Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ls1 or ls6 ss

This is a discussion on ls1 or ls6 ss within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 01SOMSS! i might have an ls6 because I've beat Camed cars( afew H/C) and have vids to ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 01SOMSS! View Post
    i might have an ls6 because I've beat Camed cars( afew H/C) and have vids to back it up.everyone is amazed on how strong my car runs. all i have is full exhaust,tb,ls6 mani.373's and Dr's.
    You mean you might have spent a few thousand on a motor swap and forgotten about it?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_five0 View Post
    the 2000-2002 Camaros came with LS6 intake manifolds. The blocks are the exact same between an LS1 and LS6. The only thing that makes an LS6 is intake, heads, and cam.
    Sorry but your as wrong as two boys in the wood fucking

Google can be your friend and search can be your friend but the LS6 makes more power. I have all the info but not accessible at the moment. Here is what I know off hand....

A: LS6 Block is stronger
    B: LS6 Block is slightly different color (Darker in color)
    C: #12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off)
    D: LS6 block has 87% more ventilation versus an LS1 block between the rod/crank webbing resulting in decreased crankcase pressure and increased piston ring sealing.
    E: 15% of 2001's got the LS6 block, 25% of 2002 got the LS6 block
    F: LS6 block is made with different aluminum, which is why the color difference. Increases strength and weights less then LS1
    G: Power increase over LS1 is said to be between 5 - 15 rwhp depending on who you talk to.
    H: LS6 block has approximately 500 more usable RPM's due to the ventilation.
    I: LS6 uses a different casting process then the LS1 resulting in tighter tolerances all around.
    J: LS6 has better oil flow at higher RPM's resulting in less internal wear.

Thats all I can remember off hand. YOU WANT THE LS6 if you can find it, far superior block. I was lucky enough to find out I had one when I pulled the Heads off to do my H/C.

Part number for LS6 intake off of F-Body is #12561184
    Part number for LS6 intake off of Z06 is #12573572

With discussions, the power doesn't really matter, probably no more, maybe a little.......But it is a better block, nobody argues that.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Actually it can be argued. You got the windage/ventilation part right, all the rest is bs. The LS1 block is actually stronger and preferred for engine builds. Neither makes more horse power.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Actually it can be argued. You got the windage/ventilation part right, all the rest is bs. The LS1 block is actually stronger and preferred for engine builds. Neither makes more horse power.
    NO!! The LS1 block is not stronger......Ask any engine builder. The LS1 block is good for about 700 rwhp, the LS6 has went TT and has went over 900 rwhp. Everything I posted can be ARGUED, but not the toughness! Don't lead young guys/gals away unless you have knowledge to back it up which by your post....YOU DON'T

RED (M6)
    2001 Camaro SS 13.39@106

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Sorry but your as wrong as two boys in the wood fucking

Google can be your friend and search can be your friend but the LS6 makes more power. I have all the info but not accessible at the moment. Here is what I know off hand....

A: LS6 Block is stronger
    B: LS6 Block is slightly different color (Darker in color)
    C: #12561168 part number for the LS6 block found behind the Driver side head ( will need a mirror and some good angles to see, easiest when the head is off)
    D: LS6 block has 87% more ventilation versus an LS1 block between the rod/crank webbing resulting in decreased crankcase pressure and increased piston ring sealing.
    E: 15% of 2001's got the LS6 block, 25% of 2002 got the LS6 block
    F: LS6 block is made with different aluminum, which is why the color difference. Increases strength and weights less then LS1
    G: Power increase over LS1 is said to be between 5 - 15 rwhp depending on who you talk to.
    H: LS6 block has approximately 500 more usable RPM's due to the ventilation.
    I: LS6 uses a different casting process then the LS1 resulting in tighter tolerances all around.
    J: LS6 has better oil flow at higher RPM's resulting in less internal wear.

Thats all I can remember off hand. YOU WANT THE LS6 if you can find it, far superior block. I was lucky enough to find out I had one when I pulled the Heads off to do my H/C.

Part number for LS6 intake off of F-Body is #12561184
    Part number for LS6 intake off of Z06 is #12573572

With discussions, the power doesn't really matter, probably no more, maybe a little.......But it is a better block, nobody argues that.
    I noticed I have the LS6 intake, what are the odds the block is an LS6? Did GM mix match or can I assume I have an LS6 block as well? I will end up looking someday.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor Avionics View Post
    I noticed I have the LS6 intake, what are the odds the block is an LS6? Did GM mix match or can I assume I have an LS6 block as well? I will end up looking someday.
    You have about a 15% chance being a 01. All 01/02's have the LS6 intake.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

NO!! The LS1 block is not stronger......Ask any engine builder. The LS1 block is good for about 700 rwhp, the LS6 has went TT and has went over 900 rwhp. Everything I posted can be ARGUED, but not the toughness! Don't lead young guys/gals away unless you have knowledge to back it up which by your post....YOU DON'T
    Get upset if you want to but you haven't backed up anything either. I've read this on LS1Tech several times by people much more knowledgable than you or your engine builder. Take a valium and relax.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Get upset if you want to but you haven't backed up anything either. I've read this on LS1Tech several times by people much more knowledgable than you or your engine builder. Take a valium and relax.

Just re read what you just wrote

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Here, read this. That's one, it happens to be a sticky over on LS1 Tech. I'll find more later.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Lmao now.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_five0 View Post
    the 2000-2002 Camaros came with LS6 intake manifolds. The blocks are the exact same between an LS1 and LS6. The only thing that makes an LS6 is intake, heads, and cam.
    Your statement is incorrect. The 2000 models still came with the LS1 intake. The LS6 intake didn't start appearing on fbodies until 2001 and 2002.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Your statement is incorrect. The 2000 models still came with the LS1 intake. The LS6 intake didn't start appearing on fbodies until 2001 and 2002.
    He fixed it in his next post

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Here, read this. That's one, it happens to be a sticky over on LS1 Tech. I'll find more later.
    If I had a scanner, I would show you a book made by GM (engineers/retired) that I have that has sold millions which I got all of my info. You can't beat facts, your statement before proves how ignorant you are on the subject. Love how you some how know how much I know, or my engine builder. Stop while your behind.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Only thing I really don't believe myself and have stated this before in other threads is the power increase. Better ring sealing would theoreticlly (spell??) add power but I wouldn't think more then 1hp or something that doesn't matter. I just took it straight from the book...... And one last point, before you try telling people what they know and how you know all of this info, don't state you read it off the internet on a board That really doesn't help a arguement. I want to see what proof you have that proves a LS1 block is stronger then a LS6 block, why would GM put the cart before the horse.......

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If I had a scanner, I would show you a book made by GM (engineers/retired) that I have that has sold millions which I got all of my info. You can't beat facts, your statement before proves how ignorant you are on the subject. Love how you some how know how much I know, or my engine builder. Stop while your behind.
    The engine builders on Tech build the fastest ones in the country. My tuner right now has one of his cars on one of LS1Techs top ten lists. Who is your engine builder again?

I'm not going to argue this as it's exactly like arguing with the ones who swear a WS6 is faster than a non WS6. (only they typically don't have 3000+ post counts) This is a non issue. There will be no difference between the two on a head/cam car. If you're gonna build a boosted engine you're gonna most likely use a 6.0 iron block.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

So LS1tech.... a internet board where you probably won't meet anyone face to face to view the cars they have are claiming to own...put information that isn't right. My info is from GM, they would know what THEY build better then any engine builder out there. My mechanic has built 9 sec/10 sec cars, which while not the fastest in the world, will eat most cars alive on the street. And I believe Lingenfelter used a LS6 block with their TT that runs 9.32 @ 156 mph and is Cal smog ready. Let me look for the link, it owns one of the fastest 0-60 mph ever with 1.9 sec. That will beat any production super car and alot of 1 liter bikes.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Found it, I was a little wrong on the engine spec, its a 427. Not bad considering I haven't seen the video in a few years. SO.... my arguement on the LS6 part of that video is incorrect and I apologize. And no one will argue about a 6.0 being the toughest bad boy. Thats because it is designed to exact specs as the LS1 except cast iron. They had to beef up the aluminum blocks to handle power, so the 6.0 is pretty much the strongest cast iron block GM has ever made.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

The LS6 was designed by Dave Hill "The Vette Chief" at GM with the help of many. The LS1/LS6 share the same rods which are Powered-metal, cracked-cap rods which use a pressed in piston pin. The LS1/LS6 use the same 3.622 inch crank which has rolled fillets, and is cast. The crank has holes drilled through it to improve bay to bay breathing and reduce rotating weight. There is a difference in the material used for the pistons. They are both lightweight, flat top eutectic cast aluminum. The LS1 pistons where made by Mahle using a aluminum/silicon alloy called M124. LS6 pistons are made of M142 which has higher concentration of copper and nickel. M142's are stonger and exhibits reduced expansion at high temperatures........

So with that being said, the LS6/LS1 share everything but the pistons/block/heads/cam. The LS6 is a far superior block to the LS1. Are they both crazy fast, and extremely advanced small block.......YES!!! Does having a LS6 block in your car mean you can take every LS1 in a race......NO!!! Does it make the car rarer (spell?) and a little bit better....YES!!! I have proved I have knowledge on the subject. Short of buying a scanner and scanning my first post explaining the LS6 benefits, its all internet board words. Belief them or not, its up to you.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

The engine builders on Tech build the fastest ones in the country. My tuner right now has one of his cars on one of LS1Techs top ten lists. Who is your engine builder again?

I'm not going to argue this as it's exactly like arguing with the ones who swear a WS6 is faster than a non WS6. (only they typically don't have 3000+ post counts) This is a non issue. There will be no difference between the two on a head/cam car. If you're gonna build a boosted engine you're gonna most likely use a 6.0 iron block.
    WS6 faster then a Trans Am.......not a chance. You should know better then that, you have over 4000 posts ........... Just playing with you, it was too inviting. Only new people that haven't had the benefit of gaining knowledge think that..... But a WS6 looks far superior IMHO

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

WS6 faster then a Trans Am.......not a chance. You should know better then that, you have over 4000 posts ........... Just playing with you, it was too inviting. Only new people that haven't had the benefit of gaining knowledge think that..... But a WS6 looks far superior IMHO
    You had me goin for a second there...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information