ls1 m6 camaro buyer's guide?

This is a discussion on ls1 m6 camaro buyer's guide? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; so i got kinda screwed on the last camaro i had lined up to buy, well i put another deposit ...

black
    1999 ss m6

ls1 m6 camaro buyer's guide?

so i got kinda screwed on the last camaro i had lined up to buy, well i put another deposit down and am going to look at another 2000 black/black ls1 m6 z28. it only has 31K miles and original owner, garaged, weekend toy, but it has lots of bolt ons and a 150 shot wet nitrous kit on it, owner says he never sprayed over 50 shot because he didn't get around to tune it and he says he was having problems setting up the ATP (??) system to look a the fuel ratio (??) but i'm not so sure he never sprayed higher than that.

basically i'm looking for a buyers guide that points out the common problems and anything special i should look for on friday given that it has been sprayed and other basic ls1 issues
    . i searched around and know the basics, ie: weak 10 bolt, ignition system,

but looking for some additional pointes, maybe how to tell if the rear end is on its way out but not yet broken?

also have heard some horror stories about low mileage ls1 cars having minor rod knock issues??

what should i pay particular attention to?

thanks guys, this site is badass

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

I think i have that rod knock issue that you are talking about. I just bought an 02 Z28. When idling i can hear what sounds like a knock but it's pretty timid. I don't hear it all the time either. It's not consistent with temp. RPMs or anything. I can't figure out what it is but i've gotten on it many times and it hasn't missed a beat. Oh yea and it only had 28,000 on it when i drove it home 3 weeks ago, now it has 29,000. I have a 3 month 3,000 mile warranty i was thinking of taking it to a dealer, since it's paid for and see what they say about the noise. I'll let you know the outcome if i take it.

Black
    2002 camaro Z28

I to have the dreaded death knock especially in the winter when its cold. As soon as it warms up though its gone. Mostly all modern gm ls series v8's are known for this. I bought my 02 z28 with 27,000 miles and now have just about 40,000 on it and have had no problems at all. awesome throttle response and never felt a miss or anything. I worked for a chevy dealership for a while and this was a major complaint with trucks. I actually think theres a website were people are trying to get a class action lawsuit against gm For this.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

You may be mistaking rod knock with "piston slap". A common problem with the LS series, especially the truck motors. My original LS1 never made a peep, until that dreaded morning when I fired her up to go to work. Then all hell broke loose, actually it was the rod that broke loose, and sent the piston through the passenger side of the motor. Oh well...time for the LS6 crate motor and mods. Now I'm at around 450 ponies when they're all galloping. Piston slap will generally go away when she warms up, rod knock won't.

black
    1999 ss m6

and i guess the best way to tell if the car has this issues is start it when its stone cold and listen real close to the motor?

can someone try to kind of describe what this sounds like so i would know if i heard this?

i would shed a damn tear if my 30K mile ls1 had some major bottom end terminal issue! i definately can not afford an ls6 motor right now either...

black
    1999 ss m6

Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    You may be mistaking rod knock with "piston slap". A common problem with the LS series, especially the truck motors. My original LS1 never made a peep, until that dreaded morning when I fired her up to go to work. Then all hell broke loose, actually it was the rod that broke loose, and sent the piston through the passenger side of the motor. Oh well...time for the LS6 crate motor and mods. Now I'm at around 450 ponies when they're all galloping. Piston slap will generally go away when she warms up, rod knock won't.
    any idea why the motor let go? how many miles on it when this happened? did you ever spray it?

sad to hear, but glad your car is back in action X 10

do you guys do anything when you hear this or just keep driving it hard and hope it doesn't blow up?
    Last edited by allforspeed; 06-27-2007 at 04:38 PM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I got the ole piston slap wont harm anything.........I think I would stay away from a car that has n02. Car probally has been really ran hard. But then again hard to find a used sport car that has not been rode hard.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I agree with Jesusfan, I too would stay away from a car who's owner obviously drove it hard. We all do...but if he "squeezed" it, you know he probably drove it even harder, and more often. Just my 2 cents. My car had 62K when we bought it. Bone stock, just a Flowmaster. Bought it from a dealer, no Carfax done. I changed the oil and babied it most of the time. NO WARNING whatsoever that the rod was going to let go. Afterwards, I searched the net, only found 3 other unfortunate guys that this happened to. None of them abused, or were racing their cars when it happened either. Just one of those things. This is not my DD. So it only was run once or twice a month. When we decided to drop the $$$ into it, we only had it 6 months before this happened, like anyone else, I just wanted to know WHY, or how this could happen. The guy who dropped the LS6 into it, and did the other mods at the same time, including tuning (so he seems to know what he's doing) said the reason probably was two things. Are you ready for this?
    1.) The original owner probably didn't change the oil. TRUE, the oil was worse than I've ever seen coming out, it was like black syrup!!!
    2.) Since it sat for most of the time, the cylinders became dry, COMBINED with the old oil that was in the car most of it's PRIOR ownership's time, that had a major influence on the rod letting go.
    I don't know if it all makes sense, but at that point, did it really matter? Bottom line boys, change your oil and be safe. We dropped about 8K into it, but the brand new LS6 was only $2999.00 So don't stress if you ever lose your LS1.

black
    1999 ss m6

yeah, i know nitrous is pretty controversial, i'm not super concerned about that cause the car looks like it was maintained and owned by someone who knows whats up, i have had a dozen 5.0 mustangs and sprayed a bunch of them, and i still take care of my car, actually the guy who is selling this car is on this board somewhere, he mentioned this site actually when i was talking with him,

i think the best thing for me to do is to take the car to synergy motorsports, a well known ls1 shop and have them check it over before i buy it, the car has stock exhaust manifold and Y pipe, but most every other bolt on, i dont know, i'm kinda torn now

this car has only had mobil 1 in it since break in and he has all maintenance records so it seems pretty meticulously maintained too

how do you fix piston slap? and where did you get a brand new ls6 for 3K$?!?!?!

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Fix the piston slap by buying the LS6! lol! The piston slap is loose tolerances in the design of the piston material, and bore. no easy fix. The LS6 was purchased at Crateenginedepot.com
    They sell two different LS6's One for $4700.00, the other is unlisted, but is available for $2999.00 Both come with the correct heads, sodium filled valves bla bla bla...same HP rating too...405hp in the Vette, 400 in the CTS-V. The Caddy has more restrictive exhaust, but it's the same motor.
    Buy the darn car!

black
    1999 ss m6

haahha...thanks man, probably what i'm going to do. thanks! the thing is a cream puff and i'll get the stamp of approval from the local speedshop then let the modding begin!

by the way

http://www.pistonslap.com/photos.htm

here is for the class action suit against GM for the piston slap and has the sound a piston slapping motor makes in a .mp3 file on the site

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by allforspeed View Post
    so i got kinda screwed on the last camaro i had lined up to buy, well i put another deposit down and am going to look at another 2000 black/black ls1 m6 z28. it only has 31K miles and original owner, garaged, weekend toy, but it has lots of bolt ons and a 150 shot wet nitrous kit on it, owner says he never sprayed over 50 shot because he didn't get around to tune it and he says he was having problems setting up the ATP (??) system to look a the fuel ratio (??) but i'm not so sure he never sprayed higher than that.

basically i'm looking for a buyers guide that points out the common problems and anything special i should look for on friday given that it has been sprayed and other basic ls1 issues
    . i searched around and know the basics, ie: weak 10 bolt, ignition system,

but looking for some additional pointes, maybe how to tell if the rear end is on its way out but not yet broken?

also have heard some horror stories about low mileage ls1 cars having minor rod knock issues??

what should i pay particular attention to?

thanks guys, this site is badass
    The biggest suggenstion that I could give you is to take it to a mechanic. Before I bought my car I took it to the Chevy dealership and had them check everything out. It only costs like $170 but it's money well spent because unless there is some kind of warrenty written down in paper used cars are sold "as is" and once you buy it any problems that occur will be your problems. Just my 2 cents.

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

Quote Originally Posted by MySwtZ View Post
    I to have the dreaded death knock especially in the winter when its cold. As soon as it warms up though its gone. Mostly all modern gm ls series v8's are known for this. I bought my 02 z28 with 27,000 miles and now have just about 40,000 on it and have had no problems at all. awesome throttle response and never felt a miss or anything. I worked for a chevy dealership for a while and this was a major complaint with trucks. I actually think theres a website were people are trying to get a class action lawsuit against gm For this.
    http://www.pistonslap.com/

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

that website seems to say it started with 1999 LS1's then? Do the 98's have this?

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

m6...

Thread Information