Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I don't get it (5th Gen Camaro)

This is a discussion on I don't get it (5th Gen Camaro) within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by camaross1 my 2002 ss came with 2 window stickers, GM and SLP, my total was around 33k ...

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by camaross1 View Post
    my 2002 ss came with 2 window stickers, GM and SLP, my total was around 33k new, gm sticker was , $30,745, with destination charge, and slp was $2,553.00
    Today that will buy you a bare bones very few optioned slower heavier 1SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    Today that will buy you a bare bones very few optioned slower heavier 1SS.
    Not bad considering it's been nearly 10 years, and I think that was the whole point of the thread here.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not bad considering it's been nearly 10 years, and I think that was the whole point of the thread here.
    I think people just freak when something cost over $30k...

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    Ya, I see that alot, even with classic stuff. $30k just won't get you alot, wouldn't get you alot even 10 years ago either.

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    $30K doesn't freak me out. I went to the auto show a few months ago, thats where I freaked out. The average car there was $40K, Hundai had nerve enough to have a $40K dollar car there.

For one I am a little disappointed in the finished product. I like the design and I like the LS3 but the car is too heavy. If this new design comes at the cost of the additional weight then I almost wish they would have just taken the Gen 4 platform, improved it change the look of the car and dropped in the new motor. You'd have a 12 second car on your hands I don't care who was driving it.

With regards to the price I would have no problem with a fully loaded 2SS for $35K. Anything past that and they can keep it. You'll be lucky if the car is worth half that in two years. Especially if they change the design which I can definately see happening with the 2011 mustang dropping later this year. If your gonna buy a camaro i'd wait. Find a used one or wait and see what GM does in a year or two in response to this stang.
    Last edited by Lethal Z; 05-02-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
    $30K doesn't freak me out. I went to the auto show a few months ago, thats where I freaked out. The average car there was $40K, Hundai had nerve enough to have a $40K dollar car there.

For one I am a little disappointed in the finished product. I like the design and I like the LS3 but the car is too heavy. If this new design comes at the cost of the additional weight then I almost wish they would have just taken the Gen 4 platform, improved it change the look of the car and dropped in the new motor. You'd have a 12 second car on your hands I don't care who was driving it.

With regards to the price I would have no problem with a fully loaded 2SS for $35K. Anything past that and they can keep it. You'll be lucky if the car is worth half that in two years. Especially if they change the design which I can definately see happening with the 2011 mustang dropping later this year. If your gonna buy a camaro i'd wait. Find a used one or wait and see what GM does in a year or two in response to this stang.
    I still say there was no way this 5th gen was going to please everybody , and that 4th gen people still haven't figured out what an advance the LS1 was ...

Since it seems everyone is so concerned about weight, and I can't for the life of me figure out why....
    Considering all the safety features and impact standards that are mandated now, along with all the creature comforts everyone wants, as well as more leg room,,,it's a miracle the cars are as light as they are.

Case in point.......

My 70 formula with hardly any weight adding options tips the scales at 3,890 lbs. with me in it.
    My 72 chevelle 454 with A/C and no other options to speak of weighs 4,108 lbs. with me in it.
    My 56 Nomad is just a tad over 4,000 lbs and has no options what so ever
    The lightest car of the bunch is a no option 71 ventura Sprint at 3,400 lbs. I previously had a 79 monza with a little 406 that hit 3,120 lbs.

Considering these new cars have all the bells and whistles, plus safety standards and electronics out the wazzzooo, and they barely tip the scales anywhere near what the classics do, I think they are doing pretty damn good on weight.
    For example, my 02 SS convertable is 3,620 lbs.
    My 00 SS T-top is 3,550 lbs.
    My previous 97 Z28 convertable was 3,520 lbs.

They are still lighter than my old stuff, and loaded 10 times over. So the new camaro is 150-200 lbs heavier than a 4th gen...big deal.

I mean really common........if you guys are so worried about having a light car, buy a Chevette and stick a V8 in it,,,,,,,just sayin

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

Since it seems everyone is so concerned about weight, and I can't for the life of me figure out why....
    Considering all the safety features and impact standards that are mandated now, along with all the creature comforts everyone wants, as well as more leg room,,,it's a miracle the cars are as light as they are.

Case in point.......

My 70 formula with hardly any weight adding options tips the scales at 3,890 lbs. with me in it.
    My 72 chevelle 454 with A/C and no other options to speak of weighs 4,108 lbs. with me in it.
    My 56 Nomad is just a tad over 4,000 lbs and has no options what so ever
    The lightest car of the bunch is a no option 71 ventura Sprint at 3,400 lbs. I previously had a 79 monza with a little 406 that hit 3,120 lbs.

Considering these new cars have all the bells and whistles, plus safety standards and electronics out the wazzzooo, and they barely tip the scales anywhere near what the classics do, I think they are doing pretty damn good on weight.
    For example, my 02 SS convertable is 3,620 lbs.
    My 00 SS T-top is 3,550 lbs.
    My previous 97 Z28 convertable was 3,520 lbs.

They are still lighter than my old stuff, and loaded 10 times over. So the new camaro is 150-200 lbs heavier than a 4th gen...big deal.

I mean really common........if you guys are so worried about having a light car, buy a Chevette and stick a V8 in it,,,,,,,just sayin
    I agree with you a bit on that, no doubt. I just wish all of that stuff wasn't standard: the multiple airbags, big speakers, heavy interior accessories. If they could give us a model with Cobalt SS seats and only a/c with a CD player and four lightweight speakers for $32k, that might catch my eye, especially if they equipped it with 18-inch wheels and grippy tires and got the weight around 3700. I don't think that is too much too ask. But I really don't think the car costs too much anyway, the GTO cost more and didn't weigh much less than the 5th gen (3725 pounds) in 2004, when it still only had the 350-horsepower LS1.
    Last edited by RJWZ28; 05-03-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    I agree with you a bit on that, no doubt. I just wish all of that stuff wasn't standard: the multiple airbags, big speakers, heavy interior accessories. If they could give us a model with Cobalt SS seats and only a/c with a CD player and four lightweight speakers for $32k, that might catch my eye, especially if they equipped it with 18-inch wheels and grippy tires and got the weight around 3700. I don't think that is too much too ask. But I really don't think the car costs too much anyway, the GTO cost more and didn't weigh much less than the 5th gen (3725 pounds) in 2004, when it still only had the 350-horsepower LS1.
    I agree with that. And that's my only real hang up when buying any new car. You just can't order what you want and discard the rest....Everything comes as a huge package now. I want to pick and choose.

I would love to order a car without the power stuff, no A/C. Steering and brakes are all I'd need for my wife to drive it, and I personally don't even care about that. Not so much for weight savings though, it's just stuff I don't really want on a car. I just want a car with very few things ( I like it simple), and just let the weight fall where it may.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

I agree with that. And that's my only real hang up when buying any new car. You just can't order what you want and discard the rest....Everything comes as a huge package now. I want to pick and choose.

I would love to order a car without the power stuff, no A/C. Steering and brakes are all I'd need for my wife to drive it, and I personally don't even care about that. Not so much for weight savings though, it's just stuff I don't really want on a car. I just want a car with very few things ( I like it simple), and just let the weight fall where it may.
    you live in arizona, how in the hell do you plan on surviving in a car without A/C?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

The main reason automakers got away with letting people pick and choose options is the resale value. Your average car buyer is going to want the power stuff and AC. With a heavy lease market, if you were able to lease a stripper car like that, the resale at the end of the lease would be terrible, and would probably end up losing money on the resale. Plus I also think the factories have gotten lazy to a certain point. They install packages instead of one option here, and one option there. Do I agree with it, not really, but that explination makes sense to me.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    The main reason automakers got away with letting people pick and choose options is the resale value. Your average car buyer is going to want the power stuff and AC. With a heavy lease market, if you were able to lease a stripper car like that, the resale at the end of the lease would be terrible, and would probably end up losing money on the resale. Plus I also think the factories have gotten lazy to a certain point. They install packages instead of one option here, and one option there. Do I agree with it, not really, but that explination makes sense to me.
    I kinda agree on that .. But look at what most complaints are about a car nowdays .. Dash has to much plastic, , cup holders , and electronic gizmos ... I think you could have a different console to take care of that .. Speakers and lower radio.. so yea is a lot you can take away ... cant have a modern car without AC , they are not made to circulate air like say a 67 Chevelle was ...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    you live in arizona, how in the hell do you plan on surviving in a car without A/C?
    What, you think Az is a giant desert?

Where he lives (high country) it doesn't get as hot as where I live (desert plain).

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

The current unemployment rate, the masses who are praying they aren't part of a "downsize" move by their employer, and the rate of foreclosures are probably good indicators why a $35K car today is probably a harder sell than a $32K car was in 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    It's a dry heat No really it is....compared to the humidity and dew points where I came from, 105-110 Arizona temps don't feel too bad to me.
    Windows down and the wind blowing is pretty comfy (for us anyway) We have A/C equipped cars, I just never use it here. Ohio was a different story.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

The camaro is selling rather well, over 22,000 sold already, since mid 2009. And a large percent of them are SS, infact in some months over 70% of sales were SSs. I know 49,000 were made in 2002, thats camaros base, rs, z28 and ss but i didnt find how many were sold. Camaro outsold the mustang for the first time in 16 years.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-03-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Oh I understand completely why the manufactures are doing it,,,,because people in this country have gotten soft

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Hey, Justin...didn't you post pics of a concept targa gen-5? Or some other member here? I think GM will offer a stripper model. Maybe a 3SS? If the folks at GM are reading threads like this, and watching the new stang, I think there will be streamlined models in the future. I have seen the new stang and I think they copied the GTO. The Monaro/GTO was more sleeker than the previous stang as it kinda looked taller. But this is only my opinion. I have my flame suit on.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Hey, Justin...didn't you post pics of a concept targa gen-5? Or some other member here? I think GM will offer a stripper model. Maybe a 3SS? If the folks at GM are reading threads like this, and watching the new stang, I think there will be streamlined models in the future. I have seen the new stang and I think they copied the GTO. The Monaro/GTO was more sleeker than the previous stang as it kinda looked taller. But this is only my opinion. I have my flame suit on.
    You think they copied the GTO how? Body style wise?

I would have to say your completely crazy if thats what you meant.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    You think they copied the GTO how? Body style wise?

Click for full size

Click for full size

I would have to say your completely crazy if thats what you meant.
    Body style wise. If you look at an 08 stang, the nose is taller. Now, on the 2010, the nose of the stang sits lower and the car looks more sleeker than the 08. The new stang looks more like a bullet.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information