Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LS1 vs. LT1

This is a discussion on LS1 vs. LT1 within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; There will always be a war between these 2 engines. In reality the Ls1 is the better version of the ...

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

There will always be a war between these 2 engines. In reality the Ls1 is the better version of the LT1. When it comes to stock engines the LS1 will pull ahead of the LT1 Remember that the LT1 still has a iron block while the LS1 has aluminum block big differenc. Of course thats not the only difference Ls1 had coil packs while the LT1 has the sucky optispark. Lt1's are cheaper to find and if u look around u can ger a good decent one for a good price. Both cars respond great to mods. Look around and test drive both the Ls1 and Lt1 see the difference and go from there. both cars are fun to drive and both are fast but remember no matter how fast you are there will always be somebody faster! Thats just the way things are lol I had a 97 SS used to kick ass on that car beat both LS1 and LT1's I knew my car was faster than stock LS1's but i knew there were some faster LS1s as I found out in the track >: D Point is both cars are great and fun to drive Take your time and look around test drive them and decide which one you wanna get. Dont rush your decision because you might end up regreting it if u not happy with what you got. Inspect both cars from top to bottom and when u ready to buy it the go for it. remember Money talks! I got my 2002 SS for 12000 with 26xxx miles and the owner wanted 14500 but when he saw the money in my hands he drop it to 12000!! Happy Hunting!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Still going! I've had both an LT1 and an LS1 car. Liked the nose on the 96 better but there is no comparision between the engines. The only thing they share is the bore spacing (4.4"). EVERYTHING else is different. From the bigger brakes to the different sub-frame to the bell housing bolt pattern. Except for the 98 even the gas tanks are different.

In any case either version of the 4th gen will run circles around most other vehicles.

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I would go for the ls1, for one you have more power stock than an lt1 and lt1's have a horrible history for maintenance. The ls1 is a more reliable motor, you will have less problems.

red
    1994 Camaro Z28

LT1 Headaches

Quote Originally Posted by spookyz28 View Post
    I would go for the ls1, for one you have more power stock than an lt1 and lt1's have a horrible history for maintenance. The ls1 is a more reliable motor, you will have less problems.
    Good point bout reliability; my LT1 has been ok..for bein a 94...I had it since almost new...but that dang optispark..cost me a lot when coolant leaked in from the intake!!! Couple sensors too..along the way , but that's routine , I think.

red
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by prietodogg View Post
    There will always be a war between these 2 engines. In reality the Ls1 is the better version of the LT1. When it comes to stock engines the LS1 will pull ahead of the LT1 Remember that the LT1 still has a iron block while the LS1 has aluminum block big differenc. Of course thats not the only difference Ls1 had coil packs while the LT1 has the sucky optispark. Lt1's are cheaper to find and if u look around u can ger a good decent one for a good price. Both cars respond great to mods. Look around and test drive both the Ls1 and Lt1 see the difference and go from there. both cars are fun to drive and both are fast but remember no matter how fast you are there will always be somebody faster! Thats just the way things are lol I had a 97 SS used to kick ass on that car beat both LS1 and LT1's I knew my car was faster than stock LS1's but i knew there were some faster LS1s as I found out in the track >: D Point is both cars are great and fun to drive Take your time and look around test drive them and decide which one you wanna get. Dont rush your decision because you might end up regreting it if u not happy with what you got. Inspect both cars from top to bottom and when u ready to buy it the go for it. remember Money talks! I got my 2002 SS for 12000 with 26xxx miles and the owner wanted 14500 but when he saw the money in my hands he drop it to 12000!! Happy Hunting!

Comprehensive answers such as this one are what this forum is all about!! Thanx for your participation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information