2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Less cars on the plan + higher rate?

OK so on our insurance was my mom as the primary on her durango, and me as the primary on my camaro.

Well I sold the camaro last month, but I have to stay insured because I'm borrowing a car for the time being.

So we dropped the camaro, since I dont have it anymore, thats still hard to say. But since I am a more liable driver, I am automatically the primary on the durango now....even though I live 100 miles from the damn thing.

With me as the primary, our total each month is higher than it was before with her on the durango, and me on the camaro....how messed up is that?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

No multi car discount anymore is probably the reason for the increase in premiums.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

That sucks.

2011 Prius

It's cheaper for me to insure two cars...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

That was supposed to be = not +.....i changed it, and it said = when it posted, but its + now.....whatever.

I didnt even think about that discount....its with statefarm, I dont know much about them.

Black
    98 Z28

Also depends on what car you drive. I went from driving a V6 Camaro to a V8 and my insurance went down because of safety features.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Yepp you lost the multi car discount.. You could always call them and ask them hey whats up with my rates and shop around for a dfferent company..
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    That was supposed to be = not +.....i changed it, and it said = when it posted, but its + now.....whatever.

I didnt even think about that discount....its with statefarm, I dont know much about them.
    All companies have a multi car discount, they think of it like this with two cars the liability is split and therefore less.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post

Yeah I have State Farm too. They have a multi car discount as well as if you were accident free for a year....

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    All companies have a multi car discount, they think of it like this with two cars the liability is split and therefore less.
    Another thing about insurance is I have Farmers and they put my mother as the primary driver on the Camaro and me as the driver of her Grand Am.
    most insurance companies don't let you assign drivers to a specific car anymore. If I was the driver of my Camaro my monthly policy would be around $124 vs. $64.00 with my mom as the driver. But then again we have 3 cars so I guess we get the multi car discount. But that does suck you lost the Maro. I totaled my 99 TA in december and I was more heartbroken over my car than I was about being ok.

BLACK
    1999 camaro ss

you might wanna ask to see if they can re-quote you as already said or tell them your shopping around and that should get them to look over it and see what they can do.most companies have the new policy where drivers arent rated on just 1 car they are now equally dispersed. but one thing i know with Nationwide is that credit is also a big factor on your premium. bad credit=high rate and then of course your driving history and any tickets or accidents in the past 3 years, your age so on and so on. with Nationwide the muilticar discount is about 5% and home/car discount is 10%, not sure with state farm. be sure to tell them you only occasionally drive the car as it might result in a decrease in premium as well since you stated you are away from the vehicle.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    Another thing about insurance is I have Farmers and they put my mother as the primary driver on the Camaro and me as the driver of her Grand Am.
    most insurance companies don't let you assign drivers to a specific car anymore. If I was the driver of my Camaro my monthly policy would be around $124 vs. $64.00 with my mom as the driver. But then again we have 3 cars so I guess we get the multi car discount. But that does suck you lost the Maro. I totaled my 99 TA in december and I was more heartbroken over my car than I was about being ok.
    Well she said they put me as "Primary" and her as "Secondary". I remember back in 05-06, i didn't have a car, and she put me on hers as a limited driver cuz i did use it occasionally.

But now, I dont even live in the same county, wtf!!! The car I drive is covered by my grandads insurance at a whopping $14 a month. but I am not covered by his, im still covered by my moms, sadly I don't even have an insurance card from either.

Yeah I wrecked it last july, wasnt totalled, but no one would fix it, so I sold it to a guy who was gonna use it for donor parts to fix a bunch of others.

But its ok, i pick up my 01 in 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by bgon99ss View Post
    you might wanna ask to see if they can re-quote you as already said or tell them your shopping around and that should get them to look over it and see what they can do.most companies have the new policy where drivers arent rated on just 1 car they are now equally dispersed. but one thing i know with Nationwide is that credit is also a big factor on your premium. bad credit=high rate and then of course your driving history and any tickets or accidents in the past 3 years, your age so on and so on. with Nationwide the muilticar discount is about 5% and home/car discount is 10%, not sure with state farm. be sure to tell them you only occasionally drive the car as it might result in a decrease in premium as well since you stated you are away from the vehicle.
    Well thats the thing, I NEVER drive the car. Ive driven it once in the last 2 years, and thats just so my mom could do some paper work while we went somewhere. As far as credit goes, I have no idea about my moms.

Weve never switched cuz we had us two, our two cars, and our house insurance bundled, but she sold the house and moved in with her boyfriend, so i dunno.

Thread Information