Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Lt1 Vs. Ls1

This is a discussion on Lt1 Vs. Ls1 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Chad97z I know a stock 97 LT1 is a power plant. duh... But if you did all ...

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    I know a stock 97 LT1 is a power plant. duh... But if you did all that to beat an LS1, then you wasted a lot of money.. unless u did it yourself. and it doesnt take 440 hp to beat an ls-uno hehe
    sorry i meant ls1!! typo
    Click for full size

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    Let's make this easy, make your LT1 a full bolt on, throw in some 4.10s, and spray it with a 150; We'll be dead even on mods, so since you'll have a car that's just as fast, I'll give you 2 lengths in the 1/4. Should we call pinks?
    I want some of what you're on.

Black
    99 Z28

This is getting Good!!

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    I want some of what you're on.
    i agree with you on this one. ok if you start with a faster car "ls1" and add all the same mods then yeah you should win right??? unless you are betting that the other guy cant drive. oh well i dont care to much for the ls1 Vs. lt1 because i kinda changed almost every thing on my lt1. oh yeah its cool to say that you have a 6.3!!!

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

LS1>LT1 in every aspect, period
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

this thread hurts my head ..ls1 all the way. i was under the impression that ls1s are mod happy..my god you can buy a 90 dollar lid and get 15whp
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    this thread hurts my head ..ls1 all the way. i was under the impression that ls1s are mod happy..my god you can buy a 90 dollar lid and get 15whp
    Lid = 5 crank hp maybe

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    Lid = 5 crank hp maybe
    hmm. i've seen some pretty nice numbers from a lid on folks car o well. i need to take a nap

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by bandit_48032 View Post
    My buddy has a 94 (auto) TA with smooth bellows, gears, computer tune, long tube headers, Flowmasters with a cut-out, and a built trans. Plus the free mods.

Out of the whole he puts a half car on my 2000 LS1 Formula (auto- with ram air and SLP catback) but I quickly pass him and put about a car and a half on him at 80mph.

His best time at the track was a 14 flat.

Hope that helps.... best of luck!

LT1's do sound better though! haha Real Beastly!
    Hmmm, gears, headers, etc, etc, and all he could muster was 14 flat??? What is the elevation at the track he ran at? I bought a '94 Trans Am brand spankin' new and ran 14 flat completely stock(I have the time slips to prove it), down to the stock air filter. It's either that, or your boy needs to learn how to drive!

sped
    Quote Originally Posted by HTX View Post
    This is getting Good!!
    Agreed! Good to see I'm not the only one just sittin back and watching this drama. I honestly thought that my post earlier in the discussion would help the argument a little bit, but I guess not. My LT1 with a good amount of bolt ons including LT HEADERS (as mentioned a billion times in this thread.) I got beat by 98 WS6, and a 98 Vette.

Proceed!!!

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by sped View Post
    Agreed! Good to see I'm not the only one just sittin back and watching this drama. I honestly thought that my post earlier in the discussion would help the argument a little bit, but I guess not. My LT1 with a good amount of bolt ons including LT HEADERS (as mentioned a billion times in this thread.) I got beat by 98 WS6, and a 98 Vette.

Proceed!!!
    Some people don't listen

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Hehe I started to see whats better to get and all this started but i dont want it to stop. So far it sounds like the ls1 is better but the lt1 isnt that bad. whats the stock time for lt1 and what is the stock ls1 time for quarter miles?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

nearly a full second if both drivers are skilled

black
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

lt1 around 14.5, possibly a "good" car 14.0, Ls1 around 13.5. "good" car 13.1 So like rajiv1998 said, nearly a full second.

By the way, the ls1 rev to 6200 not 5500 chad. I don't know what the lt1 rev to, but I know the ls1 rev to 6200. Factory rev limiter.
    Last edited by 98Z-28Camaro; 10-25-2006 at 02:55 PM.
    Black 98 Z-28, whisper air lid, ported polished descreened maf, slp smooth bellow, modified tb, 04 gto plug wires, ngk TR6 plugs, Megan underdrive pulley, cold fusion nitrous kit, k&n, removed cats, glass pack , casper o2 simulators, 3.73 gears, Burnt up 4l-60e, drilled and slotted rotors,

Red
    1997 Camaro SS

I race my 97 SS bracket racing. I have raced both LT1 and LS1's . The LS1's have much better heads and breath better. Lt4 heads are better than LT1 heads but not a sgood as LS1's. Torque comes on quicker with an LT1 but the LS1 makes 30 to 50 more hp on the top end stock. I have raced LT1s with mild cam ported heads and headers and they would walk a stock LS1 car. No doubt an LS1 modded the same will outrun an LT1 with the same mods. Who races with the same mods?
    I have not been beat by any LS1 GTO's yet. They are about 400# heavier than my camaro. I am sure that there are GTO's as well as LT1's that can beat my car. I normally run 13.8 at 1600 feet. That would be faster than 13.5 at sea level. My car is completely stock with only a computer tune and drag radials.
    Giving an LT1 150 shot with the same mods with an LS1 is going to be really tough for an LS1 to compete.

97SS6M

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z-28Camaro View Post
    lt1 around 14.5, possibly a "good" car 14.0, Ls1 around 13.5. "good" car 13.1 So like rajiv1998 said, nearly a full second.

By the way, the ls1 rev to 6200 not 5500 chad. I don't know what the lt1 rev to, but I know the ls1 rev to 6200. Factory rev limiter.
    Well, according to this link.. the redline is about 5800. Not 6200. I said nothing about rev limiters.. check my post. http://www.macewenmotorsports.com/pf415057-99-wht.html

And here is an 11 sec LT1. http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-Tra...slip-8132.html

Stock 1/4 miles of an 1996 LT1 is 13.8 according to this link (not 14 or 14.5) but a 1997 ram air should have more HP than a 96. http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

And if you do a little research you'll see a LOT more modified LT1's, that are walking over an LS1 13 second quarter mile time.

Nevertheless, I didn't say that the LT1 was faster stock.. In fact I know they are not. I said that an LT1 can have just as much horsepower as an LS1 if the same mods like intake and exhaust and cam and tuning were performed on an LT1 with the exception of the difference between the LS1 heads and the LT1 heads.. The LT1 heads probably don't flow as much on the intake or exhaust. And everyone knows that if you wanna go faster, you gotta burn more fuel. But as I already stated 100 times, heads can be swapped. That would be the only costly and labor intensive difference regarding horsepower.

Midnight Blue
    1999 T/A

Ok so if the LTs were so great why would they change designs? ya about that. LTs were a great engin in thier hayday but the sun has set on that day and a the next guy that picked up the torch was the LS1. Hell even LS1s have seen thier day to make way for a new breed. Chad97z, in five years are you going to tell us that ls1 is a better engine than the ls2 ls7 ls9.. ... ... .. .. or whatever.

LTs are great but you talk about modding them.. well you take a any stock engine and mod the shit out of it and of course its going to spank its replacement. Take a LS1 put in better breathing and a cam and it will spank a LS2/6 that are stock.

Just let your argument die along with the LTs. Your done, get off your

BWhahahahaha ---- STIRRING THE POT!!!!

Black
    99 Z28

I know. That sucks. When the new camaro comes out us ls1 guys are gonna be old news. No one is going to give a shit about LS1's anymore. Especially me. Alls I have is Borla and a lid.

Is LS2 considered small block? cause if not maybe we can still rain champions over the small block.

Red
    1987 Trans Am

Lt1's are great motors. so are LS1's. Both are excellent for hot rods. LS1 just respond to bolt ons better. One reason is the head design. A stock Ls1 head will out flow most of the unported aftermarket small block gen 1 and 2 heads. Another reason is the weak cam they put in the Ls1 because of production cost due to the multi platform. Truck, vette, f body.

How about this. Put a grand into a stock LT1 and a stock LS1 and see who wins. Or just race stock cars.

White
    2001 Trans-Am

The difference is....how do you say...like day and night. If you have a choice, you better get the LS1.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information