Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 148

Lt1 Vs. Ls1

This is a discussion on Lt1 Vs. Ls1 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Pythias You must realize there are prolly about 5% stock LS1's left, and the people that will ...

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sneads Ferry, NC
    Age
    29
    Posts
    261
    2002 TA

    Quote Originally Posted by Pythias View Post
    You must realize there are prolly about 5% stock LS1's left, and the people that will actually race you there are about 1% stock.
    I still stand by my statement. What I would be asking is what would it take to run with an LS1 with full-bolt-ons.

  2. #22
    Junior Member bandit_48032's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    55

    Yellow
    2011 Dodge Challenger

    My buddy has a 94 (auto) TA with smooth bellows, gears, computer tune, long tube headers, Flowmasters with a cut-out, and a built trans. Plus the free mods.

    Out of the whole he puts a half car on my 2000 LS1 Formula (auto- with ram air and SLP catback) but I quickly pass him and put about a car and a half on him at 80mph.

    His best time at the track was a 14 flat.

    Hope that helps.... best of luck!

    LT1's do sound better though! haha Real Beastly!

  3. #23
    Junior Member bandit_48032's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    55

    Yellow
    2011 Dodge Challenger

    Quote Originally Posted by Pythias View Post
    I still stand by my statement. What I would be asking is what would it take to run with an LS1 with full-bolt-ons.
    To run with or "beat" an LS1 you'll need the following: (Depending on auto/manual and the driver of corse!)

    Gears, Full Bolt On's, and spray or supercharger.

    Depending on what full bolt on's the LS1 has........

    If you go with the right heads/cam, Intake, headers, Y, and Catback I think you should be more than happy with you're LT1. Depending on the quality of the full bolt on LS1's aftermarket parts would also play a factor. If you have better quality heads and cam that make more power than that might be enough right there.

    But asuming the LS1 and the LT1 are running the same bolt on's that are giving both engines equal gains, spray or a supercharger will take care of that LS1!

  4. #24
    Member NHRAMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Vancouver,B.C.,Canada.W.Coast
    Posts
    513

    Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by RagTop View Post
    They are totally different engines. Different materials. Different designs. Different displacements. Different parts. Different family of engines. Totally different. The LT1 is the venerable Chevy 350 c.i. that came out of the 265/283/327 line of engines. The design is fifty years old. The LS1 displaces 346 cubic inches and is the first of a whole series of Chevy engines that were introduced around 1997 in the Covrette.
    EXCELLENT answer...you are 100% correct.
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

  5. #25
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    got me a little brain damage reading this thread from all the mis-information that has been corrected to an extent. i owned an 95 LT1 for 6 years before selling it for my 00ss. The difference is instantly noticable. LT1's have greater low end TQ response and off the line quickness. Hence the guy saying his friends LT1 would get him out of the hole. The LS1 has such a strong and hard mid-top end pull from TQ it's sick. LT1's start to die off around 5000rpm while the LS1 keeps pulling.

    The engines are completely different in design and power characteristics. The cast iron/alum head LT1 was notorious for blown head gaskets and engine retard (unless you changed to the LT4 knock module). I won't even start on the opti-spark located under the weep hole of the water pump (which was a reverse flow system). The rear 2 piece main seal leaked no matter what, along with the front seal as well. The LT1 was actually a 349c.i. engine.

    The Ls1 is a 346c.i. all alloy engine that weighs 70-80lbs less than the LT1. The reason for the heaver car was because of the more power the LS1 produced they upgraded the suspension and larger brakes, pistions, calipers, etc to handle the extra power. The LS1 is a quick revving car but the lower end is not there compared to the LT1. ever wonder why once an LS1 powered car hits 3rd gear they start to walk over and LT1? That's due to the surging mid/uppper range RPM power band and less recipricating mass the engine has due to being all alloy. Yes, all engines like to breathe, but the LS1 takes to aftermarket mods like no ones business. The LT1's respondse is good too but need 'more' to get there. I had my 95z28 modded, but it never felt like what my SS did (even before my cam). They are nothing alike, except for the fact they are a v-8, pushrod engine by design. that's were the similarities end and the differences begin...

    the LT1 was yesterdays technonlogy that our dads played with. The LS1 is todays technology that the LT1 allowed to create for the next generation of small block engine design, development and performance...
    2000 SS - The Wicked Witch: °°Cammed 'n Slammed°° 458rwhp/410rwtq
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_girl30
    I was hoping to just hump her up the exhaust cause she is so damn sexy....
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

  6. #26
    Member Chad97z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas / Irving
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    No sir, there is a huge difference especially in the lower RPMs, LT1s have instant torque and come out of the hole hard, LS1s come alive later in the rpm band. HP doesn't win races it sells cars and parts.


    By your thinking there is no difference between any two engines because they are all accomplishing the same thing. Everyone cares about the ignition system - there is a reason they changed to the LS1 setup rather than staying with the optispark. There is a reason that little company called MSD exists. Spark is important, and to say "who cares how it happens" is assinine.

    You could never be more wrong. LT1s NEVER respond to similar mods like an LS1, you are talking out of a bias towards LT1s and you obviously have no knowledge of the subject on which you are speaking.



    There's that bias I was talking about
    I bought a 2000 TA. So I know what they are like. I stand firm on my comments.

  7. #27
    Member Chad97z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas / Irving
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    got me a little brain damage reading this thread from all the mis-information that has been corrected to an extent. i owned an 95 LT1 for 6 years before selling it for my 00ss. The difference is instantly noticable. LT1's have greater low end TQ response and off the line quickness. Hence the guy saying his friends LT1 would get him out of the hole. The LS1 has such a strong and hard mid-top end pull from TQ it's sick. LT1's start to die off around 5000rpm while the LS1 keeps pulling.

    The engines are completely different in design and power characteristics. The cast iron/alum head LT1 was notorious for blown head gaskets and engine retard (unless you changed to the LT4 knock module). I won't even start on the opti-spark located under the weep hole of the water pump (which was a reverse flow system). The rear 2 piece main seal leaked no matter what, along with the front seal as well. The LT1 was actually a 349c.i. engine.

    The Ls1 is a 346c.i. all alloy engine that weighs 70-80lbs less than the LT1. The reason for the heaver car was because of the more power the LS1 produced they upgraded the suspension and larger brakes, pistions, calipers, etc to handle the extra power. The LS1 is a quick revving car but the lower end is not there compared to the LT1. ever wonder why once an LS1 powered car hits 3rd gear they start to walk over and LT1? That's due to the surging mid/uppper range RPM power band and less recipricating mass the engine has due to being all alloy. Yes, all engines like to breathe, but the LS1 takes to aftermarket mods like no ones business. The LT1's respondse is good too but need 'more' to get there. I had my 95z28 modded, but it never felt like what my SS did (even before my cam). They are nothing alike, except for the fact they are a v-8, pushrod engine by design. that's were the similarities end and the differences begin...

    the LT1 was yesterdays technonlogy that our dads played with. The LS1 is todays technology that the LT1 allowed to create for the next generation of small block engine design, development and performance...
    Part of the reason for the die off around 5k is because both the LS1 and LT1 redline in the 5k range. So you didnt say anything there. Plus, headers really helps the LT1 breath more at higher RPM's due to amount of exhaust exiting the block. Plus like I already said, changing the cam can solve any issue with HP at 5500 rpm. Gee.. just like the LS1.. Like I already said. different mod. DOH!

    And the heavier body was made just because they were trying to make it more ridged. Not because of some increase HP. haha look at the vette. They didnt do that and they got more HP than a f-body.

    I know the LS1 has a few cubic inch less than a LT1. so. like a few aint going to matter that much. So get off your narrow view.

    And I know the LS1 is lighter.. but the car is heavier.. so over all weight is the same.. duh.. already said that.

    I do agree that the brakes are better on the 98+. But I was not addressing brakes. That wasnt the question. We were talkign about engine performance.

    And yes I agree also that LT1's are more torquey at low end. Thats partially due to the cam. But again like I already said, I don't drive at 5500 rpm everyday.. hehe
    Last edited by Chad97z; 10-23-2006 at 09:41 AM.

  8. #28
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lost in Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,683

    Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    Part of the reason for the die off around 5k is because both the LS1 and LT1 redline in the 5k range. So you didnt say anything there. Plus, headers really helps the LT1 breath more at higher RPM's due to amount of exhaust exiting the block. Plus like I already said, changing the cam can solve any issue with HP at 5500 rpm. Gee.. just like the LS1.. Like I already said. different mod. DOH!

    And the heavier body was made just because they were trying to make it more ridged. Not because of some increase HP. haha look at the vette. They didnt do that and they got more HP than a f-body.

    I know the LS1 has a few cubic inch less than a LT1. so. like a few aint going to matter that much. So get off your narrow view.

    And I know the LS1 is lighter.. but the car is heavier.. so over all weight is the same.. duh.. already said that.

    I do agree that the brakes are better on the 98+. But I was not addressing brakes. That wasnt the question. We were talkign about engine performance.

    And yes I agree also that LT1's are more torquey at low end. Thats partially due to the cam. But again like I already said, I don't drive at 5500 rpm everyday.. hehe
    You're the one with the narrow view, listen to us. There's a reason you're alone in your opinion. He summed it up incredibly well, and you denounce the totally accurate truth that was provided to you. If you went from an LT1 to an LS1 and didn't feel the difference there was something SERIOUSLY wrong with the LS1.

    We get it, you can add headers to the LT1 and it will make more power. It will still lose to an LS1. Oh yeah, you can add headers to an LS1 also. . .so stop using that point.

  9. #29
    Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    houston, tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,045

    red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

    Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    The amount of incorrect information in this post is incredible.

    The LT1 and LS1 are nothing alike, nothing. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

    Why buy an LS1? Because $ for $ it will stomp a mudhole in an LT1. I love the LT1, it is a force to be reckoned with. I know because I had one for 5 years. Now I have an LS1 and I know the difference, and I know that although my LT1 was a beast, the LS1 is far superior in every aspect expect for exhaust note. Mods are not necessarily cheaper for an LT1 because they just aren't mass produced in the aftermarket like LS1 parts are. LT4 heads better than LS1 heads? I think not, besides you really need the LT4 intake for the LT4 heads and it isn't produced anymore. I have headers a lid and a cam and made 374 hp at the rear wheels. Thats what, 430 crank HP? You can't make that with an LT1 for 3 grand. I could still finish the bolt ons, get an LS6 intake and some heads and make 420 at the wheels. I'll still be under 3 grand in mods. THe LT1 is nice, but it's old school. It can not be compared to the LS1
    i do somewhat agree. but the 3k thing i dont i put a stroker in myself for 3k and im over 440 rwhp and 470 rwt. yeah $ for $ um i say lt1 they are a cheaper car.

  10. #30
    Member Chad97z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas / Irving
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    You're the one with the narrow view, listen to us. There's a reason you're alone in your opinion. He summed it up incredibly well, and you denounce the totally accurate truth that was provided to you. If you went from an LT1 to an LS1 and didn't feel the difference there was something SERIOUSLY wrong with the LS1.

    We get it, you can add headers to the LT1 and it will make more power. It will still lose to an LS1. Oh yeah, you can add headers to an LS1 also. . .so stop using that point.

    but LT1's have more to gain from adding headers and other mods. Thats the point. So i'm not saying dont buy an LS1, or even that LT1 is better.. What matters is how much it costs for the car. IMO, if you already have an LT1, its not worth trading for an LS1. I already have a 97 LT1 that has 305 HP from the factory.. plus my electric water pump and ported TB and custom programming.. So it would be stupid to buy an LS1. Very little gain there for way too much money to trade. But if you can get an LS1 for the right price, then go for it. When I get headers, I should get an added 20hp easy with my other mods. =) Then i'll race ya.

  11. #31
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lost in Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,683

    Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    but LT1's have more to gain from adding headers and other mods. Thats the point. So i'm not saying dont buy an LS1, or even that LT1 is better.. What matters is how much it costs for the car. IMO, if you already have an LT1, its not worth trading for an LS1. I already have a 97 LT1 that has 305 HP from the factory.. plus my electric water pump and ported TB and custom programming.. So it would be stupid to buy an LS1. Very little gain there for way too much money to trade. But if you can get an LS1 for the right price, then go for it. When I get headers, I should get an added 20hp easy with my other mods. =) Then i'll race ya.
    And I'm just saying you are wrong. I'm not the only one in this thread telling you that LS1s respond better to mods like headers than the LT1 does. It's a fact, period.

    No offence, but if you wanna race me you might wanna get a 100 shot of giggly juice and pray your ass off. With your mods and headers once you get them you MIGHT make 300hp at the wheels and be lucky enough to run in the 1/4 mile what an LS1 does stock. I still have the stock intake and only midlength headers and I made 374hp at the rear wheels through an automatic. . .

    '99 Z28 It's got the BADASS mod
    IT'S FOR SALE here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f38/99z28-lower-price-70562/

  12. #32
    Member Chad97z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas / Irving
    Posts
    396
    oh well ya see there.. thats cheating.

  13. #33
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lost in Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,683

    Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

    what's cheating?

  14. #34
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    what's cheating?
    no freakin' way, did he seriously just go there...lol i guess we're both cheaters since we have headers and a cam...

    neither you nor myself are disagreeing w/this guy. an engine whether LT1 or LS1 will respond to mods. yes LT1's might have more to gain because they are a lot more restricted in stock to near stock form than an LS1 is. I'm also not nor was I in my earleir post flaming people that had/have an LT1. I simply stated it would take more 'modding' to get an LT1 car up on par with an LS1 car. I'm glad you see that.

  15. #35
    Member ProwlerZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    33
    Posts
    404

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    Genius...pure genius. Just to clarify in case you don't have the common sense to think of it on your own: Before you ask, SEARCH Everyone on here is tired of responding to the same questions. Yes, there is a lot of differences between the two, yes, the LS1 is much more capable, and yes, mod for mod an LS1 will continue to embarass an LT1. Why? Because it's newer technology. It's like trying to argue for a 60's Chevy 350 against an LT1 just because you have one. Newer things in general are improved, therefore better.

    Also, for god's sake, don't join a board and pick a name until you've got the car. I know you're probably only 15 and you don't know better, but at least express that ignorance on a Ford site. And just to clarify, no, your parents aren't going to buy the car for you; you my friend will be driving a purple Geo Prizm.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

    '02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

  16. #36
    Member Chad97z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas / Irving
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    I simply stated it would take more 'modding' to get an LT1 car up on par with an LS1 car. I'm glad you see that.

    actually, I think that if the LS1 and the LT1 had the same size TB and the same size headers and similar cams with similar durations, and the same tuning, that the horsepower curves would be nearly identical. At a minimum, the gap between the two engines would be much smaller than what it is at factory setup. The only edge would be the LS1 heads that flow a bit better. (I say that based on other peoples comments). But again I say, LT1's can overcome that with LT4 heads.

    So again, the LT1's have more to gain mod for mod because of the original more restrictive design.

  17. #37
    Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    houston, tx
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,045

    red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    actually, I think that if the LS1 and the LT1 had the same size TB and the same size headers and similar cams with similar durations, and the same tuning, that the horsepower curves would be nearly identical. At a minimum, the gap between the two engines would be much smaller than what it is at factory setup. The only edge would be the LS1 heads that flow a bit better. (I say that based on other peoples comments). But again I say, LT1's can overcome that with LT4 heads.

    So again, the LT1's have more to gain mod for mod because of the original more restrictive design.
    dude lt1's are a stock power plant! your way off. if you want to keep it stock then ls1 if not lt1 but i had to put a 383 stroker cam headers well hell to much to list to finally smoke an ls1. i just hate aluminum blocks. my uncle runs precision engines and i see the things that happen to those things. im all lt1. but a stock ls will out run a lt any day of the week, even on leap year!

  18. #38
    Member ProwlerZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Age
    33
    Posts
    404

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    Let's make this easy, make your LT1 a full bolt on, throw in some 4.10s, and spray it with a 150; We'll be dead even on mods, so since you'll have a car that's just as fast, I'll give you 2 lengths in the 1/4. Should we call pinks?

  19. #39
    Member Chad97z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas / Irving
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    dude lt1's are a stock power plant! your way off. if you want to keep it stock then ls1 if not lt1 but i had to put a 383 stroker cam headers well hell to much to list to finally smoke an ls1. i just hate aluminum blocks. my uncle runs precision engines and i see the things that happen to those things. im all lt1. but a stock ls will out run a lt any day of the week, even on leap year!

    I know a stock 97 LT1 is a power plant. duh... But if you did all that to beat an LS1, then you wasted a lot of money.. unless u did it yourself. and it doesnt take 440 hp to beat an ls-uno hehe
    Last edited by Chad97z; 10-23-2006 at 07:38 PM.

  20. #40
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lost in Texas
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,683

    Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

    Seriously, get your headers and a 100 shot and we'll meet halfway between lubbock and Irving to race. Loser pays for the winners gas to make the trip. I know you say the headers will be enough, but I think you should get a 100 shot just to make it fun for me. I'm not trying to talk crap, but we can let the facts speak for themself and maybe this will be settled.

    I'll say it again too, LT4 heads are not a good point for you anymore, cause you can't buy the intake, they stopped making it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •