Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was killed by a Ratstang last weekend it is time to go war

This is a discussion on I was killed by a Ratstang last weekend it is time to go war within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I hear Ya. In the late 70's I had a 1968 Hemi GTX with 22k, A Dana 60 and an ...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I hear Ya. In the late 70's I had a 1968 Hemi GTX with 22k, A Dana 60 and an 833 4 speed. Talk about breaking stuff. Valve springs, rockers, drive shafts, mounts and even a cam. I remember those days. Running 9" M & H Slicks, 110 leaded gas, launching at 4500 rpm's and shifting at 6500 rpm's then you have to stop at 115 mph on 4 wheel drum brakes. What a blast. No sleeping in those days. But today it is tougher to work on vehicles. In the GTX I could climb inside the engine compartment and work on the heads. My 02 SS is a different animal, no room. I remember seeing a guy replace heads on a BBC Nova in 90 minutes at the track and run that afternoon. Well, I think I will be a little more agressive and see how the old girl holds up.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. Forced induction verses naturally aspirated gave you a disadvantage from the get go. There are a ton of cars out there now running power adders, trying to keep up with them all is impossible without deep pockets. Losing by 3 cars against a lighter mustang with a power adder isn't all that bad in my opinion considering the circumstances.

I'd just be happy with your 12.60 daily driver and enjoy it. 12's is still quick enough to handle most NA cars out there anyway.

If you must, then a mild cam along with a good rear and 4.10's minimum will put you in the 11's easily if you can drive it.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I am going to try the cam first then I may change gears and / or rear to 3.73's. I really do not want to go too deep into the Motor. GM built a nice piece with the LS1, I do not think it needs any more engineering.

They can always be improved upon, lol. They respond to cams nicely, and not that big of a cam, due to the 15 degree cylinder heads. That's really all that's needed in the motor for a nice little street car. Plenty of cam only LS1's in the 11's, but it's easier to do with a nice set of heads too. Plenty of good heads on the market to choose from. It's never ending. In stock form they are plenty quick for the average person though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information