Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LS2 vs L99

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

LS2 vs L99

So what is the real differince between my 05 GTO and a auto 2010 SS ??? Besides the GTO is almost payed for ....LOL...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    So what is the real differince between my 05 GTO and a auto 2010 SS ??? Besides the GTO is almost payed for ....LOL...
    The l99 is a 6.2 liter with DOD, ls2 is 6.0 without DOD. The l99 has the same heads as the ls3 heads which flow better than the ls2. They both make 400hp but if you got rid of the l99s BS DOD it would make the same power as the ls3.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the lifters are different as are the valves (not 100% sure on the valves). the L99 is a great engine when you get DOD/AFM out of the way.

Pewter
    2002 z28 A4

whats DOD ?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Displacement On Demand

Quote Originally Posted by WhatUpWhatUp View Post
    whats DOD ?

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

meaning keep the gto and wait for the new camaro to come out on a different platform thats smaller

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    meaning keep the gto and wait for the new camaro to come out on a different platform thats smaller
    you mean the concept 2014 camaro with a v6 TT ??? nooooooo thanks

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

why not lol

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    why not lol
    having a v6 for the ss is blasphemy

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Thanks for the info on the DOD , did not know that ..

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    having a v6 for the ss is blasphemy
    You know there is talk about the next gen ZR-1 being a mid engine twin turbo 6. Who has taken control of GM? The government or porsche lol.

I would love to see the next gen z06 be a mid engine ls7 car wit ha few extra ponies. That would be a lovely sound coming from behind you.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    You know there is talk about the next gen ZR-1 being a mid engine twin turbo 6. Who has taken control of GM? The government or porsche lol.

I would love to see the next gen z06 be a mid engine ls7 car wit ha few extra ponies. That would be a lovely sound coming from behind you.
    there has been MR and v6 TT talk about the vette for decades ...i just dont think it is going to happen.

with the viper having the plug pulled ...the last true american muscle car is dead...the last remotely top of the line muscle car is the vette..and a MR design..while sporty and having great handling characteristics ....isnt a vette..and isnt a american muscle classic either.. they take a big, great sounding v8 away from the vette and or move the chassis to a MR design ..they will have killed the vette and i would loose all faith in GM and their understanding of their roots.......

Arctic White, red/gray

there has been MR and v6 TT talk about the vette for decades ...i just dont think it is going to happen.

with the viper having the plug pulled ...the last true american muscle car is dead...the last remotely top of the line muscle car is the vette..and a MR design..while sporty and having great handling characteristics ....isnt a vette..and isnt a american muscle classic either.. they take a big, great sounding v8 away from the vette and or move the chassis to a MR design ..they will have killed the vette and i would loose all faith in GM and their understanding of their roots.......
    You could look at it that way and soemtimes i do. Or you can look at it from the best bang for buck car on the market. Putting the engine in the rear would add almost no cost to producing the car, but would most likely bump performance as far as handling and stability. It would be an even better bang for buck deal. But i dont want a v6 back there, def still a v8.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

You could look at it that way and soemtimes i do. Or you can look at it from the best bang for buck car on the market. Putting the engine in the rear would add almost no cost to producing the car, but would most likely bump performance as far as handling and stability. It would be an even better bang for buck deal. But i dont want a v6 back there, def still a v8.
    I will have to respectfully disagree in not adding cost to the vehicle. The start up cost for the project would be tremendous! You would have to retool the assembly line down in Bowling Green to accomplish the MR vehicle. Not only that, but the cost of R&D and engineering would be great. I see your point that after all is said and done, the cost of the actual production will be right around the cost of a Vette now, but its getting to that point which will be expensive, and the first production of the vehicle, the consumer will be eating that cost. I think it's a fail from the start and will probably never pick up sales. Obviously this is just my opinion... I could be completely wrong.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

It is definitly the government....all the tighter and tighter regulations on emissions and MPG's. hmmm weird....does this sound like the 70's again?

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I will have to respectfully disagree in not adding cost to the vehicle. The start up cost for the project would be tremendous! You would have to retool the assembly line down in Bowling Green to accomplish the MR vehicle. Not only that, but the cost of R&D and engineering would be great. I see your point that after all is said and done, the cost of the actual production will be right around the cost of a Vette now, but its getting to that point which will be expensive, and the first production of the vehicle, the consumer will be eating that cost. I think it's a fail from the start and will probably never pick up sales. Obviously this is just my opinion... I could be completely wrong.
    Yes i understand and agree with the fact that research and production changes would increase cost. But they spent a butt load on the new camaro and still got that out the door at a reasonable price. I dont think it would increase sales either. My only point is i think it would make the car a better performance vehicle.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    It is definitly the government....all the tighter and tighter regulations on emissions and MPG's. hmmm weird....does this sound like the 70's again?
    Lol yes, but a twin turbo 6 cylinder will barley save any mpgs over a v8. With turbos comes alot of air and with alot of air more fuel is needed. Even with DI the porsche GT2 are still getting 1-2mpg worse than the simular weighing z06. 2010- 530hp gt2 22mpg freeway, 2010 505hp z06- 24mpg freeway
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-07-2010 at 09:48 AM.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    not to mention the fact that they will have FR base model vette and z06...then they will also have to be able to retool and do a MR zr1 also will add to the cost.....i didnt even think about that.

Arctic White, red/gray

not to mention the fact that they will have FR base model vette and z06...then they will also have to be able to retool and do a MR zr1 also will add to the cost.....i didnt even think about that.
    I think they meant the whole vette line up would be mr.

98' trans am

I think they meant the whole vette line up would be mr.
    that would make more economic sense

Thread Information