Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lt1 Vs. Ls1

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Lt1 Vs. Ls1

LT1 vs. LS1 any advantages over another?

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Both the LS1 and the LT1 are exceptional engines which make tons of power and have even more potential for making monster power. The LS1 has several key advantages over the LT1 including, All Aluminum Block and Heads vs. the cast iron block and heads of the LT1. Also the LS1 makes 35-40 more horsepower straight from the factory. The LS1 is a souped up version of the LT1. Both motors are strong and capable. It just depends on ur budget and how much money you can spend on an f-body.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Ok lets say I get a LT1, what is the minuim work needed to be done to equal or better a stock LS1?

mystic
    95 LS, yes it says LS

I have an LT car. If you plan on building the motor, just go ahead and get the LS, Its alot less work.

Black
    99 Z28

full bolt ons and a tune should do it.
    One advantage that the LT1 has that Nastyz28 didnt mention is that aftermarket parts for the LT1 are cheaper than with the LS1.
    But like he said it just depends on your budget.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by NastyZ28 View Post
    The LS1 is a souped up version of the LT1.
    They are totally different engines. Different materials. Different designs. Different displacements. Different parts. Different family of engines. Totally different. The LT1 is the venerable Chevy 350 c.i. that came out of the 265/283/327 line of engines. The design is fifty years old. The LS1 displaces 346 cubic inches and is the first of a whole series of Chevy engines that were introduced around 1997 in the Covrette.

sped
    I have a 93 LT1 with CAI, TB, smooth intake elbow thing, lt headers, 3" ORY, 3" cat back, and 10.5" wide wheels on the back. It'll stay with an LS1 until around 60 or 70, that's when they start pulling. By about 100 I'm a car length behind. Same thing five times in a row.

So yeah full bolt ons and free mods would probably put you with or slightly ahead of an ls1. I say just go with the ls1! I'm selling mine for one next year.

You won't notice a power gain with an aluminum block, but instead head gaskets may wear out faster on an LT1 because of the expansion rate difference between iron and alum when they get hot.

And over all weight advantage of the aluminum block in the LS1 is negligible because the 97 and 98+ both weigh about the same. However much lighter the LS1 engine is, it just made up for it by having a heavier body. So actually, it might be smarter to have the lighter body of a 97 and a lighter LS1 engine in it. But that's prolly not going to happen. So just get an LT1 and modify it.

Both engines are also 350 ci. But the LS1 has a bigger throttle body opening so you get more air. However, a little mod to an LT1 and you can do the same. Also you can get headers for an LT1 if it matters. Both cars would have the same exhaust port size after modification, I think.

And LT4 heads are just as good as LS1 heads. They both breath a lot but hell LT4 heads might even be better because the LT4 was rated at 330HP from the factory.

Basically, the LS1 is a modified LT1. Probably about 30 horsepower worth of mods. But you can do the same things to an LT1. So why buy a LS1 for big dollars if you're going to break it down anyway? Probably the main difference is the heads. How much that is worth, I have not determined. But I can tell you I have very little desire to trade my shweet LT1 for it.

Also the LS1's have a different ignition system but both deliver a lot of spark to the cylinders.. So, again, you won't notice any horsepower difference between the 2 cars because of the way a spark is delivered to the cylinders.

And from what I hear, both LS1 and LT1 have the same manual transmission. So if you're into that, then kudo's. But I like automatics.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 10-20-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

So overall it is pretty much the same thing, ok thenthx guys i will defently take everything said here into consideration when I sell mine, btw does anyone know if alot of pple buy cars on e-bay long distance ways?

2002 TA

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Ok lets say I get a LT1, what is the minuim work needed to be done to equal or better a stock LS1?
    You must realize there are prolly about 5% stock LS1's left, and the people that will actually race you there are about 1% stock.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    You won't notice a power gain with an aluminum block, but instead head gaskets may wear out faster on an LT1 because of the expansion rate difference between iron and alum when they get hot.

And over all weight advantage of the aluminum block in the LS1 is negligible because the 97 and 98+ both weigh about the same. However much lighter the LS1 engine is, it just made up for it by having a heavier body. So actually, it might be smarter to have the lighter body of a 97 and a lighter LS1 engine in it. But that's prolly not going to happen. So just get an LT1 and modify it.

Both engines are also 350 ci. But the LS1 has a bigger throttle body opening so you get more air. However, a little mod to an LT1 and you can do the same. Also you can get headers for an LT1 if it matters. Both cars would have the same exhaust port size after modification, I think.

And LT4 heads are just as good as LS1 heads. They both breath a lot but hell LT4 heads might even be better because the LT4 was rated at 330HP from the factory.

Basically, the LS1 is a modified LT1. Probably about 30 horsepower worth of mods. But you can do the same things to an LT1. So why buy a LS1 for big dollars if you're going to break it down anyway? Probably the main difference is the heads. How much that is worth, I have not determined. But I can tell you I have very little desire to trade my shweet LT1 for it.

Also the LS1's have a different ignition system but both deliver a lot of spark to the cylinders.. So, again, you won't notice any horsepower difference between the 2 cars because of the way a spark is delivered to the cylinders.

And from what I hear, both LS1 and LT1 have the same manual transmission. So if you're into that, then kudo's. But I like automatics.
    The amount of incorrect information in this post is incredible.

The LT1 and LS1 are nothing alike, nothing. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Why buy an LS1? Because $ for $ it will stomp a mudhole in an LT1. I love the LT1, it is a force to be reckoned with. I know because I had one for 5 years. Now I have an LS1 and I know the difference, and I know that although my LT1 was a beast, the LS1 is far superior in every aspect expect for exhaust note. Mods are not necessarily cheaper for an LT1 because they just aren't mass produced in the aftermarket like LS1 parts are. LT4 heads better than LS1 heads? I think not, besides you really need the LT4 intake for the LT4 heads and it isn't produced anymore. I have headers a lid and a cam and made 374 hp at the rear wheels. Thats what, 430 crank HP? You can't make that with an LT1 for 3 grand. I could still finish the bolt ons, get an LS6 intake and some heads and make 420 at the wheels. I'll still be under 3 grand in mods. THe LT1 is nice, but it's old school. It can not be compared to the LS1

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

Both engines are also 350 ci. .

LS1 is 346ci
    LT1 is 350ci

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    LT1 vs. LS1 any advantages over another?

My LS1 will whoop the fuck out of ur POS any day sooo quit dreaming hahahahah
    Why are u even on this website? with ur Z28 hahahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR View Post
    LS1 is 346ci
    LT1 is 350ci
    close enough. thanks though

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    The amount of incorrect information in this post is incredible.

The LT1 and LS1 are nothing alike, nothing. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Why buy an LS1? Because $ for $ it will stomp a mudhole in an LT1. I love the LT1, it is a force to be reckoned with. I know because I had one for 5 years. Now I have an LS1 and I know the difference, and I know that although my LT1 was a beast, the LS1 is far superior in every aspect expect for exhaust note. Mods are not necessarily cheaper for an LT1 because they just aren't mass produced in the aftermarket like LS1 parts are. LT4 heads better than LS1 heads? I think not, besides you really need the LT4 intake for the LT4 heads and it isn't produced anymore. I have headers a lid and a cam and made 374 hp at the rear wheels. Thats what, 430 crank HP? You can't make that with an LT1 for 3 grand. I could still finish the bolt ons, get an LS6 intake and some heads and make 420 at the wheels. I'll still be under 3 grand in mods. THe LT1 is nice, but it's old school. It can not be compared to the LS1
    well, I had a 1996 WS6 Formula and then traded it for a 2000 WS6 TA.. and I didn't notice any difference(except the new 2000 had a softer ride and a whining differntial), and I know there isn't much difference especially tootling around town at lower RPMs. And that's like 99% of my driving. You can check the factory HP curves between the LS1 and LT1 and they are nearly the same until you get at higher RPMs. And any header will help the LT1 especially at higher RPMs. The LT1 just didn't get the mods that an LS1 has. As far as comparing "oranges to apples" I know the LT1 and LS1 do things differently, but the effect is the same in the case of cylinder ignition.. Like who cares how the cylinders are ignited? Like separate coils on each cylinder or another system? According to some optisparks suck, but the new version of the optispark works fine. And I have never had any problem with my 97 vented opti. (90k mi).

Also, LT1's can have the same size throttle body, the same size headers and a really nice cam just as you now have on your LS1. The thing is, since the LT1's have not been tweeked as much and from the factory, you could say they have more restrictive components, so when we do these same mods that you do, we get more results. Again, the only other bottle neck (comparitively speaking) that I see is possibly the heads. To me, that would be the only major thing to address.

But LS1's do seem be prone to piston slap from what I hear.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 10-22-2006 at 10:31 AM.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I know there isn't much difference especially tootling around town at lower RPMs. And that's like 99% of my driving. You can check the factory HP curves between the LS1 and LT1 and they are nearly the same until you get at higher RPMs..
    No sir, there is a huge difference especially in the lower RPMs, LT1s have instant torque and come out of the hole hard, LS1s come alive later in the rpm band. HP doesn't win races it sells cars and parts.

As far as comparing "oranges to apples" I know the LT1 and LS1 do things differently, but the effect is the same in the case of cylinder ignition.. Like who cares how the cylinders are ignited? Like separate coils on each cylinder or another system?
    By your thinking there is no difference between any two engines because they are all accomplishing the same thing. Everyone cares about the ignition system - there is a reason they changed to the LS1 setup rather than staying with the optispark. There is a reason that little company called MSD exists. Spark is important, and to say "who cares how it happens" is assinine.

The thing is, since the LT1's have not been tweeked as much and from the factory, you could say they have more restrictive components, so when we do these same mods that you do, we get more results.
    You could never be more wrong. LT1s NEVER respond to similar mods like an LS1, you are talking out of a bias towards LT1s and you obviously have no knowledge of the subject on which you are speaking.

But LS1's do seem be prone to piston slap from what I hear.
    There's that bias I was talking about

Red
    1999 trans am

99 trans am

is a 1999 trans am an ls1 or lt1? and how many horses??

2002 TA

....If you don't know the answer to that question you better just sell your Trans am right now. All you have to do is pop the hood, unless your screen name is fake and you don't own the car.

Red
    1999 trans am

no im looking to buy this car and i wondering if anyone new??
    i do not think its a ws6 so im guessing its and lt1

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

98 and up f-bodies are LS1

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information