Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

I don't get it (5th Gen Camaro)

This is a discussion on I don't get it (5th Gen Camaro) within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by cammed goat ^^as would I. But like 4 posts ago you said you want it to have ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    ^^as would I.
    But like 4 posts ago you said you want it to have styling cues like a 73 camaro and now you want them to move on and do a non-retro body.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I think it worked better on the mustang because,,,,well,,,,,ford stayed more true to the retro look. When you looked at it you automatically know what it was representing.

I look at a new camaro and I can't tell what the hell GM was thinking

I feel that if you are going to do retro, go for the whole look or nothing at all. Just sticking a few cues in there does nothing for me, and just looks like a knock off of sorts to make a few bucks.
    MAYBE when the new design comes out it wont be Camaro ... and just Here is the new Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    MAYBE when the new design comes out it wont be Camaro ... and just Here is the new Camaro
    Well for GM to pull that off, they would have to stop stealing platforms from Australia first

I personally like the retro, GM just sucks at it.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Well for GM to pull that off, they would have to stop stealing platforms from Australia first

I personally like the retro, GM just sucks at it.
    But why, one of the great things about cars is new ideas, new designs, new tech that boosts performance and efficency. The old muscle cars were great and legendary. But no new retro design is ever better than the real original so whats the point. Its like a band that only plays cover songs, Lenny Kravitz made it pretty far but was never as good as the people he covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    But why, one of the great things about cars is new ideas, new designs, new tech that boosts performance and efficency. The old muscle cars were great and legendary. But no new retro design is ever better than the real original so whats the point. Its like a band that only plays cover songs, Lenny Kravitz made it pretty far but was never as good as the people he covered.
    Well I guess if you are into all the new ideas and what not,,,,then I can see the enthusiasm. I guess I'm just old, and I like my old cars. I like the styling and the power plants, even if it is old technoligy,,,it sure is simple and cheap to work on.
    I like the individuality the old cars offer, the chrome, the bold statements they make just sitting still. Call me wierd I guess.
    I do agree that, no new retro design will ever top the originals, but it sure is nice to see rather than all this cookie cutter crap out there.
    I honestly can't tell one brand apart from the other anymore. As a matter of fact, I just saw what looked like a toyota or mitsu, or (well okay it looked foreign to me) mini van or mini SUV of sorts,,,,and I couldn't believe it when I got close enough and saw a GMC logo on the tailgate
    The new stuff is just boring nowadays in that respect.

victory red
    2007 zo6

i disagree with you [firebird jones]..i am a senior guy ,still love all the classic american ,cars/trucks !! newer cars like my 2007 zo6 427/505horses blows away,,, in all areas, my 1967 427 big block vette conv... the old big blocks were rough on plugs,gas,overheating, etc. but it did look kool, and loved those factory side pipes ! my daily driver a 2008 impala ss v8,has a great engine, really dont care for fwd,but great in bad winter weather..

Quote Originally Posted by rkvette View Post
    i disagree with you [firebird jones]..i am a senior guy ,still love all the classic american ,cars/trucks !! newer cars like my 2007 zo6 427/505horses blows away,,, in all areas, my 1967 427 big block vette conv... the old big blocks were rough on plugs,gas,overheating, etc. but it did look kool, and loved those factory side pipes ! my daily driver a 2008 impala ss v8,has a great engine, really dont care for fwd,but great in bad winter weather..
    Hmm, I drive 3 BBC's here, none of them have ever been rough on plugs or overheated I've trusted them on cross country ventures with the family on several occasions. Honestly I trust my old stuff more than either of our 4th gens.

I'm sure your Z06 performs well compared to the old stuff, but that wasn't really what I was getting at when I said I prefer to drive my old stuff over the new stuff. I just prefer the simplicity, cheap maintaince, the styling etc...so I drive them every day. It's just my cup of tea. I don't mind the fact that they don't stop or turn as well as a new car will.

I don't mean that I would turn away a Z06 to drive if I had the chance, I'm just one of the rare folk that would much rather drive classic iron.

You'd probably cringe if I told you (are you sitting down??) I still drive 2 cars with manual 4 wheel drum brakes and manual steering, and actually enjoy it too

silver
    2002 ws6

Hmm, I drive 3 BBC's here, none of them have ever been rough on plugs or overheated I've trusted them on cross country ventures with the family on several occasions. Honestly I trust my old stuff more than either of our 4th gens.

I'm sure your Z06 performs well compared to the old stuff, but that wasn't really what I was getting at when I said I prefer to drive my old stuff over the new stuff. I just prefer the simplicity, cheap maintaince, the styling etc...so I drive them every day. It's just my cup of tea. I don't mind the fact that they don't stop or turn as well as a new car will.

I don't mean that I would turn away a Z06 to drive if I had the chance, I'm just one of the rare folk that would much rather drive classic iron.

You'd probably cringe if I told you (are you sitting down??) I still drive 2 cars with manual 4 wheel drum brakes and manual steering, and actually enjoy it too

my old 454 gave me absolute zero tuning issues, made 400+hp with a cam and carb change on 87 octane, and cost me under $1000 to build including the cost of the entire donor vehicle i got it out of. sure it is hard on gas but everytime i drive, it's right to the rug. gobs of torque is addicting!

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I like the fact that the gen 5 has a "69" nose and a "67/68" tail. What I don't get is why the roof is so tall.

I liked the concept better. But it looks like the production model got somewhat taller.
    http://missivesfrommarx.files.wordpr...-concept10.jpg

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    my old 454 gave me absolute zero tuning issues, made 400+hp with a cam and carb change on 87 octane, and cost me under $1000 to build including the cost of the entire donor vehicle i got it out of. sure it is hard on gas but everytime i drive, it's right to the rug. gobs of torque is addicting!
    My 67 has a 454/TH400 and a 4.10 geared 12 bolt. It got a whopping 6mpg city and 8mpg hiway. Hiway was 55mph which was 3,000 rpm. Conspicuous consumption at it's finest!

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    My 67 has a 454/TH400 and a 4.10 geared 12 bolt. It got a whopping 6mpg city and 8mpg hiway. Hiway was 55mph which was 3,000 rpm. Conspicuous consumption at it's finest!
    At the track that I race at. Old school or older cars rule. I know EFI is more efficient. Tell that to the carbed N/A guys that blow past you..

silver
    2002 ws6

i've got 3:73's and a th700 behind mine. so i might get 10 mpg highway lol

Wow Jim, even my chevelle with a 454/400 turbo and 4.10 gears will tickle 10 mpg if I drive easy. I didn't think that was all that bad considering the 600+HP and 3,000 rpm cruising speeds.

On a more tame note, my wifes 71 454 vette with a 400 turbo and 3.08 gears gets 16 mpg and the AC blowing. Nice bone stock cruiser with a good tune. She drove it everyday for a few years to and from work, and we did a couple of cross country trips in the car as well. Rock solid dependable and what I consider good mileage for what it is.

My 79 1 ton 454 pickup (400 turbo and 3.73 gears) I am currently driving daily right now, I use it to tow a 10,000 lbs. enclosed trailer, and did that while moving 2,000 miles accross country as a matter of fact, and gets 9-10 mph while doing it. Driving empty it has gotten 13-14 mpg. Around town right now (I just filled up and checked it) it got 11.8 mpg with some full throttle driving in there . Dependable as a rock. Not bad for a boxy truck. As a matter of fact, it mimics new SUV mileage and they have fuel injection and overdrives.

A sharp tune with a wideband, a few carb tricks, and a good timing curve will do wonders for these old cars, performance and mileage wise.

Sorry to get off subject....although very interesting to us old farts...carry on.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Worse yet, it got only 3mpg when I had the 427 in it. And that was with a 50/50 mix of 106 and (at the time) 94 octane. Such was the price of a low 11 second ride.

victory red
    2007 zo6

dont know if you guys know, that the gm factory, stoped building big blocks.. factory was near buffalo, new york... i think one of best tow engines ,was a big block.. i remember when big block cheville 454 conv. auto. won national title, at englishtown,nj. drag strip .. that factory is going to make newer, small engines...rkvette

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information