WHITE
    2000 SS CAMARO

To mod or not to mod

O.K, the motors a 2000 a4 ss, currently with 168,000 kms on it, as far as i can tell its just got a lid (LS1 Motorsports sticker on it) and an engine strut brace.
    plans are sfc and other suspension stuff, but is it worth modding the engine with such high kms?
    the trans seems to slip a bit at high rpms when i rag the nuts out of it but other that that its seems healthy.
    i plan on keeping it long term so any advise would be appreciated

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

i would replace the transmition and rearend

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    i would replace the transmition and rearend
    what he said, maybe tear the motor out and do a rebuild to replace worn parts and seals, and maybe shocks and springs.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

if you got some money look at the lingenfelter kit im thinking about sending my car there for the 383 package they replace the rear and transmition if you choose to add it

WHITE
    2000 SS CAMARO

thanks for the replys, untill i win the lottery, moneys a bit tight so i was thinking along the lines of full exhaust, suspension and brakes, wait untill the trans blows up and just sell the girlfriend and buy a new one, but enginewise i might just do the basics along with a good tune. now no one over here can tune this thing so it looks like i may get a mail order tune from frosts, do i need h.p tuners or similar to download his tune and program the car? im a bit of a dummy when it comes to this sort of thing.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by hugh jwanger View Post
    O.K, the motors a 2000 a4 ss, currently with 168,000 kms on it, as far as i can tell its just got a lid (LS1 Motorsports sticker on it) and an engine strut brace.
    plans are sfc and other suspension stuff, but is it worth modding the engine with such high kms?
    the trans seems to slip a bit at high rpms when i rag the nuts out of it but other that that its seems healthy.
    i plan on keeping it long term so any advise would be appreciated
    You can't go wrong with suspension mods. That stuff will always be with the car regardless of engine miles.

As far as moddin' the motor....obviously you want to do it at some point. LS1 motors are great and easy to mod so that's a plus. I'm of the mindset....mod the external parts of the motor, run it til she breaks, now you build a bitchin shortblock and transfer over the external motor mods you already have!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I laugh at your 160,000 kilometers (105k miles). My car (the 98) has 288,000 kilometers (180k miles) on it and runs fine (for a stocker). I think you'll be fine with bolt on mods. Might want to rework the tranny if you subject it to much abuse though. The A4 in the 02 showed signs of wear after only 72,000 kilometers (45k miles). I did drag race it quite a bit though. Had it rebuilt (and beefed up) when I put the 3400 stall torque converter in it.

All of my mods are done to the 2002 which has only 75,200 kilometers (47k miles) on it.

If you like being able to close the doors and having them latch then the 1st thing you want to do is weld-in SFC's. Keeps these "twist-o-flex" (unibody construction) cars from turning into a pretzel.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 12-23-2009 at 07:58 AM.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

I wouldnt worry with only 105k miles. Weve done a cam swap on a car that had 160k on it and before the cam swap it had a shit load of nitrous sprayed on it. It ran just fine til the day we pulled it out to swap in a 408.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

WHITE
    2000 SS CAMARO

cheers for the replys people, sfc's will be my first priority, if i get this thing to handle and brake, that will be a start as its a fairly rapid car in stock form.
    do i need hp tuners for mail order tunes or will a predator etc be ok?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Mail order is good along with HP tuners if your good at it
    no to the handhelds

Thread Information