Thread: LS?? Intake

The Rookie

LS?? Intake

I heard a rumor that some 02 camaros got the ls6 intake, is this true?? If so, how can I determine if mine is the LS1 or LS6?

Silver
    At least its paid for.

All 01-02 Z28 and SS have the LS6 intake as well as all TransAm and WS6 cars too.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

You got it so you doon't have nothing to worry about.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

You have one...but you can tell because there's no EGR. I've heard that some have the ls6 block also...not many though.

Red
    1998 z28 a4

only my 3rd post so forgive my ignorance...but if the 01,02 ls1's have the ls6 intkake, then shouldnt they be making about 20 more hp than the 98-00's? ive read that the ls6 intake for the 98-00's will add about 20hp.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by NxLS1496
    only my 3rd post so forgive my ignorance...but if the 01,02 ls1's have the ls6 intkake, then shouldnt they be making about 20 more hp than the 98-00's? ive read that the ls6 intake for the 98-00's will add about 20hp.
    They usually do dyno a little higher than a 98-00...but there is also other changes to the motor through the years. 98 had bigger injectors and a more aggressive cam, different PCM...in 99-00 I think they went to smaller injectors but kept the bigger cam and had the ls1 intake manifold...00-02 also has better flowing exhaust manifolds. In 01-02 they went to a smaller cam but had a lot better manifold(ls6)...some 02's have the ls6 block. There's more changes but I don't remember them all right now...I think 98 had a quicker TB blade.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    You have one...but you can tell because there's no EGR. I've heard that some have the ls6 block also...not many though.
    I would agree, but they make ls6 manifolds with egr now. The only real way to tell the difference is by looking at the bottom. The ls6 will have a flat bottom.

But you dont have anything to worry about it. Your car came with it stock.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by ~redlinels1~
    I would agree, but they make ls6 manifolds with egr now. The only real way to tell the difference is by looking at the bottom. The ls6 will have a flat bottom.

But you dont have anything to worry about it. Your car came with it stock.
    Yea I know..they've made them for awhile. I'm in the process of getting a slp one...hopefully. The manifold is also a little taller...about a inch I was told.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Ive never heard that it was taller, but I dunno. I suppose it would only be helpful if you knew the exact demensions or had them side by side. And in that case, just turn them over and compare the bottoms.

Why dont you try to find a used ls6 intake? They usually go pretty cheap.

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

I've heard that swapping the ls6 intake onto a 98-00 ls1 does'nt really make a noticable difference without heads and cam swaps also. My friend has one on his 99 SS and said he never really noticed a seat of the pants difference. But then again what do I know, I have 2 LT1's.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GOODZ/BADZ
    I've heard that swapping the ls6 intake onto a 98-00 ls1 does'nt really make a noticable difference without heads and cam swaps also. My friend has one on his 99 SS and said he never really noticed a seat of the pants difference. But then again what do I know, I have 2 LT1's.
    Thats the entire point. Once you start to modify the car, even with just bolt-ons and a cam, the ls1 intake becomes a restriction. There really shouldnt be a reason not to get an ls6 intake. It flows very well, is very strong, and will only cost $300 used.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by ~redlinels1~
    Thats the entire point. Once you start to modify the car, even with just bolt-ons and a cam, the ls1 intake becomes a restriction. There really shouldnt be a reason not to get an ls6 intake. It flows very well, is very strong, and will only cost $300 used.
    As a preference, I would go for an aftermarket intake manifold. FAST makes a pretty badass one w/ a 98mm TBody that is specially made for forced induction. And there are plenty others...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    As a preference, I would go for an aftermarket intake manifold. FAST makes a pretty badass one w/ a 98mm TBody that is specially made for forced induction. And there are plenty others...
    True true, but a lot of people wont need something that extreme for what they want. A lot of guys just want around 500-600rwhp and a factory ls6 intake will be fine. And mind you...there have been a few guys that have ran 9s@140+ on the factory ls6 intake. But like you said, a lot of it is preferance and FAST makes a damn good intake.

Personally, I think it would be more important to have a FAST setup on a N/A setup. But thats just me.

Thread Information