Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

/LT Header time?

This is a discussion on /LT Header time? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Well, the cats just arrived. After my sons T-ball game tomorrow, God willing, I'm gonna start on them!...

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Well, the cats just arrived. After my sons T-ball game tomorrow, God willing, I'm gonna start on them!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I guess I don't understand why you bought the cats if you are getting long tubes. If the car won't pass the emissions with the headers on, and you have to put the stock stuff back on it in less then 2 years, why didn't you just get an ORY? Less money also that way.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I guess I don't understand why you bought the cats if you are getting long tubes. If the car won't pass the emissions with the headers on, and you have to put the stock stuff back on it in less then 2 years, why didn't you just get an ORY? Less money also that way.
    My thinking is if I can find a shop to over look the Lt's it will atleast pass the sniffer and be burning right. And if I do get pulled over and for some reason they check under the hood atleast it'll have the cats on it. I know it's pretty if'y but thats how I look at it.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    My thinking is if I can find a shop to over look the Lt's it will atleast pass the sniffer and be burning right. And if I do get pulled over and for some reason they check under the hood atleast it'll have the cats on it. I know it's pretty if'y but thats how I look at it.
    The cats will quite the car down some (make it more liveable) and the car won't smell Both reasons I got my cats after I ran w/o them for a while to many cops driving behind me making me nervous, what cats did you get?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

And if the cop is not too knowlegable, he might let you go because at least you do have some convertors on it.

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    The cats will quite the car down some (make it more liveable) and the car won't smell Both reasons I got my cats after I ran w/o them for a while to many cops driving behind me making me nervous, what cats did you get?
    Absolutely right. I have an ORY and sometimes I do get the stench. I can live with it tho, and it is a lot louder now.

Sometimes I can start the car, after it is already warm, give the gas pedal 1/8 throttle or a little more, it will explode to life. I've scared a few parking lot attendents that way LOL, then I just let it idle normally and drive normal.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    And if the cop is not too knowlegable, he might let you go because at least you do have some convertors on it.

Absolutely right. I have an ORY and sometimes I do get the stench. I can live with it tho, and it is a lot louder now.

Sometimes I can start the car, after it is already warm, give the gas pedal 1/8 throttle or a little more, it will explode to life. I've scared a few parking lot attendents that way LOL, then I just let it idle normally and drive normal.
    True duals my man turn up the volume the echo at the end is the best part can't say anyone w/ a parked car used to be a fan of my exhaust

I can't believe you got metallic spun cats for under $40 good luck to you.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Talking

True duals my man turn up the volume the echo at the end is the best part can't say anyone w/ a parked car used to be a fan of my exhaust
    Click for full size

Your Car sounds awesome! Ya, thats what I thought when I saw them too. Hopefully they'll be good cats. If not they were cheap.
    Nobody around here had 3" cherrybombs in stock so I got online and got some Summit brand 3" cherrybomb style mufflers coming. Should be here tomorrow. Then on friday,I hope, I can start the install.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Click for full size

Sounds great!

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Well the headers fit up nice and tight and theres plenty of room for the cat on the pass side. The drivers side is another story. If I were running an ory there would be no problem. The header fits so close the the underside the cat won't fit its hitting the cross support that runs inline with the transcrossmember. If the collector wasn't so long I don't think this would be an issuie.I've tried bending the header down and I only got about an extra 1/2'. I don't know what i'm going to do. gonna take a break today and hit it fresh tomorrow.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Well the headers fit up nice and tight and theres plenty of room for the cat on the pass side. The drivers side is another story. If I were running an ory there would be no problem. The header fits so close the the underside the cat won't fit its hitting the cross support that runs inline with the transcrossmember. If the collector wasn't so long I don't think this would be an issuie.I've tried bending the header down and I only got about an extra 1/2'. I don't know what i'm going to do. gonna take a break today and hit it fresh tomorrow.
    When you crank it. See if there is any air leaks on the headers. And how do the welds look?
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Is it possible to make a dent in the converter for clearance?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I had to sacrifice some clearence to put on my cat's, that's just the way it is unfortunatley. If you take your car to an exhaust shop you can have them weld on further back for clearence, when it comes time for smog wrap up the pipes to keep the heat in- I know it sucks

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I had to sacrifice some clearence to put on my cat's, that's just the way it is unfortunatley. If you take your car to an exhaust shop you can have them weld on further back for clearence, when it comes time for smog wrap up the pipes to keep the heat in- I know it sucks
    I would assume that cali is that bad when it comes to smog and cars. In PA where I am from a few extra dollars and a case of beer = stickers for another year

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Called my dad up for some ideas he came by and helped me out. should have called him sooner he's been hotroddin alot longer than me! Everythings in including the cats plenty of clearence and sounds good,much louder. The tires hate'em now,lol! Car runs awesome!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

congrats now vid or instaban!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Called my dad up for some ideas he came by and helped me out. should have called him sooner he's been hotroddin alot longer than me! Everythings in including the cats plenty of clearence and sounds good,much louder. The tires hate'em now,lol! Car runs awesome!
    So what did your pops do to help you out?

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

congrats now vid or instaban!
    I'll try and get something up, I think my camera can record video.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    So what did your pops do to help you out?
    He had me cut a couple inches off the collector and with some scrap exaust pipe we were able to reangle the cat to go around the unibody support without losing much ground clearance. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

He had me cut a couple inches off the collector and with some scrap exaust pipe we were able to reangle the cat to go around the unibody support without losing much ground clearance. Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best.
    thanks. I have my pacesetters with tsp catted Y, and trying to collect all the info I can before the work. That and I don't have $180 for the 02's and gaskets anymore (baby came early).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information