Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 155

I don't get it (5th Gen Camaro)

This is a discussion on I don't get it (5th Gen Camaro) within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; That has been my thought all along: we get a 300+ horsepower car for $23k and a 400+ horsepower car ...

  1. #21
    Member RJWZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunniest city on Earth
    Age
    31
    Posts
    612
    2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

    That has been my thought all along: we get a 300+ horsepower car for $23k and a 400+ horsepower car for $31k with a great deal more structural integrity than the last generation. The new generation of ponycars is worlds better than the last generation, and the price difference isn't bad at all. As some of you pointed out, if you consider inflation there is no difference at all. Sure there are things many of us would like to change about the car, but how many people on here just left their fourth-gen exactly the way it was from the factory and were completely satisfied? For the price, you can't really do any better.

  2. #22
    Member RJWZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunniest city on Earth
    Age
    31
    Posts
    612
    2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

    my 02 ws6 had an msrp of over $40,000
    There we go. And to think that Pontiac guys complained that the Goat was $33k when it dropped. And then everybody cried when it got cancelled. Now we are in a similar position with the 5th-gen Camaro.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Age
    54
    Posts
    464

    BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

    I think the point is missed somewhat. Today's prices certainly compare favorably to 4th gen. prices. I think the bigger complaint from many is the Camaro's higher price, (maybe not a huge diff. but higher nonetheless) compared to the Mustang. Ford has a pretty consistent history of outselling GM in the pony car market, so GM should do more (like undercut Mustang's prices) to encourage more Camaro sales versus Mustang.

  4. #24
    Junior Member pdiddyz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston,MA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    35

    navy blue
    1998 z28 m6

    Thumbs up

    that was a great video you put up raynor139! it's almost kinda sad seeing the end of these great cars even though we know the camaro came back.also i never realized how fast these cars were right off the showroom floor that's awesome 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers! I agree with people that say theres no bigger bang for your buck than our great f-bodies!!!!!

  5. #25
    Member Lethal Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    192

    Black
    98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    I think the point is missed somewhat. Today's prices certainly compare favorably to 4th gen. prices. I think the bigger complaint from many is the Camaro's higher price, (maybe not a huge diff. but higher nonetheless) compared to the Mustang. Ford has a pretty consistent history of outselling GM in the pony car market, so GM should do more (like undercut Mustang's prices) to encourage more Camaro sales versus Mustang.
    Agree 100%

  6. #26
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by pdiddyz28 View Post
    that was a great video you put up raynor139! it's almost kinda sad seeing the end of these great cars even though we know the camaro came back.also i never realized how fast these cars were right off the showroom floor that's awesome 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers! I agree with people that say theres no bigger bang for your buck than our great f-bodies!!!!!
    When I bought the 02 as a used car (with 29,xxx on it - got $11K for the vert) in Apr 2005 1st thing I did was take it to the track. 1st run was 15 some odd (way too much wheel spin - I stopped and started all over about 30' from the starting line lol) but it ran 100+ mph. By the end of the night (after I figured out how to launch it) I was turning consistant 13.6x times with a 2.0x 60' at 105+ mph. This was with the car stock down to the paper filter.

    It's a whole lot faster/quicker now...

  7. #27
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    And, cuz you can't append sig when you quote...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

    2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

    2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

    Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

  8. #28
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Msrp for a 2002 ss was 29,625. Msrp for a 2010 camaro 1ss is 30,450, 2ss is 32,xxx. 2002 ws6 msrp was 32,065. So a 2002 camaro ss 8 years early was less than a 1,000 dollar less. Seems like a good deal to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Very good point!!! Inflation, techincally 30,000 8 years ago was worth more than 30,000 today. Thanks for the inflation Federal reserve
    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    It would probably be very interesting to see if there are any members here who actually purchased a new 2002 and see what they really paid, then compare it to what others really paid for a new 2010.
    $30,000.00 in 2002 has the same buying power as $36,292.00 in 2010.

    p.s. inflation is a good thing, not many people realize it.

  9. #29
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    my non WS6 TA was loaded nd 24500 new. The ws6 was olnl just TIPPING THE 30K MARK AND WITH THE 2011 5.0 coming out camaro and dodge will be in trouble if the price is right.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

  10. #30
    Member RJWZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunniest city on Earth
    Age
    31
    Posts
    612
    2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

    I like the competition between the two, but I can also understand the price difference between the two to a degree. I mean, honestly, the Camaro is more car than the Mustang, and more car generally costs more money. And considering the level of difference between the 2009 and 2010 Mustangs and the 2010 Camaro, GM price choice made sense. The 5th gen Camaro one-upped the competition in every way except price, so why nitpick the extra couple bucks? Now with the Mustang stepping up its game, who knows what will happen next?

  11. #31
    Senior Member big hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    manitoba, canada
    Posts
    1,731

    silver
    2002 ws6

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    my non WS6 TA was loaded nd 24500 new. The ws6 was olnl just TIPPING THE 30K MARK AND WITH THE 2011 5.0 coming out camaro and dodge will be in trouble if the price is right.
    the challenger will be in trouble. you can get a 1ss camaro for roughly the same price as a base gt. and the camaro will be every bit as quick. so really it's all about brand prefference.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    $30,000.00 in 2002 has the same buying power as $36,292.00 in 2010.

    p.s. inflation is a good thing, not many people realize it.
    How is our inflation a good thing? Were making more money than we have gold to back it, the system will crash, there is no way with the current system to pay off our debt. If the federal gov was actually keeping track of inflation/deflation it could be used for some good, but the point is they arent. They have no idea or control over what the fed reserve does.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-29-2010 at 07:31 AM.

  13. #33
    Member rkvette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    northeastern pa.
    Posts
    175

    victory red
    2007 zo6

    i have heard some guys say new camaros with all the bells and whistles,$45,000..? i know you can buy a new regular corvette, not conv.for about $43,000 not stripped model ! of course a lot more performance,but not a great daily driver , with a family.. as far as just pony cars, my money would go for the new 2011 mustang 5.0 .. camaros new designs wont be out for at least couple more years, lighter,more power etc.. rkvette

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by rkvette View Post
    i have heard some guys say new camaros with all the bells and whistles,$45,000..? i know you can buy a new regular corvette, not conv.for about $43,000 not stripped model ! of course a lot more performance,but not a great daily driver , with a family.. as far as just pony cars, my money would go for the new 2011 mustang 5.0 .. camaros new designs wont be out for at least couple more years, lighter,more power etc.. rkvette
    Well as a someone has posted they got a 2ss(more options) with added options for 35,500, so whoever is paying 10,000 more is getting ripped off.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 04-29-2010 at 07:30 AM.

  15. #35
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    $30,000.00 in 2002 has the same buying power as $36,292.00 in 2010.

    p.s. inflation is a good thing, not many people realize it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    How is our inflation a good thing? Were making more money than we have gold to back it, the system will crash, there is no way with the current system to pay off our debt. If the federal gov was actually keeping track of inflation/deflation it could be used for some good, but the point is they arent. They have no idea or control over what the fed reserve does.
    Oh gawd... please don't get into an inflation/political debate....

  16. #36
    Senior Member raynor139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,319

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    How is our inflation a good thing? Were making more money than we have gold to back it, the system will crash, there is no way with the current system to pay off our debt. If the federal gov was actually keeping track of inflation/deflation it could be used for some good, but the point is they arent. They have no idea or control over what the fed reserve does.

    Good inflation iirc from economics class is a slow controlled rise of prices of goods over time. This reflects that our economy is strong, people are making more money and are willing to pay a little more for the same goods. When you have a robust strong economy inflation will happen no matter what.

    But i could be wrong its been a few years since i studied that.

  17. #37
    Senior Member justinmc978's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    college station, tx
    Posts
    2,564

    sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Oh gawd... please don't get into an inflation/political debate....
    i already took it to pm.

  18. #38
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    but how many people on here just left their fourth-gen exactly the way it was from the factory and were completely satisfied? For the price, you can't really do any better.
    I did/do

  19. #39
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Although approximate, we have one 2002 model that was available new for 11% less than msrp, and a 2010 that was purchased for 9% more than msrp.

    It will take a lot more examples, but that is interesting to consider.
    I still have the window sticker packed away from our 02 SS vert. It had a ton of SLP options that jacked the price up. If I remember right it stickered for $36k.

    I for one have never complained about the price tags of the new camaros. Considering this day and age it's about what most decent new cars cost, some even higher. When comparing to my 02 it seems like chump change almost 10 years later.
    And we don't have a new convertable to compare prices to either.....

    My complaint has always been the looks. I don't mind paying that much for something, but I have to like it first

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    True, the price isnt bad at all. But i still wouldnt buy one because i dont like the styling amoung other reason but we will save those for the political debate forum.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro - Classic Camaro With A Big-Inch Punch
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 05:10 PM
  2. 1999 trans am, 1995 z28 camaro, 1979 z28 camaro for sell!!!!
    By poneykiller2k4 in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 06:12 PM
  3. FS 97-02 Camaro Taillights/Ebony TTop shades/Camaro 35th model car
    By nhra-trans-am in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •