Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

lighten up an F-body?

This is a discussion on lighten up an F-body? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ls1 non vert f bodies are 3300 without driver and sti's weight varies to the body style, the newer ones ...

Blue Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS

ls1 non vert f bodies are 3300 without driver and sti's weight varies to the body style, the newer ones are about 3300 as well

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by dfillmore827 View Post
    ls1 non vert f bodies are 3300 without driver and sti's weight varies to the body style, the newer ones are about 3300 as well
    thats what i said!!!! lol...thought most were rated close to 3400 though..fobodys that is 3300 and change or a lil over 34.....no matter close enough right?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I removed my owners manual after reading this thread. I got shit loads of power back now.

Black
    02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    wtf is this guy talking about? 4200lb fbody??? 3700 lb sti??? 1700lb lotus?? the lotus is 1900 and change last i looked ..fbodys are rated around 3400...last i knew the sti was around 3300 ....stop doing drugs
    yeah, drugs are bad Mmkay.
    Someone told me 4th gens weighed a little less than turd gens, I shouldn't have beleived him (one of my mustang buddies) but I did. SO yeah,
    let me have it!
    I would still like to camber out my front wheels, get drag radials, and lighten up the front end though.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Fbody4ever View Post
    yeah, drugs are bad Mmkay.
    Someone told me 4th gens weighed a little less than turd gens, I shouldn't have beleived him (one of my mustang buddies) but I did. SO yeah,
    let me have it!
    I would still like to camber out my front wheels, get drag radials, and lighten up the front end though.
    haha nice....dont think 3rd gens weigh 4000 either though man.......my V6 87 bird was like 3200....i cant imagine the v8 weighing more than 3400

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    haha nice....dont think 3rd gens weigh 4000 either though man.......my V6 87 bird was like 3200....i cant imagine the v8 weighing more than 3400
    They do,,,,my 88 Iroc L98 TPI (non T-top) weighed exactly 3440 lbs. with only 1/2 tank of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by dfillmore827 View Post
    They are not 3300 lbs. without driver,,,unless it's a strip down model,,,and they are few and far between.

Fact is these 4th gens weigh quite a bit more. I think people compare to others without actually putting their own car on a scale, and I think thats where all these skewed numbers come from.

We took a day and went to the scale with a couple of buddies of mine that both have 4th gens,,,,and surprisingly one of the T-top cars came in heavier than both of my convertables. It was 37xx,,,,can't remember the exact number now, but it was just over 3,700 lbs. and it had us scratching our heads. Another T-top car was within 20 lbs. of the heaviest vert I have.

My 02 SS vert is 3,620 lbs. with 1/2 tank of gas. My 97 Z28 vert was 3,540 lbs. with 1/2 tank of gas... I have yet to actually see one on a scale that comes in at a svelt 3,300 lbs.....a stripped model without power accessories maybe,,,but 99% of these cars are loaded with most everything and all I have seen always tip the scales at least 3,500 lbs. give or take 20 lbs.

Black
    1999 Trans Am Ws6/M6

...I dont get how everybody knows exactly how much their cars weigh.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1_385hp_T/A View Post
    ...I dont get how everybody knows exactly how much their cars weigh.
    They are called scales. They are at truck stops, garbage dump sites, performance shops.

white
    2000 Z28

the dyno i took my car to weighed the car too

Blue Metallic
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

The A/C units worth 100lbs. if you can live without it. A lot easier here in Seattle than most parts of the country, but I didn't remove mine, I just added HP instead.

Black
    02 Z28

More horsepower is key, but I'm looking to hang 90* turns at like 100MPH.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I would suggest installing larger balls. Surgically if necessary, I won't even ask why you would need to do a 90 degree turn at 100.
    "Dammit, I hate it when I forget my coupons at home when I'm on my way to Safeway, we're gonna have to turn around and head back to the Batcave, hold on!"

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    These suggestions are very funny,,,,I especially like the jogging and helium wise cracks

On a more serious note,,,I was looking at different ways to lighten the car without seeing that things are missing,,,,like seats and such,,,lol. I gotta have my back seat to haul the family so it's not an option for me.
    And taking the spare out seems counter productive,,,since it's adding weight exactly where it's needed,,,over the right rear. Removing weight needs to happen over the nose more than anything,,,,not so much in the back of the car...

I was thinking along the lines of a tubular K-member,,,takes about 65 lbs. off the front. Can even take that as far as tubular control arms as well for a few more lbs.

Anyone ever pay attention to the batteries they buy??? Different brand batteries weigh significantly different,,,as much as 6-8 lbs. among different brands. I went through that years ago when factory stock racing..You get some funny looks in the parts stores carrying a scale with you to weigh batteries.....some people even went as far as to buy tiny batteries cutting 20 lbs. Then taking the stock large battery and gutting it,,,to cover the tiny battery and giving the appearance of running a stock size battery,,,,very sneaky stuff....you can do the same with radio's, heaters, etc...but you loose some driving comfort in the process...It looks like it works and appears stock,,,but it doesn't have any guts...

Of course removing all the smog equipment lightens the car. As well as removing all the A/C.

Removing the exhaust manifolds in favor of steel tube headers also lightens the car....also keep in mind that stainless headers weigh more than mild steel....

Same goes for exhaust,,,stainless exhaust weighs more than mild steel...

No aftermarket radio junk...

Removing the bumper bracing is another sneaky one that isn't noticable on the outside.

Remove the airbags too,,,,I have mine disconnected, just haven't went as far to remove them,,,,,yet

Remove the ABS too,,,takes a few lbs. off and cleans up the engine bay at the same time. I've been keeping this one in my back pocket too...

Remove any bolt that is accessable,,,to remove the large steel flat washers,,,,replace with aluminum flat washers,,,going over the entire car like this actually shaves a few more lbs....I don't recommend suspension components though..

Ever weigh you tires??? Some manufactures advertise weights...and your wheels as well,,,,rotors also fall into this catagory. People like to add larger wheels and tires,,,but it's adding more weight to the car....
    Anytime you have unsprung weight to remove,,,it not only lightens the car,,,but also lightens rotational mass,,,,engine doesn't have to work as hard to get things moving,,,much like the aluminum flywheel idea that was already mentioned,,,it's like adding HP so to speak...

You can revert back to the old school way of doing it and swiss cheese any brackets and such...Stay away from adding larger sway bars or any unnecessary support bracing...

Alot is obvious,,,,some are sneaky...I have some other ideas I've picked up over the years but I can't let them all loose,,,,some of those F.A.S.T. guys might be listening,,,,,,,,,,,,
    How did you disconnect your airbags? I am sure mine being from 98 aren't gonna work anymore, but what did you do to disconnect? Thanks!

red
    99 camaro ss

think about putting nitrogen into your tires? i think its quite a difference, and the rear window is very heavy. ive seen fiberglass fastback pieces in the past but cannot for the life of me remember where. has anyone ever seen those?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by red99camaross View Post
    think about putting nitrogen into your tires? i think its quite a difference, and the rear window is very heavy. ive seen fiberglass fastback pieces in the past but cannot for the life of me remember where. has anyone ever seen those?
    Ive never seen a fiberglass fastback piece, but I have seen targa style ones, but they make our car look like a big Del Sol. If i see someone with one of those, I will go home and pray for them to see the light.

Theres a popular website, i think they are a sponsor on here and that sells t-top stuff. I think they had them, since it involves rear glass.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Percy's Speedglass is supposed to save about 70 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    How did you disconnect your airbags? I am sure mine being from 98 aren't gonna work anymore, but what did you do to disconnect? Thanks!
    I crawled under the dash on both sides and disconnected the big fat yellow wire on each airbag,,,can't miss it.
    I disconnected the battery before hand as an extra precaution,,,didn't want anything unexpected happen,,,

Edit:
    I forgot to add,,,,doing this will cause the airbag light to stay on,,,,it doesn't bother me, I just ignore it.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-09-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

While you were under the dash, you could have just removed the light bulb!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information