Melting Chinese Turn Signal Housing...

This is a discussion on Melting Chinese Turn Signal Housing... within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ok so i bought these "Eagle Eye CCFL" dual-halo style headlights off ebay. They came with clear back bumper "parking ...

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Melting Chinese Turn Signal Housing...

ok so i bought these "Eagle Eye CCFL" dual-halo style headlights off ebay. They came with clear back bumper "parking lights" or whatever as well as clear front turnsignal housings.. IMO they look perfect on my black car.

However, i noticed the one bulb was burning out prematurely, replaced it last year. and then this year a month after getting it out of storage the other bulb blew. Started figuring something was up and i took a closer look and the plastic housing ITSELF is melting AROUND the bulbs (i'm guessing due to heat, and not much distance between the back of the bulb and the housing)

SO WHAT SHOULD I DO?

anyone else have this problem?

Worst comes to worst i'm figuring i could dremel out the melted plastic and vacuum it out.. and then buy these LED ebay bulbs...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-x-3...Q5fAccessories

i figure the LEDs will be much less hot as well as lasting longer... and i did the measurements and they're actually slightly shorter than the stock bulb so this will help with the melted plastic surrounding the LEDS..

any other ideas?

or where do you guys buy your clear turn signal housing from?

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

the same thing happens with mine. Ive had a few bulbs actully explode in there leaving the pieces in there for me to fish out. Im thinking of either getting new housings or like you said LEDs since they do not get nearly as hot.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    the same thing happens with mine. Ive had a few bulbs actully explode in there leaving the pieces in there for me to fish out. Im thinking of either getting new housings or like you said LEDs since they do not get nearly as hot.
    yup! that happened with the first bulb i replaced... lol.

what i did to vaccum it out was actually kind of genius:

i took this 3 foot section (that was cut off, laying in the garage) of garden hose... took a shop vaccuum, and a sandwich baggie

put the garden hose in the end of the shop vaccuum hose about 6".

then hold the sandwich baggie around where the 2 hoses meet.

turn on the shop vac and hold tightly on the sandwich baggie

the suction pulls in the baggie around the 2 hoses and creates a seal, and then maneuver the garden hose under your headlight into the turnsignal housing and get any glass thats in there.. just make sure you have a firm hold on the sandwich baggie because the suction can be pretty strong..

my other problem with these housings is they dont allow you to fully secure the bulb sockets in them because the plastic is thicker than the stock housing... hard to explain. but it doesnt hold the socket correctly... or at least on my anyway

worst comes to worst i'll just put in the stock turnsignal housing and get blackout pieces to go over it... it might actually look better on my black car anyway.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

well today the bulb died... i literally just put it in last week or so...

putting in the stock housings tomorrow hopefully...

i'll just buy those blackouts i guess..

White
    1998 Trans Am

Use LED's and they'll fix any heat issues I have all LED's in my TA lights and disconnected the DRL feature since I don't need light during the day and if I do I'll turn them on. But the led's are cooler and last longer in any lenses just remember to get a electronic flasher.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

I just ordered some LEDs for mine... ill let you know how they work out

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

i put in the stockers

oh well.. you guys should see how melted my housings are... took them out and it looks bad. i might post a pic of it later.

red
    01 camaro ss

RyanMJ how do you get rid of the DRL? I know its a dumb question but im haveing the same problem.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I found the write up I used and worked great for me.

Disable Auto Head Light and Day Running Lights-Firebird/Camaro

Disabling the Day Running lights and the Auto Headlight on feature is quite an easy mod and can be reversed just as easy. This mod takes approx. 10 min. and all the tools needed are a socket set.

1. Lift the trim plate from around the radio and climate control panel. No tools are needed as it is held on by pressure clips. Set it aside.
    2. Take out the four hex screws holding in the radio in. (Note) You don’t need to disconnect the battery for this operation BUT if you do, make sure you know the code for your radio if it is enabled. You will need it to ensure your radio operates after putting it back in.
    3. Move the radio aside and look into the dash. In the upper right corner on the firewall you will see a small black box with two wire harnesses attached to it (about the size of a pack of camels).
    4. Lift the box in an upward motion, it’s on a slide clip. Bring the box out of the dash, there is plenty of wire to manage easily. Disconnect the wire harness with the BLUE wire in it, just let it hang out of the way. THAT’S IT!
    5. Re-install the wire box, radio and faceplate

red
    01 camaro ss

How do i go about the electronic flasher?

Thread Information