Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LS1 or LT1 ???

This is a discussion on LS1 or LT1 ??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by big hammer guys with trick flow 2v heads are hitting around the 400 hp mark n\a now. ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    guys with trick flow 2v heads are hitting around the 400 hp mark n\a now.

I thought he meant a stock pi head swap from the newer GTs.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    What about a 96-97 SS .. if you could get it for under $10k ,, would it be worth it ??
    You can get 98-2000 SS for under 10k.

White
    99 Camaro Z28

i thought about doing the piswap with ith some stage2 cams ..i would be close to 300hp..and followed with full bolf ons.. but idk..i want a maro..ived tested out some ls1 and lt1 and yea ls1's do feel better and faster but lt1 are still mean..idk wat im gonna do...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

something people arent really talking about.......obdII and the fact that 99s+ have huge increases in powers in terms of pcms.

on top of that ...evolution is an amazing thing. The GenIIIs were built from the ground up using new "at the time" tech. the cooling, the engine management, the intake, the heads, the valvetrain, block are all huge improvements...you also have aluminum vs iron..there is a reason that the ls1 is concidered one of the 10 best engines ever made, and that all GenIV+ will be based on the design of ls1.

LS1 period

[/THREAD]

Arctic White, red/gray

OBDII started in 96, or were you just refering to the different computers in the 98 f-bodys compared to the 99+s
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-23-2010 at 10:57 AM.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by 14camarolover View Post
    i thought about doing the piswap with ith some stage2 cams ..i would be close to 300hp..and followed with full bolf ons.. but idk..i want a maro..ived tested out some ls1 and lt1 and yea ls1's do feel better and faster but lt1 are still mean..idk wat im gonna do...
    I mean the setup you mentioned for your GT would be cool. Judging by what I've read, you can get about 60hp out of the PI swap alone, which consists of the heads, intake, all the gaskets etc., ported with cams you'll probably be seeing gains around 80-130rwhp, and this is coming from a write-up I read a while ago on the benefits of swapping out those NPI heads on the SN series 4.6 GT's. All of that is SUPER expensive though, I would personally just stick to getting a LS1/LT1 F-body if I were you.

But still, thats always an option I guess if for some reason things don't work out with getting into an F-body.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    You can get 98-2000 SS for under 10k.
    just saying I really like those cars , and you can find some with VERY low miles ..

Cyber gray metalic
    2010 corvette

Hm,
    I have had several of both LT1 & LS1 SS camaro's and have a 1997 SS with only 18,000 miles on it now. I like the look of the 96-97 SS better IMO. The LS1 is a better engine for sure but the LT1 is a very good piece for it's day.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by 1 slow ss View Post
    Hm,
    I have had several of both LT1 & LS1 SS camaro's and have a 1997 SS with only 18,000 miles on it now. I like the look of the 96-97 SS better IMO. The LS1 is a better engine for sure but the LT1 is a very good piece for it's day.
    I already have a LS2 GTO , so I have the HP .. and I also just like the look of those SS

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Zinergy - Man, you could really Fk up a wet dream, cant'cha?!?!?! Never leaving a comment about what the OP wants info on, and it seems that alot of threads P has locked recently, you've been involved in... so what's up?!

OP - Like has been said about the LT1 ignition system (opti), its junk and expensive to replace. Not sure what it's even good up till, but I can tell you it's not much past 6k, possibly around 6500. I know those engines can run damn good with say, a CC306 cam. Then again, you've got quite a few cams out here for the LS1 as well. And I'll follow right along with what 10spoke said, for every bolt on you do (85% anyways) to both engines, the LS will always come out on top. You've got other specifics like the intake, intake/exhaust head port designs, etc. but I'm not familiar at all with either of the 2.

If I were stuck with say, $5k and had to find one or the other, I'd definately hold out on a used LS1. You'll be able to find a nice one with not too many miles on it, that hasn't been rode very hard, eventually. Then again you can find a pretty nice LT1 car with under 100k miles for right now, around $5k as well. If you're trying to decide on what to build for the 1/4 or 1/8 mile track, LS1 hands down. If it's a DD you're trying to set certain goals for, an LT1 will do the job. Atleast, compared to your GT it will

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

It has a big wing!

If you have the cash... LS1. No arguments.

LT1s are great! I had a 93' Z28 and it was fun as hell.... Much can be done with either platform.

The LS1 is just better.Plain and simple.
    1999 Firehawk Trans Am #530

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Baluchitherium View Post
    If you have the cash... LS1. No arguments.

LT1s are great! I had a 93' Z28 and it was fun as hell.... Much can be done with either platform.

The LS1 is just better.Plain and simple.
    Had two 94 formulas. T-top automatic and a hardtop 6 speed. Both were great cars, the t-top auto had a shift kit, blowmaster, hypertech, CAI, my 6 speed was BONE STOCK.

The automatic had been run hard, 160k miles, but looked great and was my DD beater. The 6 speed I bought had more than likely been ran hard as well, nothing left of the brakes on the back, needed the rear rebuilt, and had 120k miles on it. Put all new brakes on the car, had the rear rebuilt, gave it a tune-up.

Ran both cars, I drove the 6 speed, GF drove the auto. It took the best driving I could muster to get that 6 speed to run side-by-side with that automatic but one thing was very obvious. From about 60-70mph and up, both had run out of breath, if you were to compare it to the younger LS engine. I also have a good story of a maxxed out bolt on/geared LT1 running my stock LS1, but that would be better suited for the kill section. Needless to say, the LS1 prevailed everytime by 3rd gear.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

OBDII started in 96, or were you just refering to the different computers in the 98 f-bodys compared to the 99+s
    no i understand ..but i was referring to the fact that all ls1s are obdIIs where as lt1s you limit yourself on available years

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

I had a 94 LT1 and the opti-crap lasted 100k miles then crapped. I replaced it and it was time to sell b/c of college. The current owner has replaced the opti THREE more times! They just keep crapping out on him. I thought it was a big step up from a 3rd gen but I've done my research and I know the LS1 is just so much better. I cant even debate on it because the answer is already known - LS1. You have better ignition and motor.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    What about a 96-97 SS .. if you could get it for under $10k ,, would it be worth it ??
    they're quicker than a regular lt1. guys will run it the higher 13's with them around 102-ish mph. but if you're gonna mod there's no point in spending the extra cash for the ss or ws6 monicre. unless that's just what you want.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Modding a <10K LS1 car versus modding a >35k new Camaro is an entirely different animal....at least to me. LS1 powered cars have a big aftermarket for parts and you'll still have money to actually purchase them! LT1 stuff is certainly available too, but I still have to give the nod to the LS1 models.
    +1 sss

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Zinergy - Man, you could really Fk up a wet dream, cant'cha?!?!?! Never leaving a comment about what the OP wants info on, and it seems that alot of threads P has locked recently, you've been involved in... so what's up?!

OP - Like has been said about the LT1 ignition system (opti), its junk and expensive to replace. Not sure what it's even good up till, but I can tell you it's not much past 6k, possibly around 6500. I know those engines can run damn good with say, a CC306 cam. Then again, you've got quite a few cams out here for the LS1 as well. And I'll follow right along with what 10spoke said, for every bolt on you do (85% anyways) to both engines, the LS will always come out on top. You've got other specifics like the intake, intake/exhaust head port designs, etc. but I'm not familiar at all with either of the 2.

If I were stuck with say, $5k and had to find one or the other, I'd definately hold out on a used LS1. You'll be able to find a nice one with not too many miles on it, that hasn't been rode very hard, eventually. Then again you can find a pretty nice LT1 car with under 100k miles for right now, around $5k as well. If you're trying to decide on what to build for the 1/4 or 1/8 mile track, LS1 hands down. If it's a DD you're trying to set certain goals for, an LT1 will do the job. Atleast, compared to your GT it will
    I'm sorry, i just feel the need to post when people say shit that isnt true, doesnt make sense or is a dumb comparison. Like comparing a modded used car to a stock new car. People need to remember that the ws6 and ss were the same price as the 2010 camaro when they were new. on the first page i said sorry for the thread jack and tried to give the op some info on what he asked.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I'm sorry, i just feel the need to post when people say shit that isnt true, doesnt make sense or is a dumb comparison. Like comparing a modded used car to a stock new car. People need to remember that the ws6 and ss were the same price as the 2010 camaro when they were new. on the first page i said sorry for the thread jack and tried to give the op some info on what he asked.
    I love giving you a hard time

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I take exception to that. I'm trying to educate the OP in WHY I prefer the LS1 car - a model that I have owned for over four years. I bought my '99 Z28 M6 for $6500 with 66K on the clock. I have added some performance to the car (not all of it is in my signature), replaced some wore out stuff, had it re-painted, and I have still not exceeded $11K. Now it has 105K, and two friends have new 2010 SS's and neither one can leave me in acceleration. Off the line, I get the advantage and keep it. My nephew has a '97 TA and he is constantly having to dump money into his LT1. Granted, that's only one car, but it has the common problems with the LT1 platform - mainly the cooling system.

I feel it's important to share with the OP that either LT1/LS1 platform will have the added bonus of YOU getting to tweak it. I'm playing the odds here that the OP is like most of us and doesn't have cash falling out of their pockets. I have good friends who have been in the retail market for f-bodies and I can tell anyone, without a doubt, that the LS1 engine gets the higher level of attention. LS1's are dropped into kit cars and rods all the time, but you don't hear about that with LT1's as often. Reverse-flow cooling is a good theory, but the GM attempt with the LT1 was problematic. The opti-spark ignition is obviously not superior to eight coil packs each within a foot of a spark plug (LS1). To me, the LS6 is the epitome of a stock GM engine in an f-body and it is a tweaked LS1 with very few significant changes.

OP - my advice is wait until you can buy a good LS1 f-body and start saving for some upgrades. I know that a stalled A4 can do wonders for the auto-lovers, but my experience is with the six-speed. What I can tell you is that a LS1 with lt headers, gutted cats, h&c work, ls6 intake, free mods, a good tune, sfc, panhard, adjustable shocks, torque arm, and good bushings will give a brand new "stock" SS more than in can handle in a straight line, and that can be done for less than $12K. Find me a 3460 pound 2010 SS (there ain't one unless somebody stripped the car). 430-ish hp or not, the new SS is heavy. Road course performance - I cannot confirm or deny which one is better. What I'm trying to elaborate on is how the older car can be the better performer for a whole lot less money. In truth, I prefer the looks of the two previous generation Camaros over the new one, but for the best powerplant - go LS1.

Once again, I love Fords as well. Here are two I have owned. The T-bird was my favorite and I was in the process of building a PI head 4.6 w/ Allen SC when it was hit and totalled. That was what it was going to take to be equal to most f-bodies. Yeah, they squeak, but GM power is impressive.

Last edited by jad628; 04-26-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

I never said comparing the lt1 to ls1 was a bad comparison because thats exactly what the op wants to know. Just no reason to bring the new camaro into this. Yes it is heavy but there is no disputing the fact that in the right hands it is faster in everyway. No bone stock ls1 car ever ran a 12.5 or 12.6.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information