Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Iroc vs Ls1 Camaro???

This is a discussion on Iroc vs Ls1 Camaro??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; the 98 will walk off from the IROC.. easy. I love IROC's, but even the mustang back in those days ...

the 98 will walk off from the IROC.. easy. I love IROC's, but even the mustang back in those days would very slightly pull on the IROC's even though the IROC was a far better car,.. and nicer sound... and much better handling and better all around performance than the rrrustang.. Nevertheless, the rustang would pull a bit more than the late 80's 305 IROC. I hated it!!. I had an 86 Iroc, and I loved it, but I would never in a million years trade it for that damn ford. I know it sux, but the Rustang was a hair faster than the 305 Iroc in 1986 and maybe 1987. I presume the 350 Iroc would beat the Mustang though.. And the LT1 is faster than the 305 IROC and 350 Iroc, but the LS1 is slightly fast than the LT1. Even so, the LT1, IMO, has more gains, mod for mod, than the LS1 since both are 350's with mild cams. I think the LT1 has more gains mod for mod because the exhaust manifolds on the LT1 are more restrictive than the LS1, and the throttle body on the LT1 is smaller than the LT1.. So when these things are corrected, there is a larger gain than that of an LS1. So when these "corrections" are made, the LT1 has a higher percentage gain than the LS1 since they were engineered smaller.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 09-13-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Silver
    1998 camaro z28

i am predicting 8 cars. or 4 limos. or 2 semis. Alot of people under estimate the LS1. i've got an auto with exaust, intake, that's it. I've raced 3 evos, 3 350 z's, slightly modified 2002 gt, and ran a 2005 mustang gt the other day. One evo I raced got his ass stomped so bad that he was like "well mines stock...." like mine had Nos or something on it :P. I had 2 cars on the 2005 mustang before i hit second gear and really started pulling on him..

I love the Iroc, but they just don't have the pep that hte ls1 has. if you really wana show him up, start the race at about 50 mph. see who can get to 130 first.

Quote Originally Posted by zwaldo View Post
    slightly modified 2002 gt, and ran a 2005 mustang gt the other day. One evo I raced got his ass stomped so bad that he was like "well mines stock...." like mine had Nos or something on it :P. I had 2 cars on the 2005 mustang before i hit second gear and really started pulling on him...

ya even I out ran a new rustang gt.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

A stock lt1 makes 245-265rwhp generally, i made over 300rwhp stock, i dont care how small they made the exhaust manifold, and or the TB you aint getting 40-60rwhp from changeing those.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    A stock lt1 makes 245-265rwhp generally, i made over 300rwhp stock, i dont care how small they made the exhaust manifold, and or the TB you aint getting 40-60rwhp from changeing those.
    hes saying mod for mod, the lt1 has a higher % gain than a ls1

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

How much does a lt1 jump with headers and exhaust and a CAI?

well exhaust manifold and intake are just 2 examples of what I am talking about. There are other things I would do as well to boost HP. LT1s have a lot to gain by doing mods. Nevertheless, my 97 LT1 with ram air is rated at 305. But of course I have additional mods that go beyond that, like electric water pump, custom program, customer filters, enlarged throttle body, LT4 knock sensor etc etc... =) So I aint hurtn by any means. After I get a 2nd car I will tackle the headers.

The only real major difference IMO when comparing the LT1 and the LS1 is the Heads. Everything else can be rectified on the LT1. Reportedly, the heads flow more on the LS1. So, unless a guy like me is willing to get new heads, then i'm just going to stick with it. And there aint no way I'd change my heads. I'd sell the car and get something else. Heck, theres better ways to get the remaining 10 horsepower after we've done all the other mods. So, I just don't think its worth it. Horsepower is nice, but its not worth that much. Gee. And we're not really talkin that much difference anyway. Especially when you compare to the new 350's GM is producing today.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 09-13-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

did you ever run you car? I have a few friends with lt1 cars, some have pretty much all bolts ons and run low to mid 13s. My friend nick, had a 94 auto, with a shift kit, 3.42 rear end gears, and all bolt ons except headers and a new intake manifold, with 285s on the back he ran a 13.3, not too bad. Hes getting closer ot me now, but i still get him by 4 or 5 cars.
    Last edited by 2000T/A Guru; 09-13-2007 at 01:37 PM.

White
    2001 SS #3504

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ZForce1 View Post
    The body kit is form Wings West. www.wingswest.com
    It's urathane - pretty durable.
    I thought that looked familiar thats whats on my SS.

SILVER
    1998 Z28

"The LS1 is slightly faster than LT1??"

You must have a freak LT1 because I have spanked a stroked 95 LT1 and 97SS with nothing but a Stock LS1 with flowmaster catback!!!!

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_m70 View Post
    "The LS1 is slightly faster than LT1??"

You must have a freak LT1 because I have spanked a stroked 95 LT1 and 97SS with nothing but a Stock LS1 with flowmaster catback!!!!
    i call bs that u were stock and beat a stroked lt1 camaro. stroked lt1's easily put down 400 to the wheels

No I have not run my car on a 1/4 mile. But I have run with an LS1 from "pole to pole" and he was just a hair pulling on me but his car I swear had nearly no exhaust. It was so loud I couldnt hardly hear my own car. So, I think I'm doing pretty good with no headers and a LT1. Even if we did a 1/4 mile, he wouldnt have been 5 car lengths ahead. I do have 3.42's and according to what a guy told me about a year and a half, I have the freer flowing factory Y pipe that some people try to get their hands on when racing since a customer exhaust is not aloud. Has to be factory or something like that. And right, if a LT1 was stroked and tuned right, then ya it should be smokin.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    No I have not run my car on a 1/4 mile. But I have run with an LS1 from "pole to pole" and he was just a hair pulling on me but his car I swear had nearly no exhaust. It was so loud I couldnt hardly hear my own car. So, I think I'm doing pretty good with no headers and a LT1. Even if we did a 1/4 mile, he wouldnt have been 5 car lengths ahead. I do have 3.42's and according to what a guy told me about a year and a half, I have the freer flowing factory Y pipe that some people try to get their hands on when racing since a customer exhaust is not aloud. Has to be factory or something like that. And right, if a LT1 was stroked and tuned right, then ya it should be smokin.
    the ls1 is more likely to take u at higher speeds than lower speeds

ya I understand.. but I also talked to / met a guy last year that had headers on his LT1 and he said mainly headers help at higher speeds.. Which is where the LT1 needs a little boost compared to the LS1. hehe And rightfully so, because if you think about it, headers allow for more air flow. And at high rms, that is when the engine is really pushing out a lot of air/exhaust. So, then it makes the biggest difference at high rpms.

Does anyone know how wide the factory exhaust manifolds are on an LS1 and a LT1?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

that white camaro looks sick man... u got any other pics? im buyin a black 94 z28 in a week or so (stroked lt1 lol.... 383ci pushin over 400rwhp )

ya I just saw your rusted flat black car in your profile. Btw, is that you or your sister?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Chad97z View Post
    ya I just saw your rusted flat black car in your profile. Btw, is that you or your sister?
    who my avatar? i just googled the ugliest person i could find that was appropriate lmao

ya she looks as morbid as your black car. haha

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

yea i just sold the p.o.s. . . only a matter of time till i pick up that 94 z...

well, here's a tip for ya.. Don't paint your next wheels black. Its a bad move. It gives the image of it being dirty. And then the next thing ya know, you hate your car and you cant seem to figure out why. ISnt that funny how that works? hrrmmm It just goes to show you, people don't really know what is good and what isnt. Or what they like and what they don't like until its too late.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information