Just venting about wiper blades

Since when did all the parts stores stop carrying a simple refill? I've been all over town trying to find refills for my wifes car. All I could find were cheap Trico refills that don't fit, and there selection is nil. They all just want to sell you an entire arm made of cheap plastic. NO THANKS. No one carrys even the decent Anco refills now, or at least they used to be decent several years ago. So I don't even know if those are made correctly anymore, I can't find any to look at.

I prefer to keep the factory steel wiper arm, and that's what I'm going to do if it kills me. I guess I got into this habbit many years ago since all my classic cars use a polished stainless arm (which stores don't sell) so a simple refill is a necessity for those cars.

So I want to keep the factory GM arms on my wifes car as well. Replacing a perfectly good working arm seems like a waste when a simple refill will do the job. But wouldn't you know it, I get a comment from one of the guys that says "well it's just easier to replace the whole thing rather than put a refill in" Oh here we go, a perfect example of lazy ass society always looking for a short cut. I got the same response a couple years back when I wanted a rebuild kit for an alternator, just simple bearings and brushes, a very easy job for $10-$15. "Oh no one rebuilds those anymore" Oh really??? What the hell are things coming to?? I've been pretty much forced to order most of my stuff online from classic parts suppliers anymore, or go straight to a dealer. It's a wonder these local stores stay in business anymore. I don't even see a decent refill online, the pictures are either too small to see what you're getting, or there aren't any pictures at all.

I guess it's off to the dealer this morning, if they don't have a correct refill, at least I should be able to get a correct steel replacement wiper arm, not this cheap plastic china crap the stores want to sell you.

Okay I'm off my soap box for now

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

With you every step of the way!!!!

When you climb back on, rest assured I'll be listening!

Ha, glad I'm not the only one pulling my hair out

Well after running around all morning and part of the afternoon. I ended up about 40 miles outside of town to try the little mom and pop parts store (not a typical chain store), the only one left around here. To my amazement, they had Anco refills. Why no one else bothers to carry these is beyond me. So I got to actually hold them in my hand to see if they would fit. Woohooo, these are made correctly and snapped right into the factory GM wiper arms as intended.

An added benefit, these were only $7 for a pair,,,,,the Trico's I returned (that didn't fit at all) were $13. Anco all the way. So I bought 3 more sets and stashed them in the back of the car . I figure that's good for another 10 years, by then at the rate things are going you'll be lucky to find them again.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It's good to vent every now and then.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    It's good to vent every now and then.
    I think the older I get the more I crab about things, it's unavoidable Nothing simple anymore. Probably why I find myself just wanting to stay home more and more

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Completely agree with you, FBJ. I had to go to the spring swap meet to find stainless wiper blade holders for our Regal. Someone had slapped on a pair of black ones and they looked like ass. In the event I didn't find them, I was going to give our local NAPA a shot to see if they could still be ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Completely agree with you, FBJ. I had to go to the spring swap meet to find stainless wiper blade holders for our Regal. Someone had slapped on a pair of black ones and they looked like ass. In the event I didn't find them, I was going to give our local NAPA a shot to see if they could still be ordered.
    I've ordered the stainless arms from places like National Parts Depot, Classic Industries, and places like that. It's possible they might interchange with your Regal. Just a thought if you can't find them local.

U-24R is the Anco number for those interested. If you can find them.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I was successful and found a set from a vendor that had a pile of them. With new blades, I think I spent $25.00 total and it was well worth it imo.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I was successful and found a set from a vendor that had a pile of them. With new blades, I think I spent $25.00 total and it was well worth it imo.
    Nice pickup. OEM and aftermarket would be double that amount.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

It seems like it's been this way around here for years now. Especially the newer car you have. I first time I really noticed was when my fiance's little '08 G6 wiper blades needed replacement, the cheapest option was the whole assembly from rain-x costs more than $20 a piece on amazon (the best place I've found to buy them).

LOL, I removed the TA wiper blades, don't use them.

I just apply more Rain-x every car wash to use the blades less, prolonging the life.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

It's those little details that can make things loveable or a total PITA...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I commiserate with you Larry. I gave up trying to find refills years ago. I'm not lazy either as I prefer the steel arms also and changing the blade takes a few minutes at most.

OTOH, the whole assembly can be found anywhere and if you get down to it and are willing to pay more there are better than stock wiper blades available...

Thread Information