Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Lt1 Vs. Ls1

This is a discussion on Lt1 Vs. Ls1 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I never knew so many people could not distinguish a LT1 from a LS1...you shouldnt even have to look at ...

03 Terminator

I never knew so many people could not distinguish a LT1 from a LS1...you shouldnt even have to look at the FBody to tell if its a LT1 or LS1, firing orders are different making for a different exhaust note.

Yellow
    2011 Dodge Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Hmmm, gears, headers, etc, etc, and all he could muster was 14 flat??? What is the elevation at the track he ran at? I bought a '94 Trans Am brand spankin' new and ran 14 flat completely stock(I have the time slips to prove it), down to the stock air filter. It's either that, or your boy needs to learn how to drive!

haha ya, well he ran it at Milan Dragway in Michigan. It's like a 3 hour drive and his car does have some problems with overheating. He has a really mild gear though. He was telling me it was a factory upgraded option or something like that for the LT1's. I have no idea.

I do know for a fact that he does have Pacesetter LT's, Smooth Bellows inlet elbow, a trans thats been rebuilt 7 times (haha), and some kind computer tune from his buddies lap-top. Then whatever gear is in the rear end. That, and with the 3 hour drive to Milan he pulled a 14.00 flat.

I think his car has 120k miles on it as well.

several runs comparing a 1997 13 sec LT1 to few LS1's and a yellow C5

the BS stops at the track

however, if I had an option to buy and LS1 or an LT1 and both cost the same, and both were in the same condition, then I'd take the LS1. But LT1's I think respond to mods just as well as an LS1, if not more so, because the LT1 didn't get as many mods as an LS1 and we have about the same cubic inches and both cars weight about the same.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 10-26-2006 at 01:58 PM.

silver & black
    98 Z-28 Camaro

i had a 95 Z and had a cam, cai, chip, shorty headers, 3in exhaust that was cut off under the passenger seat, 3;42 gear, 2400 stall, shift kit, crank pulley, 1.6 rr, msd wires, but i never had it tuned, the cars biggest problem was that it would bounce off the rev limiter when going 2nd to 3rd.

with all them mods on my lt1 ,i raced a 2000 trans am 6-spd that had computer tuning and they were real close. i didn't start pulling on him until mid through 2nd gear and when it got ready to shift to 3rd it bounced off the rev limiter and he pulled hard i could not run it down.

with all those mods i had trouble with a basically stock ls1
    so i would defitnitly say ls1 all the way

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by vernon View Post
    i had a 95 Z and had a cam, cai, chip, shorty headers, 3in exhaust that was cut off under the passenger seat, 3;42 gear, 2400 stall, shift kit, crank pulley, 1.6 rr, msd wires, but i never had it tuned, the cars biggest problem was that it would bounce off the rev limiter when going 2nd to 3rd.

with all them mods on my lt1 ,i raced a 2000 trans am 6-spd that had computer tuning and they were real close. i didn't start pulling on him until mid through 2nd gear and when it got ready to shift to 3rd it bounced off the rev limiter and he pulled hard i could not run it down.

with all those mods i had trouble with a basically stock ls1
    so i would defitnitly say ls1 all the way
    ya with all those mods and a bad tuning job.. uh huh.. even a fast car can run like dog meat if it hits the rev limiter or shifts at the wrong time. PLus unless you had a custom tune, with that cam, who knows how messed up your air:fuel ratio was..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething View Post
    Click for full size

ok thats pretty funny..

silver & black
    98 Z-28 Camaro

it probaly wouldve runned better with a good tune but still yet with all that stuff and still have problems with a basically stock ls1. i aint downing the lt because i loved it. i probaly wouldve outrunned the ta with the shifting problem fixed. but what if he had the same stuff i did?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by HTX View Post
    I know. That sucks. When the new camaro comes out us ls1 guys are gonna be old news. No one is going to give a shit about LS1's anymore. Especially me. Alls I have is Borla and a lid.

Is LS2 considered small block? cause if not maybe we can still rain champions over the small block.
    All LS series engiens are small blocks, even the LS7 believe it or not is a small block 427

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

I currently have both an Lt1 and an Ls1. Both are basically stock except intake, exhaust. The difference between the two cars is huge. The Lt1 is a vert, so I know it weighs more which would account for some of the difference, but from a driving persepective the LS1 is superior. I don't have any serious mods so i can't comment on how each responds, but if i had to pick one i would choose the LS1 anyday. The ls1 car (camaro) is all around better than my lt1 camaro.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    Well, according to this link.. the redline is about 5800. Not 6200. I said nothing about rev limiters.. check my post. http://www.macewenmotorsports.com/pf415057-99-wht.html

And here is an 11 sec LT1. http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-Tra...slip-8132.html

Stock 1/4 miles of an 1996 LT1 is 13.8 according to this link (not 14 or 14.5) but a 1997 ram air should have more HP than a 96. http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

And if you do a little research you'll see a LOT more modified LT1's, that are walking over an LS1 13 second quarter mile time.

Nevertheless, I didn't say that the LT1 was faster stock.. In fact I know they are not. I said that an LT1 can have just as much horsepower as an LS1 if the same mods like intake and exhaust and cam and tuning were performed on an LT1 with the exception of the difference between the LS1 heads and the LT1 heads.. The LT1 heads probably don't flow as much on the intake or exhaust. And everyone knows that if you wanna go faster, you gotta burn more fuel. But as I already stated 100 times, heads can be swapped. That would be the only costly and labor intensive difference regarding horsepower.

Thats prolly no average joe driving it. Thats with an expert driver. If you put it that way, there have been numerous cases of bone stock LS1's running high 12's.

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    Well, according to this link.. the redline is about 5800. Not 6200. I said nothing about rev limiters.. check my post. http://www.macewenmotorsports.com/pf415057-99-wht.html

Stock 1/4 miles of an 1996 LT1 is 13.8 according to this link (not 14 or 14.5) but a 1997 ram air should have more HP than a 96. http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

And if you do a little research you'll see a LOT more modified LT1's, that are walking over an LS1 13 second quarter mile time.
    First, your link to the 5800 redline is nothing more than a website about a white gauge face. Redline and the rev limiter is the same thing. When it quits reving, it is at redline. On a ls1, the computer shuts it down, so that is its redline. I OWN a ls1, they redline or hit rev limiter at 6200. When you own one, you can correct yourself.

Second, one website shows 13.8 for the lt1. Cool, I know of one website that shows a stock ls1 turning 12.7s. These are one out of every 20000 cars. They are flukes where everything just fits perfectly and it all works in harmony.

Third, if you do a little research, you will notice that a modded ls1 spanks the living crap out of a identically modded lt1. But you haven't admitted to the identical modification topic yet. If you modded the shit of an lt1, and put a lid on the ls1, (then technically it is modded) so your dream lt1 against a normal ls1 would probably win.

Fourth, I would hope that a modded lt1 would beat a STOCK LS1 quarter time. I would be pathetic if it didn't.

Did you noticed that during all of this post I didn't post anything that I didn't know. I didn't post the redline or rev limiter on the lt1 because I don't know. If you don't know something then don't act like it and keep an arguement going on over something that everyone on here knows your wrong about.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

No let him keep going, if he really thinks the lt1 is better he can always proove it. (better hurry up man)

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

This thread is FUN!!!

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

Quote Originally Posted by Phlash_riot View Post
    This thread is FUN!!!
    Dew it...hahaha. Get it, DEW it!!!

red
    99' Camaro z28 LS1

i have ls1 long tube headers with 2 1/2 inch exhusat, hypertech computer which is rubbish, after market air filter and my cars condition is very bad because of lots n lots of races my friend have LT1 with 50 shots NX oxide i kick his ass like anything every time we race

Quote Originally Posted by vin98SS View Post
    I currently have both an Lt1 and an Ls1. Both are basically stock except intake, exhaust. The difference between the two cars is huge. The Lt1 is a vert, so I know it weighs more which would account for some of the difference, but from a driving persepective the LS1 is superior. I don't have any serious mods so i can't comment on how each responds, but if i had to pick one i would choose the LS1 anyday. The ls1 car (camaro) is all around better than my lt1 camaro.
    You said all around, so that encompasses a lot of things, but compared to a 1997 camaro, well, the interiors are identical. Same leather upgrades, same day time running lights, alarm, dash, cluster and console. So there's not as much difference as like a 96 and older. Even the frame under the hood was converted in 1997. Because there is more space between the side of the engine and the shock towers. The 1996's are really really tight. Harder to work on. On 1996's I can barely get my hand between the engine the shock tower on the passsenger side, but on my 1997, I can get my whole arm down in there.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 10-27-2006 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_guy View Post
    i have ls1 long tube headers with 2 1/2 inch exhusat, hypertech computer which is rubbish, after market air filter and my cars condition is very bad because of lots n lots of races my friend have LT1 with 50 shots NX oxide i kick his ass like anything every time we race

So what year is his LT1? hell I think the 1993 LT1 only had like 235 or 245HP.. so ya, I can see how you would out run him with headers and air intake mods and custom programming on a LS1. duh. If the 50 shot was really 50 extra ponies, then at most he would have 295hp at the crank. and maybe 275 at the wheels. You could have about 325 at the wheels since you have headers and those other mods on a LS1.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I don't understand why this is still going on. Plain and simple, the fact is that stock for stock the LS1 is faster, mod for mod the LS1 is still faster, period. I don't give a crap what year LT1 it is, I don't give a crap what anyone's opinion is.
    FACT: mod for mod the LS1 will ALWAYS be faster than the LT1

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    I don't understand why this is still going on. Plain and simple, the fact is that stock for stock the LS1 is faster, mod for mod the LS1 is still faster, period. I don't give a crap what year LT1 it is, I don't give a crap what anyone's opinion is.
    FACT: mod for mod the LS1 will ALWAYS be faster than the LT1
    preach brother preach !

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information