't have had to do much on the way of tuning. (we did more than just a cam though) so if you're just doing a straight motor swap, you'll be fine. Save for a LS6 manifold, it'll be money well spent, look at E-bay, lots of guys have replaced theirs with FAST manifolds and have no need for their stock ones...good luck!

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastgto View Post
    the LS2 is 400hp not 345
    read closley RWHP

black
    1998 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    Although the LS6 manifold would be much more desireable, you could get away with the LS1 manifold. The area of concern is the cam, since the cam is only midly more aggressive than the stock LS1 cam, you shouldn't have a problem, according to my tuner, if I didn't change out my cam, we wouldn't have had to do much on the way of tuning. (we did more than just a cam though) so if you're just doing a straight motor swap, you'll be fine. Save for a LS6 manifold, it'll be money well spent, look at E-bay, lots of guys have replaced theirs with FAST manifolds and have no need for their stock ones...good luck!

what type of mods do i have to make to the egr for the ls6 intake...i'm sure it has been answered but i just figured i'd ask quick...btw this isn't for the 98 that i currently own. it will be for a 2000 ss. thanks

also which cam did you use and how much of a difference did it make.

white
    2002 z28

for the egr you will need a block off plate for it, theres dones of info on this just do a search

LS1.com Member #271

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Just another FYI, I ran my '98 Z28 w/LS6 swap on the stock tune for a couple of years before I had it dynotuned earlier this summer...the '98 had the biggest injectors of all of the '98-'02 LS1 F-Bodies and I was running VERY lean in the upper RPM's on the stock tune. Vengeance did my tune and I was at 375 RWHP BEFORE the tune, but running dangerously lean. After they richened me up and made it "safe" I still "only" put down 378 RWHP, but now I don't have to worry about running too lean, so I'm happy with the results.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I'm running the Comp XR281HR and it's a great cam, but my car is not my daily driver. I would suggest a 114 LSA for a DD. Most of the HP comes in at the upper RPM levels, thus making it unsuitable for most DD applications. You can count on needing major tuning mods with this cam though.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

Thumbs up

I was the first person to buy the LS6 motor from crateenginedepot.com for $2999.00 and put in my 99 camaro ss and i love it, all my electronics just switched over and i used my camaro oil pan. She runs very hard but i have not dynoed it yet but i will in about 2 weeks. I'm happy i could help everybody here find this great deal. so dont think twice about buying this motor it's great!!

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

So with an LS6 motor swap you can run the stock camaro computer with a tune only right?

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

We ALL owe a big thanks to Brian up there for turning us on to the LS6 deal of a lifetime, I've thanked him before and I certainly don't mind doing it again!!!!!!!!!!!Brian, you are the MAN! How did you ever find that motor????? There's no hint of it on the site anywhere.

Red
    1999 Camaro SS(LS6 Swap)

yes u can, but i had a few bugs to work out like low idle and would cut off when i hit it in reverse. And just to let everybody know u can look at my past threads and see that i turned everybody on to this motor at crateenginedepot.com, but thaks to u to 01LSS6Camaro!!

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Yea guys great info thanks for sharing, you have definetly changed my thinking of how to mod my car. Thanks!

Black
    98 Camaro

I typed in that part number at crateenginedepot.com, and it brings up 0 results....wtf??

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    You go to the website he listed and put the part number he listed in the search box and click enter.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...3-P1625C0.aspx
    Click the link.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The LS6 is 5.7 346 CI and the LS2 is 6.0 366 CI.
    wait i read somewhere that ls6 had a lil bit more cubic inches than the ls1 but was still considered a 5.7

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

damn jimm...you just made me wanna save up for an ls6..thanks for the inspiration

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information