denn454

light blue 99 z28

today i went and looked at a pretty nice looking 99 z28. for the most part its a really nice car, all the right options, solid roof no traction controll, a4 unfortunatly.

i had few questions about the car. first off was the color. its a very light and very bright blue, didn't think it was a factory color but the inner fenders and fire wall are all painted, i really think its an origional color. or someone went through a ton of work to paint this car. was this a rare factory color?

also one of the few things that bothers me about the car is the lack of a tv cable from the tranny to the throttle body (next the the throttle cable) it shifted great, 2nd gear was a litte soft with moderate or light throttle but under full throttle gave a good solid shift. any thoughts on that?

otherwise it was a pretty nice car, 102k miles but it looked like it had half that. it has the RS body trim, someone put a billet grill on (i personally like it). lightly tinted windows. 3" exhaust that really sounds good, not loud just good. pretty much most everything i'd want to do.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

The only blue they had was NBM(navy blue metallic)...it's a very dark blue. There's no tv cable becuase the tranny is a 4l60-e, the e stands for electronic It's pretty much a 700r4 that is shifted by the pcm. That's why on handheld programmers you can adjust shifts points and firmness.

How much are they asking for the car? I'm cautious of repainted cars...usually means they were wrecked pretty bad. Have your local chevy dealer check the records they have on it...also run a car fax. Welcome to the board

Actually, there was a lighter blue color offered on the 1999 Camaro and Firebirds. And yes, the color is quite rare.

On the Camaro, it was called Bright Blue Metallic.
    On the Firebird, the color was called Medium Blue Metallic.

I've seen only a couple of these. On both cars, the color is quite striking.
    Vance Chula
    1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
    2010 Camaro 2LT RS
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/vchula

denn454
    i've tried to post a link a few different ways but it stops me and ereases all i had written so i'm going to skip the link.

its a very very light and bright blue, looks factory, i can't find any other color anywhere else. and it also appears to be very straight. everything lines up right, i can't see any twisting or anything what so ever on the under side of the car that would indicate an accident. and it has a clean carfax.

the only real problems i have with the car (aside from the previous owners bad taste) are a worn out idler pulley. and the tranny fluid has a hint of black in it and i can just barely smell a little burnt smell in it. its still very red and its a very light burnt smell. i think a tranny flush and some lucus will probably save it for another 10-15,000 miles. i still think they can knock a little money off for that.

as far as bad taste, that leaves me a lot of work. there are several stickers on the windows, all stereo related so i don't think it was thought of as a high performance car. it has some stupid lights where the fog light and traction controll switches would be (good place for a radiator fan switch right?) and it has a pretty tacky looking shifter handle, and i wouldn't object to having a factory radio back in it.

does anyone have any ideas on the production numbers on that color or where i could find that info? its got to be a fairly rare car with its color, and lack of options. (solid roof, no crusise, no traction controll)

Also, at 70 mph it was tacking 2k. what kind of gears would give that? its an a4.

Can't help with the procuction numbers, but I can tell you that one of the moderators here has a TransAm that color:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/member.php?u=192

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by VChula
    Actually, there was a lighter blue color offered on the 1999 Camaro and Firebirds. And yes, the color is quite rare.

On the Camaro, it was called Bright Blue Metallic.
    On the Firebird, the color was called Medium Blue Metallic.

I've seen only a couple of these. On both cars, the color is quite striking.
    Hmm..cool, learn something new everyday. How light of a blue is it...like baby blue?

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    Hmm..cool, learn something new everyday. How light of a blue is it...like baby blue?
    Check the link in my post (directly above your last one) for the color sample

denn454
    thats the blue. I don't know what to think about it honestly. i dont' knwo if i love it or hate it. it does look better in person than in pictures. it appears to be darker than any of the pictures i have seen show.

I did a search and found in 99 they made 1117 in that color. 43% of all camaros were v8's so its fair to say its one of about 500 in that color. then again each of the 1117 could have been an ls1 car so thats not necessarly a true statement.

The 2 cars that I have personally seen in that color were V6 Camaro's.

denn454
    on more question i forgot to ask (maybe i did ask but forgot about it...)

Going down the highway at 70 it was tacking right at 2 grand, thats the only time i really looked at the rpm. what kind of gears does that sound like 3.73?
    It didn't pull extremely hard like it had low gears and really didn't have a big traction problem, although i did only get on it once from a stop and i petteled it a little to keep the sales guy with me happy. it also did have some pretty good tires so i'm sure that helped also. its definatly not one of the great running ones, but its not the slowest either.

05 Wrangler

Look in the door for the rpo code for gears...code is GU8 for 3.23's and GU2 for 2.73's

Black
    99 SS

GU5 is for the 3.23's man, lol

GU6=3.42's

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    GU5 is for the 3.23's man, lol

GU6=3.42's
    yea that too

Red
    1999 TA | 2001 SW Z06

Medium Blue Metallic is the best! Unfortunately they didn't offer it in WS6 or SS, but a rare color none the less. I beleive the production number is somewhere around 200 or so. It was only offered in 99. There are Vettes that color also. I think for Chevy it was Nassau Blue also.

Red
    1999 TA | 2001 SW Z06

Oh yeah, I'm looking for a TA of that color, but M6. All the ones I have found are A4. The ones that I have found that are M6 have been converted so I'm not sure how many are M6, but its very rare to find one.

denn454
    the nassaua blue is darker, but hands down one of my favorite gm colors. I have a catalog for a 98 vette and i know it was avaliable then, i wish i had one for 99. but i don't think the vette has a blue quite that light, but i could very possibly be wrong.

200 is probably pretty believable if not lower since it has such a lack of options.

from my searching in 99 something like 70% of all camaros were a4's, i would assume that number is pretty close to the ta's of the same year.

I think i hit my ten posts so i hope this link works http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Thread Information