Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i need help. weird knocking noise......

This is a discussion on i need help. weird knocking noise...... within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; That's a sign from the performance gods, that you need to upgrade your exhaust and eighty-six the cats....

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That's a sign from the performance gods, that you need to upgrade your exhaust and eighty-six the cats.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I got here too late. I was gonna guess it was a part of you convertor, really. BTW, if your check engine light is not on yet, it will be soon for the dreaded catalyst efficiency code, from whichever side it came out of. It's possible more can break off and stick sideways, partially plugging your exhaust, restricting power.

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    That's a sign from the performance gods, that you need to upgrade your exhaust and eighty-six the cats.
    lol i need the cats tho cuz im in california and i need them to pass smog.

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I got here too late. I was gonna guess it was a part of you convertor, really. BTW, if your check engine light is not on yet, it will be soon for the dreaded catalyst efficiency code, from whichever side it came out of. It's possible more can break off and stick sideways, partially plugging your exhaust, restricting power.
    ok thanks. its not on yet. hopefuly it wont lol

Red
    2000 SS

oh and im ordering an exhaust next week so a new exhaust will be on it by the end of next week.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by L...S...1 View Post
    lol i need the cats tho cuz im in california and i need them to pass smog.
    No you don't

I was going to say get a rubber hammer and bang the pipe. When you take off the cat shine a light through to identify the missing piece.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

Hhhhmmmmm, catylitic converters. That chunk could have been the "platinum"

Platinum reacts with the carbon monoxide to clean the exhaust gases.
    Platinum = very expensive. . .
    I'd look into the recycling rate for platinum since you're getting a new exhaust system anyways. . . .Ya might recover a little bit of that new system. Anyone remember thieves stealing catylitic converters just to recycle them? Actually crawling underneath trucks and cutting off the exhaust.

Oh, and it takes SIX miles for the platinum to get warm enough to start reacting properly, be sure to travel at least six miles before taking the emission test.

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by LimeNine View Post
    Hhhhmmmmm, catylitic converters. That chunk could have been the "platinum"

Platinum reacts with the carbon monoxide to clean the exhaust gases.
    Platinum = very expensive. . .
    I'd look into the recycling rate for platinum since you're getting a new exhaust system anyways. . . .Ya might recover a little bit of that new system. Anyone remember thieves stealing catylitic converters just to recycle them? Actually crawling underneath trucks and cutting off the exhaust.

Oh, and it takes SIX miles for the platinum to get warm enough to start reacting properly, be sure to travel at least six miles before taking the emission test.
    ya i remeber when people stole the converters. and i actually just ordered a new catback exhaust and im gunna have a shop put it on and a new catyliac converter. so it should be all good in a couple of weeks

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

They still do steal convertors. Had to fix a customer's exhaust not too long ago since they stole one, and had another halfway cut off. The convertors for our F-bodies get about $65 each.

How many miles you got on it? GM extended the warranty on the cats to 120k miles. If you take your car and that piece to them,you will most likely get new ones!!!

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I was about to say what the guy above stated. Take to dealer, it's free replacement. They did mine a few years back no cost.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by blackcamarob4c View Post
    How many miles you got on it? GM extended the warranty on the cats to 120k miles. If you take your car and that piece to them,you will most likely get new ones!!!
    Only if there is an SES light on with a converter code or it fails a back pressure test.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I was about to say what the guy above stated. Take to dealer, it's free replacement. They did mine a few years back no cost.
    Not quite "free" It's not like GM just tells people if they want new cats to come get them. There are guidelines that the vehicle has to fall under for the extended warranty to pay for new ones.

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I didn't mean they were handing out free cats. But I went in for a rattle sound and They tested and told me my dr cat was bad. Asked if I wanted both replaced.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I didn't mean they were handing out free cats. But I went in for a rattle sound and They tested and told me my dr cat was bad. Asked if I wanted both replaced.
    The simpler solution is remove them all together!!! Mine started plugging up right after I bought the car, so I had them replaced so one of my techs could get paid, and then cut them off. Good motivator to get a full exhaust.

black
    02 ss camaro

Never heard of 120,000 mile warranty on cats.It was always 8 years 80000 miles.
    Last edited by konigandy6; 10-25-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    Never heard of 120,000 mile warranty on cats.It was always 8 years 80000 miles.
    It's a special policy extended warranty through GM for 10 years or 120k miles. Federal warranty is the 8/80.

If you are trying to sell something you need to follow the guidelines set up for selling in these forums.

First of all, by posting in the correct area: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f31/

Secondly by following the rules : Classified Rules..... Please Read Before Posting!!!!!

Thank you

black
    02 ss camaro

Sorry about that.I didn't join the site just to sell parts and understand the rules about posting classifieds,good way to protect members from being ripped off.

Red
    2000 SS

thanks for the help about the GM dealership. but the previous owner commuted alot and my camaro has i think 134xxx miles. so for california people now, i thought u need to have cats on to pass smog??? thats why exhaust systems are called "catback" cuz they start at the cat and go back. any california camaro owners have any ideas?? BTW i ordered a slp catback exhaust. and i was also gunna get the cats replaced with new ones. what should i do people???

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes you need the convertors to pass emissions. Without them, the exhaust pollutes too much. And you are correct about cat-back exhaust systems.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    It's a special policy extended warranty through GM for 10 years or 120k miles. Federal warranty is the 8/80.

If you are trying to sell something you need to follow the guidelines set up for selling in these forums.

First of all, by posting in the correct area: http://www.ls1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Secondly by following the rules : Classified Rules..... Please Read Before Posting!!!!!

Thank you
    How about the 3800's? Never heard of this. My cat went bad back in like May. The universal cat was smaller (2.5in) than the factory (3in). So instead of putting a clearly too small cat on I grabbed a piece of strait pipe and an adapter. But before it goes into storage this year it needs to be inspected prolly put on an entire cat back for now. If I can get the cat replaced I'll wait on the cat back till it get the replacement cat. I'm not throwing a sh&t ton of money into my boat anchor 90* 6er, since it will be getting removed hopely in the spring, or when my other project is finished.. In the meantime I'd like to be legal..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information