LPM
    2000 Z28

Just ordered headers

My headers will be in a few days from now. I just wanted to make sure before I did it. When I remove the egr and air systems off my car during the install, will it cause anything more than an annoying code? It'll be a few weeks before I get it to a dyno and it gets tuned out

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nope. Just be sure to seal of the vacuum source line for the AIR and cap the EGR.

LPM
    2000 Z28

The vacuum source line... Is that the smaller of the tubes running down the driver side of the engine bay? If so it'd be safe to cut that hose off back where it can't be seen then plug it right

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by derekbuckner1 View Post
    The vacuum source line... Is that the smaller of the tubes running down the driver side of the engine bay? If so it'd be safe to cut that hose off back where it can't be seen then plug it right

The vacuum source line comes up from behind the engine on the passenger side to the electric solenoid for the secondary air system. Not sure what line you are referring to on the driver side. Over the fender well you have your hood release cable and the secondary air hose that goes from the air pump to the diverter valve.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The vacuum source line comes up from behind the engine on the passenger side to the electric solenoid for the secondary air system. Not sure what line you are referring to on the driver side. Over the fender well you have your hood release cable and the secondary air hose that goes from the air pump to the diverter valve.
    Thanks man. I never noticed the second cable until yesterday and just assumed it was a vacuum line. Probably the hood release. So no fuse to pull or anything?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Fuse and relay can both be pulled.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i think i have a vacuum leak, i hear an intermitant whistle on mine, from under the hood its hard to tell where its coming from, from inside the car it sounds like its behind the drivers side air vent.

But my AIR solenoid was on the back side of the block on the drivers side, one hose went from the AIR pump to it, then split from it to each manifold, I cant find the damn whistle.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I think he is refering that a vacuum line that goes to the front area of the car. In my car if i follow the small vacuum hose from the back of the intake to the small 3 way valve, one of the vacuum tubes goes inside the firewall(a/c stuff) but there another one that goes to the front of the car. this tube follows the passenger side of the fender to the front of the battery. i think it goes to the AIR pump but I can't remember. I disconnect it and cap the 3 way portion of it. I don't see what else will use this vaccum line going towards the front of the car.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Personally I ripped all that crap out (well I removed it and stored it just in case) when I installed the LT's on the 02.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    I think he is refering that a vacuum line that goes to the front area of the car. In my car if i follow the small vacuum hose from the back of the intake to the small 3 way valve, one of the vacuum tubes goes inside the firewall(a/c stuff) but there another one that goes to the front of the car. this tube follows the passenger side of the fender to the front of the battery. i think it goes to the AIR pump but I can't remember. I disconnect it and cap the 3 way portion of it. I don't see what else will use this vaccum line going towards the front of the car.

See Post #5 -- he was referring to the hood release cable on the driver side.

OP: When you removed the diverter valve on top of the engine, what did you do with the electric solenoid that is mounted in front of it and the vacuum lines?

LPM
    2000 Z28

I am yet to remove them as the headers are still in the mail. Any advice would be great

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

See Post #5 -- he was referring to the hood release cable on the driver side.

OP: When you removed the diverter valve on top of the engine, what did you do with the electric solenoid that is mounted in front of it and the vacuum lines?
    yup i guess i miss it. Do you know the line im talking about jeff? I still can figure out what it goes to? When I was working with the PS cooler I opened teh AIR pump compartment and didnt noticed any vacuum lines going to it. So where does this vacuum line goes to? It goes towards the front of the car on the passenger side to the battery area.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is a vacuum canister aove the splash guard in front of the passenger side front wheel:

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Personally I ripped all that crap out (well I removed it and stored it just in case) when I installed the LT's on the 02.
    I agree it gives it a cleaner look too.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Just pulled all the AIR last night. I had just got my block offs in the mail. Only setback was trying to figure where to run the hood release and where to move my grounds to to clean things up. I'm very pleased. With the harnesses that go into the solenoid and the pump, do you all just leave them and secure them? Or remove them? When I pull the egr the plug into that looks like it's gonna be in plain sight

LS6 Intake, LS6 VCT, E^2 Catch Can, Hooker LTs and ORY, Magnaflow Cat-Back, 3" QTP electric cutout, UMI adj LCA, PHB, 3 pt SFCs, STB, MGW Shifter, SLP lid and bellow, Free-Mods, Tuned by BlueCat

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I left the harness for the AIR pump and AIR solenoid, just tied them off. No EGR on our car, so not familiar with the harness connector for that.

LPM
    2000 Z28

Must be nice. Wish mine didn't have egr

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

There is a vacuum canister aove the splash guard in front of the passenger side front wheel:

Click for full size
    Thanks alot jeff. Do we need this crap? Or can it be deleted?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It probably serves a purpose by providing a vacuum source during sudden throttle transitions that create momentary low vacuum conditions. I would have to read up on it in my service manual to be sure.

Thread Information