Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Kooks True Duals

Anybody running Kooks true duals on their Camaro? I dont like the quad exhaust tips and am trying to get some ideas about what would look good on a Camaro. I think those tips are more Trans Am oriented. Im thinking maybe even a turndown right off the muffler would look good. Opinions? Thanks

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

A few on here are running it. It's ridiculously expensive. Kook's is a great company though. I have their LT's and ORY. I personally like the no-tips look on a Camaro. I have the dual/dual set-up on mine and like that as well, but as of lately I am leaning towards seeing no tailpipes at all. Makes for a clean look.

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    A few on here are running it. It's ridiculously expensive. Kook's is a great company though. I have their LT's and ORY. I personally like the no-tips look on a Camaro. I have the dual/dual set-up on mine and like that as well, but as of lately I am leaning towards seeing no tailpipes at all. Makes for a clean look.
    I agree, i love the look of no tips coming out the back. I'll probably just put a turndown right on the muffler. I just hope the mufflers sit far enough back under the bumper to where it doesnt look goofy with them turned down. Does anybody have any pictures of how far the mufflers sit under the bumper? I appreciate it

Hidden tailpipe on my wifes car....

I haven't paid close enough attention to the Cooks I've seen on cars, so I'm not sure if the mufflers are short enough to fit a turn down back there and actually hide it behind the bumper. Especially since there is a long thick plastic piece that hangs down and gets in the way, and that plastic is another 3-4" inward behind the bumper, so you have to clear that too if you want to tuck the pipe/muffler/tailpipe up inside there.

You may have to shorten the pipes in front of the mufflers to move them towards the front of the car a few inches (if there is room to do that) just to get a hidden tailpipe in there that you want. Either way it takes some fab work.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-28-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

well, seems like i have a predicament

Give Bassani duals a look. They are priced much cheaper, and would be easier to hide a set of tailpipes since they don't put mufflers right at the back like Kooks does.

01 SS

The "new" Kooks duals have 10" mufflers (were 12) and the tips are adjustable (were welded to mufflers previously) and couldn't be adjusted.....passenger side tip was notorious for not lining up due to poor fit further forward in the system. If you wanted, you could easily do a turn down style and sell the tips.....which are killer, IMO. Overall, the system was a bitch to fit and requires ALOT of patience to fit properly.

Knowing what I know now, I'd prob have a similar system built given the fit issues I had. To be fair, there is ALOT of variables in my build that created some of the fit issues....not entirely Kooks prob. Overall, had to shorten the entire system about 2" to get it the way I wanted.

Previous 12" muffler/tip position....

New 10" and cutting an 1" off....

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

You can't put downturns on the KOOKS system and expect it to not be visible. The mufflers cannot be raised any higher than they were intended to be. There is no room because it will hit on the frame rail. I have built (2) dual systems so I know from experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by xssv View Post
    The "new" Kooks duals have 10" mufflers (were 12) and the tips are adjustable (were welded to mufflers previously) and couldn't be adjusted.....passenger side tip was notorious for not lining up due to poor fit further forward in the system. If you wanted, you could easily do a turn down style and sell the tips.....which are killer, IMO. Overall, the system was a bitch to fit and requires ALOT of patience to fit properly.

Knowing what I know now, I'd prob have a similar system built given the fit issues I had. To be fair, there is ALOT of variables in my build that created some of the fit issues....not entirely Kooks prob. Overall, had to shorten the entire system about 2" to get it the way I wanted.

Previous 12" muffler/tip position....

Click for full size

New 10" and cutting an 1" off....

Click for full size

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

I'm one of those who also prefers the no tip look on the Camaro. Just an FYI, John @ Texas Speed told me they are working on making their true duals stainless. I'll probably be switching over to those when it happens.

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    I'm one of those who also prefers the no tip look on the Camaro. Just an FYI, John @ Texas Speed told me they are working on making their true duals stainless. I'll probably be switching over to those when it happens.
    That's strange. I was talking to a buddy of mine today that has the Texas Speed true duals and i told him that I wanted exhaust like his but in Stainless. And now I just read your post. Do you have any more info about maybe when they will be available? Thanks

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

For looks alone I like my CME. Just for looks though.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by SSilverSS View Post
    That's strange. I was talking to a buddy of mine today that has the Texas Speed true duals and i told him that I wanted exhaust like his but in Stainless. And now I just read your post. Do you have any more info about maybe when they will be available? Thanks
    Not sure, I'll shoot them an email here later. I'll be buying them when they do.

Thread Information