Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods

Black
    1998 Camaro Base

Mods

Hello I am new to the whole car owning thing since I am in high school and I recently got a 1998 v6 camaro the only thing I have done to it is put black out covers on the tail and head lights and I have some new spark plugs I have purchased but not installed yet I want some cool mods for cheap I don't even know if I am in the right place in this forum but any help would be greatly appreciated

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Are you just looking for external "Bling Bling" mods or are you looking for more get up and go ?
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome. There are all sorts of things you can do to these cars... and some things you should never do. Let us know what you have in mind.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My first Camaro was a 1996 V6. I loved that car and the 3800-II motor was about as reliable as a V6 came. Welcome aboard and make sure you do your due diligence when it comes to oil and other fluid changes.

I did put an aftermarket exhaust on mine which made it wake up some, and the dual exhaust tips made it look a lot meaner.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black
    1998 Camaro Base

I think both I like the sleek black look that it has now i am gonna get it repainted because it is starting to wear down I just want something that will add a little more power that won't cost a fortune to get.My dad has a Red 2001 Pontiac Formula Firebird v8 and i like the sound of that i was thinking of a aftermarket exhaust for mine but i don't know even were to start i have about a year until i can drive on my own so i have time to save up i want something louder that the stock but not obnoxious.
    Last edited by Cheppe; 09-13-2015 at 09:51 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

There's lots of choices. V6 options will likely be different than V8 as far as how it might sound and fit up. I had a Flowmaster muffler with 3" Stainless Steel tips and it sounded good for a V6.

Black
    1998 Camaro Base

do i need a full exhaust system to sound good or just a new muffler?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

If this is a car your just gonna keep for a few years then move onto something bigger and faster. Your probably fine doing a intake lid upgrade and a cat back exhaust. There are a few other things but these are good starts. If you plan on keeping it then you can do full header y-pipe and all. There's alot you can do with the 3600 just takes some looking. You can get super chargers and so on for them just depends on what you wanna do and how much you wanna spend.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black
    1998 Camaro Base

can you link me to the intake lid because to be honest i have no clue what that is

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Cheppe View Post
    Hello I am new to the whole car owning thing since I am in high school and I recently got a 1998 v6 camaro the only thing I have done to it is put black out covers on the tail and head lights and I have some new spark plugs I have purchased but not installed yet I want some cool mods for cheap I don't even know if I am in the right place in this forum but any help would be greatly appreciated
    Welcome. The 3.8 is a great engine, very reliable with some decent power.

My first suggestions when someone who is a beginner, is asking about more "ooomph" is to go for the "low hanging fruit":

1) make sure the car is up to snuff, no vacuum leaks, fluids and filters are fresh, etc.
    2) keep the "junk out of the trunk", I knew guys who had sever hundred extra pounds of stuff in thier car that they didnt need, addition by subtraction here.
    3) keep it simple

The simple stuff wont necessarily make the car a fire breathing beast, but will improve driveability, and give you an idea where you may need to go next, without spending gobbs of money. Put the plugs you have in but look at the old ones, they will tell you how the engine is running and if there are bad signs from it, not to put money into it.

Black
    1998 Camaro Base

Thanks for the tips my dad was a mechanic for many years and he is helping he says there are some sensors that need to be changed because it does not idle right it is a very clean car inside and out i got it for $2250 because the original owner from 1998 bought it for his daughter but she dosen't drive it anymore so they sold it

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

One more tidbit of info.

The 3.8L II engine had an issue that should have been fixed (xfingers by now). If you find that you are having random misfires, fowl plugs, even blown plug wires and nothing makes sense. The most likely culprit is the plate that the coil packs sit on. They usually last about 70,000 miles give or take a few 10k.

I spent 9 months trying to figure out why my FB was acting all crazy. It took GM releasing a TB on a recall while I was deployed to figure it out.

Other than that it was a very fun car. Hell one I wish I still had.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

check out texas speed.....they have some v6 stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Scott -- there are two V6 'Birds for sale locally.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

For some cheap power go to sites like Ebay and look for a supercharger from a 90's Buick Riviera or Pontiac. I found a remanufactured unit for under 500 dollars. You can swap the pulley and play with the boost. swap injectors and maybe a larger fuel pump for more go. There are plenty of sites to give you tips on the swap. Nothing sounds better than the whine of a nicely tuned roots type blower. 121670613011 is the Ebay number.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

As far as V6 and exhausts sounds go, the only worth while muffler to put in a V6 for sound would be a Flowmaster unit in my opinion. They sound nice and rugged on V6s. The 80 series crossflow will be your direct swap in muffler. Or if your exhaust tubing is a bit shot, an 80 series catback should cost around $300 - $400 depending.

I daily drive a 5spd ecotec cavalier. Good little reliable car as all GM cars are, but if I had the choice I would love to have a 3.8L Camaro as my daily. I've put some money into my Cav in maintenance to make it not worth tossing away just yet.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Mufflers are a good start,a cat-back even better!!! As said there are a lot of free mods on this site you can possibly use that may help in adding a lil ooomphh to your ride like the air intake mods etc .

Black
    1998 Camaro Base

thanks guys for all the support I will be saving up for that cat back exhaust my dad just bought a 02 camaro base model that he is gonna fix and sell so i might make some money if i help him with that he said he is gonna order a new motor for it because the old one was knocking really bad he got the car for $700 and the out side body and paint look good so does the enteirior so it should be a easy sell with the new motor

Another vote on installing a Flowmaster muffler. It will make your exhaust system louder yet not raspy.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cheppe View Post
    if you guys can help me with my website iam starting for camaro owners it is basically a forum where you can go and ask questions and olther people will answer like here it would help me if you made a account and tried it out here it is CamaroChat.com | All Things Camaro
    Good luck with your site, but soliciting another site on our forum is not allowed per our site rules. I've attached them below for your reference.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/rules.php

Thread Information