Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Red
    98 Camaro SS

Ignition removal

i have a 98 SS camaro LS1 and i dnt have the keys cuz they were lost n i have a new ignition lock cylinder or wutever u call it to put the key in n turn it to start it lol...but idk hw to remove the first one i was wounderin if somebody knew hw to do that could help me out wit that steb by step or sumthin like that

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Lost keys, and wanting to install a new ignition...............

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Go to the dealer with your registration. They can make a new key from the vin.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Are you talking you want to know how to remove the original ignition cylinder?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Lost keys, and wanting to install a new ignition...............
    +2.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I've done it.

And it's not fun.

But it was an LT1 car.

I remember there were yellow connectors for the air bags you wanted to disconnect, so that way you're "disarming" the system. AFTER you do that, disconnect the battery. I didn't follow proper procedure upon doing this the first time, so when I was done with mine, I left the air bags un-plugged, hence, light illuminated in the dash all the time afterwards. Also, there's a soft soft plastic that loops around about a million times over for the air bag, that's also a royal PITA to keep in-line, if you're in a rush and not expecting it (like I was). All I can really remember, is that a steering wheel puller will save you ALOT of time, and that I did the lock cylinder and ignition switch all in one shot. For both items, it cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 from the dealer.

I didn't have to show them my registration, just brought the orginal door and ignition key in, they didn't even need 'em, and they cut me a new chip coded key on the spot. They also give you what's called the master key, with no chip, in case you lose the one they just cut for you.

If you're not mechanically inclined, you'll probably run yourself into a mess and end up doing more cussing than accomplishing anything. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably let the dealer do it.

Oh, and if you're jacking a car, you've already brought enough attention to yourself, you won't get away

In any event, have fun my friend

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Blog Entries

Red
    98 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    I've done it.

And it's not fun.

But it was an LT1 car.

I remember there were yellow connectors for the air bags you wanted to disconnect, so that way you're "disarming" the system. AFTER you do that, disconnect the battery. I didn't follow proper procedure upon doing this the first time, so when I was done with mine, I left the air bags un-plugged, hence, light illuminated in the dash all the time afterwards. Also, there's a soft soft plastic that loops around about a million times over for the air bag, that's also a royal PITA to keep in-line, if you're in a rush and not expecting it (like I was). All I can really remember, is that a steering wheel puller will save you ALOT of time, and that I did the lock cylinder and ignition switch all in one shot. For both items, it cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 from the dealer.

I didn't have to show them my registration, just brought the orginal door and ignition key in, they didn't even need 'em, and they cut me a new chip coded key on the spot. They also give you what's called the master key, with no chip, in case you lose the one they just cut for you.

If you're not mechanically inclined, you'll probably run yourself into a mess and end up doing more cussing than accomplishing anything. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably let the dealer do it.

Oh, and if you're jacking a car, you've already brought enough attention to yourself, you won't get away

In any event, have fun my friend
    lol thanx but im nt jackin the car lol im jst tryna c wuts gonna b the best way to go threw wit it cuz i bought the car frum my couzin but he lost the keys n title to it n hes been really busy to the point where he cnt go get like a quick title yet n the dealer wants to charge me like 50 for the keys n where the ignition lock cilynder is only 18 bucks ya know wit two keys n plus i jst say a way of me gettin to know that car n stuff like that...i gt the time to do it cuz its alot of other wrk that need to b done to it like breaks rotors tune up oil change new tires hood bumber fender headliite n windshield ni only paid 1000 for the car n its only gt 100,000 miles exactly on it n yes its an SS for that price wit the LS1 n im doin everything myself as far as everything i listed

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Project LS1 View Post
    lol thanx but im nt jackin the car lol im jst tryna c wuts gonna b the best way to go threw wit it cuz i bought the car frum my couzin but he lost the keys n title to it n hes been really busy to the point where he cnt go get like a quick title yet n the dealer wants to charge me like 50 for the keys n where the ignition lock cilynder is only 18 bucks ya know wit two keys n plus i jst say a way of me gettin to know that car n stuff like that...i gt the time to do it cuz its alot of other wrk that need to b done to it like breaks rotors tune up oil change new tires hood bumber fender headliite n windshield ni only paid 1000 for the car n its only gt 100,000 miles exactly on it n yes its an SS for that price wit the LS1 n im doin everything myself as far as everything i listed
    How old are you?

Blog Entries

Red
    98 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    How old are you?
    im 18

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

sorry to say but the schools must suck in Detroit.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Project LS1 View Post
    good luck..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Blog Entries

Red
    98 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    sorry to say but the schools must suck in Detroit.
    lol its kool cuz i say the same thing bro...n its sad as fuck man i live n da D but i stayed out of the DPS schools to better my education n im glad i did that lol cuz nw im movin on to bigger n better things nw wen frum a shitty ass monte carlo n goin to a camaro ss at 18 man my friends r hatin me rite nw i tell u lol

Blog Entries

Red
    98 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    good luck..
    thanx ima prolly need it but i c it as sumthin i cn do n im nt doubtin myself so i should get it done lol

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

sounds like your cousin gave you a hot car

Blog Entries

Red
    98 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    sounds like your cousin gave you a hot car
    IKR lol

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Just an FYI, although you may just use it for short-hand expressions, like some people do in texting, you will get much better responses from members, if you use proper grammar and punctuation.

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Just an FYI, although you may just use it for short-hand expressions, like some people do in texting, you will get much better responses from members, if you use proper grammar and punctuation.
    +1... I'm still trying to figure out what he posted

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

iw as sitngi there tring t red it cuz and my gurl wuz lik wat? that foo can speel fur nuttin. an i wuz lik yah dog an thin thar wuz a big figh t an 5 o's wer runnin roun da crib fur lik for hours no jok foo

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    iw as sitngi there tring t red it cuz and my gurl wuz lik wat? that foo can speel fur nuttin. an i wuz lik yah dog an thin thar wuz a big figh t an 5 o's wer runnin roun da crib fur lik for hours no jok foo

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    +1... I'm still trying to figure out what he posted
    google is your friend ...IKR = i know really

Thread Information