red
    99 camaro SS

i think the SS is toast!!!

today i was out with a bunch of buddies on bikes and i was in my SS and i was running it hard all day and at the end of the day they all wanted to see some doughnuts and sure as shit i did it and about a half hour later i heard a slight knocking around 2000rpm! almost 102000 miles on it and its time to get rebuilt. this really sucks but the only upside to this is when its back on the road its gonna be built. i just hope to get it done this season!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I bet it's only because you're not used to those new gears. Sorry to hear that man. I also heard its bad to run it hard if you're even a little low on oil. I hope you get it back together soon man.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

idk man, change the oil see what it looks like, try to get that knock to go away before you condemn it

red
    99 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    I bet it's only because you're not used to those new gears. Sorry to hear that man. I also heard its bad to run it hard if you're even a little low on oil. I hope you get it back together soon man.
    no im completely used to the gears... that didnt have anything to do with it. i mean i drive it hard. which is why most of us bought our LS1's right?? im not even going to take the chance on messing up the block or anything. when i got it home and shut it off that will be the last time i start it up untill i build it or figure something out.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

What I mean is I figured you over revved it while you were doing the donuts.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

pushrod.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    pushrod.
    pushrods don't knock.

was it a lifter ticking, or definately a knock?
    maybe while doing donuts, the oil pump pick-up sucked up some air, then you could have spun a bearing, which would make a knock.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    pushrods don't knock.

maybe while doing donuts, the oil pump pick-up sucked up some air, then you could have spun a bearing, which would make a knock.
    A knock to some is a tap to others, ect. and a "slight knock" might be considered a tap? lol...you get the idea.

Oil pressure need not be low necessarily if a bearing is spun. Could be any number of things, I would pull the VC's and take a look just to see. Could be something simple...

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

A knock to some is a tap to others, ect. and a "slight knock" might be considered a tap? lol...you get the idea.

Oil pressure need not be low necessarily if a bearing is spun. Could be any number of things, I would pull the VC's and take a look just to see. Could be something simple...
    Pulling the valve covers isn't going to show you anything other than the rocker arms, and they don't knock.

red
    99 camaro SS

pushrods don't knock.

no i know its not a lifter ticking and it cant be a pushrod....im 99.9 % sure its a rod bearing because when its cold it barely does it and hot it gets louder only at a certain rpm. its just gonna get a stroker bottom end.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad99ss View Post
    no i know its not a lifter ticking and it cant be a pushrod....im 99.9 % sure its a rod bearing because when its cold it barely does it and hot it gets louder only at a certain rpm. its just gonna get a stroker bottom end.
    Pull each spark-plug until the knocking stops (1 at a time of course replacing them as you go) If the knock stops when you get to a certain plug...thats your rod bearing and you will have confirmed it.

Pulling the VC's will allow you to remove the rocker arm, pull the pushrod, and roll it on a granite surface and then re tq the arm to 22# as per GM spec...

If it is off bad enough to knock it may be VISIBLY bent. Or wearing an elongated hole in the head, have seen that one a couple times.

I agree it is probably a rod bearing. you were doing donuts and probably got low oil-pressure unless you run 6qts like most LS1 owners do you are likely to do so. Especially if you just ran 5.5 and used 1/2 qt without realising it (sounds like you drive hard sometimes and most LS1's will use 1/2 qt per oil change without blinking).

Fix it and run more oil! (0-30 GC gets the nod normally, if you cannot find it, M1 0-40).

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Pull each spark-plug until the knocking stops (1 at a time of course replacing them as you go) If the knock stops when you get to a certain plug...thats your rod bearing and you will have confirmed it.

Pulling the VC's will allow you to remove the rocker arm, pull the pushrod, and roll it on a granite surface and then re tq the arm to 22# as per GM spec...

If it is off bad enough to knock it may be VISIBLY bent. Or wearing an elongated hole in the head, have seen that one a couple times.

I agree it is probably a rod bearing. you were doing donuts and probably got low oil-pressure unless you run 6qts like most LS1 owners do you are likely to do so. Especially if you just ran 5.5 and used 1/2 qt without realising it (sounds like you drive hard sometimes and most LS1's will use 1/2 qt per oil change without blinking).

Fix it and run more oil! (0-30 GC gets the nod normally, if you cannot find it, M1 0-40).
    What the hell are you talking about? He said it hardly does it when it's cold. Pushrods don't get straight when they're cold,and bend when they warm up.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

What the hell are you talking about? He said it hardly does it when it's cold. Pushrods don't get straight when they're cold,and bend when they warm up.

That is why he is to pull the wire off of each coil-pack 1 by 1 until he finds the rod that has the spun bearing. It will stop knocking when he cuts ignition to that cylinder. Yes it will fire a code, yes the code will clear by itself or autozone will do it for free.

red
    99 camaro SS

yeah i run 6 qts and i was only about 1500 miles after an oil change. the oil pressure was fine. hell its above 40psi hot just barely above idle. and im not too concerned of what caused it because its just gonna get a fresh bottom end.

SMKDFRD
    When you rebuild the engine you'll find the problem and it'll be the end of that. Good Luck man.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad99ss View Post
    yeah i run 6 qts and i was only about 1500 miles after an oil change. the oil pressure was fine. hell its above 40psi hot just barely above idle. and im not too concerned of what caused it because its just gonna get a fresh bottom end.

Wierd...now that one has me baffled!!!

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Wierd...now that one has me baffled!!!
    Whoa, big surprise from a mustang owner.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

Thread Information