Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Maybe I'm crazy but...

This is a discussion on Maybe I'm crazy but... within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; lol that sounds pretty good, hey guys you know all about these fires in so cal?? anyways im about a ...

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

lol that sounds pretty good,

hey guys you know all about these fires in so cal?? anyways im about a foot from my monitor and i can see the smoke/ash floating in the air in my bedroom i just opened my window lol. its getting pretty bad but also clearing up some too!

anyways back on topic sorry

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Finally View Post
    That's correct, and those fuel injectors open for a given amount of time based on their fuel flow rate. The computer assumes the flow rate for the injectors to be constant. So the only variable that can be adjusted is for how long those injectors remain open. Naturally, the more air going in the engine, the longer the injector remains open in order to maintain that sensitive air/fuel ratio.
    That being said, there's only one more variable that affects fuel flow rate: pressure, which we know is controlled by the fuel pump. When the fuel pump quits, you know it because no fuel is being injected into the manifold even though the injectors are opening. So, having a full tank could add more line pressure by allowing the fuel pump to run at a slightly larger line pressure. So maybe this, in fact, is the case and we get just a little bit more fuel in the engine.

On another note, when choosing to upgrade fuel injectors for forced induction, you cannot just look at the fuel flow rate spec of the injector. You have to also look at what line pressure that fuel flow rate was measured. For example, if you look at two injectors that both claim to have a flow rate of 1 cubic centimeter per second(for simplicity's sake) but one is running at 20psi and the other at 40psi, you know that they don't have an identical natural flow rate.

Settle down....there is a fuel pressure regulator that will prevent additional line pressure resulting from more fuel in the tank.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i told you, those little voices.........

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I like that idea about the weight transfer illusion. I know when I tow my boat I get that feeling like I'm launching forward when I hit the gas even though I know I'm accelerating substantially slower than if I wasn't towing.

But about those pressure regulators: how sensitive are they to pressure variations? I only ask because everything man made has a design tolerance. For example, maybe it regulates for 10psi plus or minus 0.5 psi or something like that. Basically, I'm trying to say that there is no such thing as "perfect" pressure regulation. Any thoughts?

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

even if it did change the car , it wouldn't make enough difference to win the race.
    the cold air on the other hand helps out a ton, i love taking the car out on nice cold nights.
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    i told you, those little voices.........
    hahahahaha-I am with this guy-definate voices

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I've never noticed any real performance gains from an oil change but I know from driving 100 miles a day that it will affect mileage alot.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Going back to original topic, though, i just saw a commercial for castrol gtx (i think that was it). and it said that it's synthetic oil "maintains horsepower" something like 27% longer than it's competitors. I can't remember the commercial exactly.
    Now wouldn't that suggest that a fresh oil change would make a difference? Friction is, after all, the reason why wheel horsepower differs from engine horsepower. I know this is a commercial and they're marketing their product, but that would have to be false advertisement if the percentages that they gave weren't at least slightly true.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I am sure it does give you 1.337373 HP after a oil change but can you really feel that?

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    just like the car pulls harder after filling the gas tank...
    There is some truth to this. These cars have 2 timing tables, a high and a low. If there is sufficient detonation detected it will use the low octane table with less timing. From what I have been told, if this accurs often on a tank of gas it continues to use the low timing table until the tank is filled, and the fuel level goes passed the half way mark. It then will use the high table again unless knock is again detected. A safety mechanism if you will.

Not sure if there is truth to this,,,but the high octane, low octane timing tables do exist. I have been tuning my own car with HPtuners for a while now, but don't see any table that would determine when/how it would switch back and forth and/or stay there until the fuel level in the tank changes. But I have read some write ups about it.

But to be honest, these cars are supposed to have high octane unleaded, 91 or better I believe the manual says, and I find mine sensative and pulling timing with even 94 in the tank,,,,so you guys running 89 may be experiencing this. Not to mention depending on where you fill up,,,,it seems pump gas quality is slowly diminishing, with more additives and such, simply going to a different brand of gas can have a huge affect on a car as well. Just some things to think about

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

There is a write up in my Jan 08 GMHTP mag on page 51 that says putting in the Redline powerpack PN90223 synthetic oil pkg saw an extra 12 horses and 10lb of torque at the wheels...I find it hard to believe myself...I maintain my car regularly but only feel its faster when its sparkling clean...haha...something about a clean car.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Mine is fast as hell after I clean it-and if I wax it the car goes through the air easier and makes more power that plus new oil and a full tank-duuuuuuuuuuuude hold on!!

White Liquid Silver

And Armoralled tires are a must...car handles like it's on rails with shinny tires.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

I am glad you are having a good time filling up on gas and shining your tires so you can go fast (you know you were tempted to go change your oil after you read this...)

...but back to the original question, anyone every dyno'd the difference between old and new oil? I know it ain't much but I wanna know #s or bust the myth

White Liquid Silver

Refer to my post #31...the mag claimed they gained HP and Torque after switching to Redline fluids...

White Liquid Silver

I agree with lethal...a good wax is the secret...cut through the air like a ninja...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Sorry missed that post earlier, really interesting. I remember awhile back a TV show about modding a car, and they claimed 5-6 HP improvement with Royal Purple oil

White Liquid Silver

Yea I'm sure all the vendors are very supportive of these shows and mags when these numbers are claimed...wonder how many people ran out and got Royal Purple and Redline after...Hmmm

I stick to Amsoil on all my rides...And my car really feels better when its clean...LOL...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Talking

No doubt. I wonder why Meguire's is not pimping the HP gains from their soap and wax?

They must be really humble

White Liquid Silver

I'll tell you what...I don't know if you've ever used their hot shine tire spray (aerosol) or not...but that is the best tire dressing EVER! I use it on my trucks and car...the only thing that stays on without going all over the side of the car...especially on the low pro side wall...(sp?)Meguelors=HP

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information