Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

red
    99 camaro SS

the motor is out......pics!

well the LS1 is finally out....and as you can see in the pics it was a rod bearing on the #6 cylinder. the crank is junk too.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

what are you doing to it????
    Click for full size

red
    99 camaro SS

well its getting another motor....most likely its gonna be another LS1 but maybe a LS6 or even a 6.0 iron block. im not too sure yet but i will post pics and stuff when i finally decide whats going in it.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

My LS1 died too, I went with the LS6 for obvious reasons. It's available for $2999.00 at www.crateenginedepot.com
    You must use part # 89017653 because they have two LS6's for sale. The other is listed at $4700.00, but they are the same engine, right down to the sodium filled valves, and hollow valves, same correct heads (LS6) The only difference is you must use your original LS1 water pump (and harmonic balancer if I remember correctly) as it is not included with the LS6 listed at $2999.00. Can you buy a new water pump for less than $1700.00! Gee, I dunno that is a tough decision to make!
    The cheaper engine is out of the CTS-V and is rated at 400HP, but it IS the same motor. GM rated it at 400HP because the exhaust is more restrictive than the Z06. Can't have the flagship Vette putting out the same HP as a 4 door Caddy now can we? lol Good luck.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Wait the LS6 is only 400hp? So whats the difference between that and the LS2?

The Pulse of the Maggots SicWs6's Avatar

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I dont see the LS6 for 2999.00, the cheapest one i see is for $4,725.00. Am I blind and just not seeing it or did they raise there price? That sounds like a good deal, Id like to find one for that cheap!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Wait the LS6 is only 400hp? So whats the difference between that and the LS2?
    The LS6 is 5.7 346 CI and the LS2 is 6.0 366 CI.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SicWs6 View Post
    I dont see the LS6 for 2999.00, the cheapest one i see is for $4,725.00. Am I blind and just not seeing it or did they raise there price? That sounds like a good deal, Id like to find one for that cheap!
    You go to the website he listed and put the part number he listed in the search box and click enter.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...3-P1625C0.aspx

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    You go to the website he listed and put the part number he listed in the search box and click enter.

I'm alittle confussed is that a new engine or a remanufactured engine?

At the top is says "(LS6) New Goodwrench Engine 89017653"

But down in the discription part is says "Only original replacement parts are used in every GM Goodwrench remanufactured engine. And new design enhancements and product improvements are incorporated into every remanufactured engine".

$3,000 for a brand new ls6 is a damn good deal but seems low which is why I kinda think it is actually a remanufactured motor.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The LS6 is 5.7 346 CI and the LS2 is 6.0 366 CI.
    Tip of the iceburg, but the overall biggest difference.

Heads are likely the same on both the LS2 and the LS6.
    I think there is a cam size difference though.
    Something has to explain why the LS6 is more powerful than the LS2 in stock form.

LS6 = 365 RWHP (stock in Corvette)
    LS2 = 345 RWHP (stock in GTO)
    Obviously the drivetrains are different, but I would still take an LS6 over and LS2 IF I was staying stock.

The Pulse of the Maggots SicWs6's Avatar

NBM
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post

Duh... I found it thanks! I guess I needed someone to break it down for me! Looks like a good deal!

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Thank you tpilews-It IS a new motor, I thought it was too good to be true as well, until I bought one! You'll note, as you found out, that they don't LIST this engine, ya jus gotta know! Call it an insider deal. I can't take credit for it though, I too, was going to buy the $4700.00 engine until a brother in this forum turned me on to the $2999.00 engine. I still don't know how he found it!!!!! Note: They put that disclaimer about remanufactured engines bla bla bla on EVERY description, because that was my first thought too, until I called them and asked about a million questions about the engine. That's how I found out it was the Caddy motor. Then I went to my local Chevy dealer...then to my local Caddy dealer....*sigh* I just couldn't believe it was a real LS6 motor. it is........

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

That's a good deal.

red
    99 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    My LS1 died too, I went with the LS6 for obvious reasons. It's available for $2999.00 at www.crateenginedepot.com
    You must use part # 89017653 because they have two LS6's for sale. The other is listed at $4700.00, but they are the same engine, right down to the sodium filled valves, and hollow valves, same correct heads (LS6) The only difference is you must use your original LS1 water pump (and harmonic balancer if I remember correctly) as it is not included with the LS6 listed at $2999.00. Can you buy a new water pump for less than $1700.00! Gee, I dunno that is a tough decision to make!
    The cheaper engine is out of the CTS-V and is rated at 400HP, but it IS the same motor. GM rated it at 400HP because the exhaust is more restrictive than the Z06. Can't have the flagship Vette putting out the same HP as a 4 door Caddy now can we? lol Good luck.
    yeah the shop thats doing my car found that ls6 for 2999.00. im hoping thats the way im going to go! did you get it on the dyno with the ls6 in it? what else do i have to use besides the water pump and harmonic balancer from my ls1? does it come with intake manifold?

Red
    1998 SS

little help here....

my engine is still running, but it has about 130k miles on it, and i starting to hear "noises", not only at start up like its normal, but now at norm. temps. and at stop lights or running....and im sure its on its way out....

my question is...get the ls6 for the 3k

or

rebuilt my engine 1k and get a head and cam combo 2k.....

car is dd,
    98SS A4, TSP CLR LID, LS6 INTAKE, BMR SFC/STB/ LWR CNTRL & TRQ ARMS, KYB ADJ., HOTCHKINS SWAY BARS, MSD WIRES, JETHOT LT/ORY, MAGNAFLO CATBACK, EIBACH PROKIT, 19" TSW WHEELS, PERMA COOL TRANY COOLER.

257.8 hp (MUSTANG-DYNO) b4 ANY MODS.
    13.6 1/4 mile

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by redz284u View Post
    little help here....

my engine is still running, but it has about 130k miles on it, and i starting to hear "noises", not only at start up like its normal, but now at norm. temps. and at stop lights or running....and im sure its on its way out....

my question is...get the ls6 for the 3k

or

rebuilt my engine 1k and get a head and cam combo 2k.....

car is dd,

I guess that would really depend on what you were looking for out of your DD. The LS6 is a proven engine and is going to be super reliable. Plus, 400 horses should be plenty for a daily driver. As far as power for the rebuild, hell, sky's the limit.

Personally, I would go for the LS6, especially for resale value unless you plan on keeping it forever. But, if the day should come to sell it, a LS6 powered Camaro/ Trans Am would get you more money than a head/cam car would.

You'd also have to look at the warranty options on both.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Count on using all your externals..i.e. Starter, alternator, intake manifold, hopefully you have the LS6 manifold, I haven't had mine on the dyno yet, as it's not even broken in . But remember mine is modded with headers, cam, etc...so we won't get a realistic "crate-engine rating" when I do tune it, and dyno it. I will keep everyone posted though. I'm hoping for at least 400 RWHP.

LS1.com Member #271

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Just an FYI, I just had my LS6 swapped '98 Camaro Z28 dynotuned and I put down 378 RWHP and 375 RWTQ. I added a Powerbond pulley yesterday, so I'm now expecting to be around 385 RWHP.

You can see pics and instructions of my swap at my website in my sig.
    Black 1998 Camaro Z28 6-Speed: LS6 Longblock (405 HP) and lots more...

-View:
    www.banddirector.cz28.com

red
    99 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    Count on using all your externals..i.e. Starter, alternator, intake manifold, hopefully you have the LS6 manifold, I haven't had mine on the dyno yet, as it's not even broken in . But remember mine is modded with headers, cam, etc...so we won't get a realistic "crate-engine rating" when I do tune it, and dyno it. I will keep everyone posted though. I'm hoping for at least 400 RWHP.
    yeah i did find that out from the guy thats doing my car. yeah mine has headers and a few other bolt ons. and it will have a cam and springs too.

red
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Tip of the iceburg, but the overall biggest difference.

Heads are likely the same on both the LS2 and the LS6.
    I think there is a cam size difference though.
    Something has to explain why the LS6 is more powerful than the LS2 in stock form.

LS6 = 365 RWHP (stock in Corvette)
    LS2 = 345 RWHP (stock in GTO)
    Obviously the drivetrains are different, but I would still take an LS6 over and LS2 IF I was staying stock.
    the LS2 is 400hp not 345

Thread Information