Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Just finished lowering, a few ?s HELP please.

I just installed the SLP lowering kit for the car including Bilstein shocks and springs (eibachs).

Upon test drive the car handels amazing however when hitting a pot hole or a bump in the road something bottoms out hard on the right rear.
    I have checked the shock and it is good and tight, I did however notice that the bump stops are totally destoryed and on the right side compeletly absent.

Is this my problem, the bump stop? I jacked up the axle the right side and at full travel I couldnt see it hitting anything. Or is there another common issue that it could be hitting against (I know i need to order an adjustable panhard to center the rear and some LCAs is the lack of them being stronger causing too much travel)? I do have a cat back (magnaflow) however it is good and tight, but I do see a few new scratches where it goes up and over the axle I think that maybe where its hitting but the exhaust is as high as possible.

Thank you!

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Ok just rechecked
    Its def the the rear end hitting into the exhaust at the axle over

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro98Z/28 View Post
    Ok just rechecked
    Its def the the rear end hitting into the exhaust at the axle over
    Is your exhaust actually hitting the rear end axle housing or is it hitting the pan hard bar? On mine, it was hitting the pan hard bar. The clearance is tight in that area even on stock ride height depending on what exhaust set-up you have.

You can try loosening the exhaust band clamps and pull out the exhaust from the Y-pipe to try to create more clearance in this location.

If it is hitting the pan hard bar, UMI sells a relocation kit for the upper pan hard bar support.

Black
    2001 WS6

i just lowered my car. replace your bumpstops with smaller ones. Energy suspension has a set, check around on the forums for the part #. I put them on mine to compensate for the car being lower. they're polyurothane

2003 Pitch Black ZX3

Thumbs up

I just installed the SLP lowering kit for the car including Bilstein shocks and springs (eibachs).

Upon test drive the car handels amazing however when hitting a pot hole or a bump in the road something bottoms out hard on the right rear.
    I have checked the shock and it is good and tight, I did however notice that the bump stops are totally destoryed and on the right side compeletly absent.

Is this my problem, the bump stop? I jacked up the axle the right side and at full travel I couldnt see it hitting anything. Or is there another common issue that it could be hitting against (I know i need to order an adjustable panhard to center the rear and some LCAs is the lack of them being stronger causing too much travel)? I do have a cat back (magnaflow) however it is good and tight, but I do see a few new scratches where it goes up and over the axle I think that maybe where its hitting but the exhaust is as high as possible.

Thank you!
    Yes I agree. you have a good exhaust. I like the cat back. However you have a big problem with the bump stop. I think you should try to fix it first.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thank you!
    Even if it's as high as possible, the pipe still can be shifted either forward, or backwards to center the apex of the exhaust pipe over the axle.

IMO, first replace the bump stops.
    ES pt# 9.9137 is under $20 a pair, and will fit with a slight modification to either the mount holes on the ES BS, or slightly trimming the side of the ES BS.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I just ripped the dryrotted bump stops off and no bottoming out issues.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

bump stops!!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I just ripped the dryrotted bump stops off and no bottoming out issues.
    So ust take those rotted things off?

Silver
    2002 Camaro Z28

I may be having the same issue. I can kind of hear something when i pull into my garage. Just that little bit of bump is all I need to set it off. Even going over speed bumps slowly it will do it. From what I have fount the sound is coming from the right side exhaust hanger. Like its sticky or something. There is a bit of play in the rubber and I thought they were supposed to be snug. Im going to check my pipe to see if anything else is rubbing.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Ok sorry for the long wait but I was rebuilding the whole thing
    Yes the over axle pipe was hitting the rear axle, to fix i found some rubber 3rd gen bump stops installed them and adjusted the exhaust slightly, it has fixed it, however the rear is still a little too bouncy for me. I figured since the shocks and springs were made for eachother this wouldnt be a problem but I do a lot of backroad spirited driving and the rear seems to jump up and down.
    I havent upgraded my panhard and lcas yet, will getting these and obviously adjustables help fix this or should I look into some better rear springs?
    Thanks!

red
    2002 camaro ss

i took off the stock rubber bump stops on my 2002 camaro ss today and cut off about a inch or so, cut level across then bolted them back on, before i cut them they were real close to the axle housing, i got a 1.5 drop eibach, now got more room, hope that works

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

If your budget permits you can go with a set of Tokico Illumina rear SA shocks( about $110 ea.) for a 82-92 camaro or rear Koni SA's for a 82-92 camaro (about $125 ea.). either one of these will give you better spring control.
    Last edited by Blue28; 08-09-2010 at 03:11 PM.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

its the bilsteins causing the problem not the eibachs?!

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

its the bilsteins causing the problem not the eibachs?!
    Well the spring rates on the rear Eibachs don't help keep you off the bumpstops, since there to soft for the decreased suspension(compression) travel. And by the sound of it the Bilsteins shocks just don't have enough rebound to control the springs effectively.

Thread Information