Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LS1 or LT1 ???

White
    99 Camaro Z28

LS1 or LT1 ???

ok guys as you know i owe a mustang gt..so u guys must be thinking "so wat are u doing here ?" well im love with camrao's z28 /ss..im thinking of selling my GT for a ls1 or lt1...besides the power diffrences between those two engines...wat makes the other engine better besides beaning newer??

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Ls1 has many options just like the lt1 but lt1's need bolt ons to keep up with a stock ls1... so a ls1 with bolt ons will beat a lt1 with bolt ons

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

LS1 has a better designed ignition system and coolant flow, imho. There are some LT1 cars that are awesome, but staying away from the opti-spark and reverse flow cooling systems would probably be a good move coming in from scratch.

BTW - I for one love Mustangs....owned a few myself. Sounds like Ford is coming out with a very good engine in the new model. Overall, I like the new Camaro, but I'm not overly impressed with it. A 98-02 LS1 F-body with some bolt-ons ain't losing anything performance-wise compared to it's overweight younger brother.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    LS1 has a better designed ignition system and coolant flow, imho. There are some LT1 cars that are awesome, but staying away from the opti-spark and reverse flow cooling systems would probably be a good move coming in from scratch.

BTW - I for one love Mustangs....owned a few myself. Sounds like Ford is coming out with a very good engine in the new model. Overall, I like the new Camaro, but I'm not overly impressed with it. A 98-02 LS1 F-body with some bolt-ons ain't losing anything performance-wise compared to it's overweight younger brother.
    Unless you consider performance to be only straight line racing. The new camaro is heavier but handles better and has a much better brake package.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Unless you consider performance to be only straight line racing. The new camaro is heavier but handles better and has a much better brake package.
    You're probably right about that in stock form, but some aftermarket add-ons and tweaks to the 98-02 can negate that too. I mean I added S&D rotors and ceramic pads to my stock calipers and greatly improved the braking on my '99 over what it was like stock.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    You're probably right about that in stock form, but some aftermarket add-ons and tweaks to the 98-02 can negate that too. I mean I added S&D rotors and ceramic pads to my stock calipers and greatly improved the braking on my '99 over what it was like stock.
    So do the same to the 2010 and you have an even better stopping car. I know where your coming from as i had upgraded rotors pads and lines on my T/A but comparing stock to modded is just silly because the other guy can always mod his car aswell and your right back where you started... behind.

We should probably stop jacking this thread lol

To the OP the ls1 is better because as said earlier, no damn optispark, no reverse coolant system, the engine is lighter because its an aluminium block and it flows air better even more so at upper rpms.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-22-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

So do the same to the 2010 and you have an even better stopping car. I know where your coming from as i had upgraded rotors pads and lines on my T/A but comparing stock to modded is just silly because the other guy can always mod his car aswell and your right back where you started... behind.

We should probably stop jacking this thread lol

To the OP the ls1 is better because as said earlier, no damn optispark, no reverse coolant system, the engine is lighter because its an aluminium block and it flows air better even more so at upper rpms.
    Modding a <10K LS1 car versus modding a >35k new Camaro is an entirely different animal....at least to me. LS1 powered cars have a big aftermarket for parts and you'll still have money to actually purchase them! LT1 stuff is certainly available too, but I still have to give the nod to the LS1 models.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Dont even consider a LT1 car ... LS1 is SO much better ...As far as the 2010 , I say drive it , or at least sit in it , then make you decision

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 14camarolover View Post
    ok guys as you know i owe a mustang gt..so u guys must be thinking "so wat are u doing here ?" well im love with camrao's z28 /ss..im thinking of selling my GT for a ls1 or lt1...besides the power diffrences between those two engines...wat makes the other engine better besides beaning newer??
    Well, If you can get an LS1 within your price range, definently don't hesitate, go for it, but do not underestimate the LT1's, they are really not bad motors at all. They have a lot of potential as well.

Or you could even put the money into the GT, maybe do a PI head swap

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Well, If you can get an LS1 within your price range, definently don't hesitate, go for it, but do not underestimate the LT1's, they are really not bad motors at all. They have a lot of potential as well.

Or you could even put the money into the GT, maybe do a PI head swap
    And still have a hard time making 220whp?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My perspective: I traded in a 49,xxx mile 96 Z28 vert (an LT1 car) in on a 3 year old 29,xxx mile 02 Z28 (LS1 car) back in 2005.

I actually didn't want to get rid of the vert because, well it's a vert! Plus it was the only car I'd ever bought new. But the dealer gave me $11k for it in trade. It was kinda like a deal that I couldn't refuse because at that point the 02 was costing me only $7k. That trade is also why I have the 98: I needed a daily driver (the 02 is a track/pleasure car) for work (which was what I was gonna keep the 96 for) and I like the LS1.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Don't even waste your time trying to weigh the pros/cons. Concentrate your efforts on an LS1.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Don't even waste your time trying to weigh the pros/cons. Concentrate your efforts on an LS1.
    +1

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Me - 2000 M6 Z28 w/ Lid, LM1 65k miles

My friend - 1995 M6 Z28 STOCK w/ 92k miles

Hes pretty much neck and neck with me from dig or roll for the most part... I might just suck at driving. hahaha

I start to pull from him around 40mph ish barely

EDIT: 60ish mph
    Last edited by mammoth713; 04-22-2010 at 06:17 PM.

silver
    2002 ws6

And still have a hard time making 220whp?
    guys with trick flow 2v heads are hitting around the 400 hp mark n\a now.

black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I've had both...'95 LT1 Z28 Convertible and currently a '99 LS1 T-top coupe. Both were/are 6 speeds. My initial impresions of the LS1 was that it felt similar to the LT1 driving around or even leaving a stop light with some enthusiasm. However, the LS1 seems to keep pulling way after the LT1 flattened out. I got rid ot the LT1 car due to fear of the optispark and reverse cooling after nearly 100,000 miles of faithfull service. The LS1 just apears so much more accessable under the hood too.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

yup, not a big fan of LT1 interiors and the intake setup is much nicer on an LS1. Also what was said about cooling and that optispark that has its problems

black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I sorta liked the interior of the '95 with everything canted towards driver. A '93 with the yellow gauges woulda been cool..if not a bit gaudy.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Ive owned a 97 LT1, a 02' SS, a 01' ws6 and now i have a 99' z28. After having an LS1 i would never go back to an LT1. LT1's arent bad and they do have potential, but..... its like comparing a pork chop to a t-bone steak, which would you rather have? (assuming your not a vegetarian)

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

What about a 96-97 SS .. if you could get it for under $10k ,, would it be worth it ??

Thread Information