Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

im new here..01 ss help???

This is a discussion on im new here..01 ss help??? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by zmg00camaross That's funny I got a hotcam also. I am think going the 5.3 heads and a ...

black
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by zmg00camaross View Post
    That's funny I got a hotcam also. I am think going the 5.3 heads and a bigger cam. For some reason I like natrally asprated f-bodys. But I miss the monster torque of my 03 cobra it would rip it damn blowers. But if I heard a f-body with a whine under that hood it would be weird to me. Unless turbo that's awesome. What are your goals with the car?
    my goals are to build it, streetable of course, maybe if i ever have to daily drive it. i still can.. but i really want a weekend warrior... i wanna just be able to get in and go.. what will happen if i put 5.3 heads on it? i have a set of them from a old engine i had.. what kind of gains would you get from doing that?

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by foxman92 View Post
    my goals are to build it, streetable of course, maybe if i ever have to daily drive it. i still can.. but i really want a weekend warrior... i wanna just be able to get in and go.. what will happen if i put 5.3 heads on it? i have a set of them from a old engine i had.. what kind of gains would you get from doing that?
    Well go to Texas speed website. They port and mill them flow great and ups the compression then you get a big fat cam and then you are makeing good power. People get from 400 to 450 to the wheels with that and 11 sec time slips for fun and 10s with good suspension and drive like you mean it. And a 9 inch rear end or 12 bolt. Budget head cam combos are awesome spend 2 grand and get great gains out of it.
    Last edited by zmg00camaross; 06-23-2009 at 09:39 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you are thinking about a supercharger, talk to Bob at EPP. Procharger is one of the best S/C's available IMO. On a stock motor, you can safely run around 8 PSI...assuming you get it tuned properly. At minimal, I would build the bottom end of your car; pistons and connecting rods. The crank is pretty stout, as is the transmission already. Like others have said also, your 10-bolt WILL eventually break with any kind of increased horsepower numbers, especially if you get some traction to the ground. I have taken the opposite route and have built my drive-train and suspension prior to adding any BIG power adders. LCA's, SFC's and a torque arm are also a good idea.
    It's on jackstands.

black
    01 SS

ok, well i have aftermarket lower control arms, adjustable panhard bar, and strut tower bar.. i have full length welded in subframe connectors, and the car is lowered.. i really dont know what else to add to suspension other then a 12 bolt..?? so i can have my 5.3L heads ported and milled and make more power then porting and mill stock heads? how much bigger of a cam are you talking about?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The size of your cam all depends on what you want to achieve. If this is a daily driver, you probably don't want to get too radical and maybe go with something like a pretty mild cam at 230/232 604/604 113+1 LSA that is still very streetable. On the opposite end, you can go more radical and get something like a Magic Stick V3: 237/242, .603"/.609", 113 LSA. Your best bet is to call Texas Speed or CompCam and tell them what you are looking to achieve. I believe they both do custom cams. Also, what clutch are you running?

black
    01 SS

spec clutch

Metallic Blue
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I say Monster clutch Stage 3, it's not an on/off switch! Makes for a good street car.

black
    01 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_01_Z28 View Post
    I say Monster clutch Stage 3, it's not an on/off switch! Makes for a good street car.
    whats not a on/off switch??? im not changing clutch till this one is toast, and i might end up doing a complete engine rebuild when this one goes out..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information