Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am looking at a Camaro SS Sunday, I have Questions!

This is a discussion on I am looking at a Camaro SS Sunday, I have Questions! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Just looked in the 01 brochure,to read the comments on the upgrades. Here they be. "One of the things the ...

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Just looked in the 01 brochure,to read the comments on the upgrades. Here they be.

"One of the things the 2001 SS really has going for it is that we,ve changed the ls1 camshaft + Intake manifold to really fatten up the midrange torque- and the SS driver is going to feel that, especially in the 2000-5000 range." The same mods were done to the Z.
    Ive never really been able to feel a difference between the years, I drove a m6 01 ss acouple of diff times before i bought mine,+ there is no question mine is faster then that one, but i do have a few mods also.
    + the ss was stock.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by NHRAMAN View Post
    the '98 computer is different than '99-02.
    Just for general knowledge, can you elaborate?
    In what way is it diff?
    Does it affect anything,?
    Any problems?
    Harder to work on?
    Is it better or worse or of no consequence?

Thanks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The 98 LS1's have different heads for starters. They have the perimeter bolt valve covers instead of the center bolt that is the standard for all LS based motors now.

The knock sensors are different on 98s and a lil more difficult to come by.

The coolant sensor is also different and again, more difficult to find to replace.

The steering wheels in the 98s are different from the 99+.

I think the PCM is different from the 99+ as well, it might be the 98 & 99s are different from the 2000+ up though. I cant remember for sure when the change occured on the PCM.

I know there are more differences out there, these are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head at the moment. All this being said, none of them are anything that I would let prevent you from getting the car if it has a clean title(run a carfax on it) and is what you are wishing for. If possible, it would be a good idea to have the car looked over by a mechanic before you purchase it, I know this isn't always possible though. I would find out about maintenance schedule, what motor oil used, and drive it to see how the tranny/rearend acts. Good luck on the car, and hopefully it will be what you are wanting.

If you do purchase the car, will you be modding it, or keeping it close to stock?
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

its the 98 pcms that are diff then 99+. as others have posted there are differences. you feel more and have a lil more low end grunt with 99+ and even more with the 01+. man i'm not making this up mystic. i dont doubt you can burn the rubbers quicker then paris hilton. i personally love the 98 ls1s. but dont even waste time with a 3200- tc 3200 or higher is the only way to go. but once again the tc has nothing to do with the engine it self. the 01+ have the ls6 intake. i hope i answered all your questions

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    its the 98 pcms that are diff then 99+. as others have posted there are differences. you feel more and have a lil more low end grunt with 99+ and even more with the 01+. man i'm not making this up mystic. i dont doubt you can burn the rubbers quicker then paris hilton. i personally love the 98 ls1s. but dont even waste time with a 3200- tc 3200 or higher is the only way to go. but once again the tc has nothing to do with the engine it self. the 01+ have the ls6 intake. i hope i answered all your questions
    If you can tell the diff in power between a 98 + a 99 then you are a better man then I. If there is any diff at all in power, It would be so small + trivial It wouldn't be of any importance, A diff tire height or air filter would counter it. And thats if any diff at all, the dyno #'s i posted on another thread from the july - GM High Tech Performance issue actually show 300 hp + 317 tq for a 98 m6 SS + 295 hp + 311 for the 99 m6 SS, so you could then say don't buy a 99 the 98's have more top end, The power is so close A strong 98 could make a little more or a little less , given any little circumstance.
    The original thing that got this conversation going was someone said he wouldnt buy a 98, +to buy a99 or up, but then gave no reason why, so the why question was asked,hoping for some light to be shed, because it is actually a 98 he is going to look at + asked for help, some one else pointed out a couple little things that Might be harder to get maybe at a parts store, but wouldn't stop him from buying one, (good Info).
    Now if someone said,yaeh! dont buy a 98 because the computer is different + is a piece of junk + has all
    kinds of trouble, That also would be good info.
    Dont buy a 98, with no reason why is not good info.
    And a possible tiny bit of low end power in an already very torquey motor,that someone else,thought he might have meant,also would not be good reason to not buy the car he is going to look at which is a 98.
    There are so many other variables to look at, like miles, condition,history,mods,etc. etc. 1.5 ftlb tq @ 1500 rpm when it was stock, doesn't figure into buy or not buy equation.
    Now if someone said if you can afford the 01 + up Its got the zo6 intake,diff cam for extra midrange torque
    + an upgraded clutch setup. Valid point + good info.
    On the torque converter thing: I know the tc has nothing to do with the actual motor output, my point was that even with my mild converter, the low end power was overpowering my tires to the extreme,so a possible ftlb or two extra would not matter at least
    on launch. I think on AN 01-02 Which did get a new cam
    + intake which Chevy says "Fattens up the -Midrange Torque- in the 2000-5000 range could mke a difference,
    I think it would be felt most on highway cruising loping along, step on the gas + it lobs you forward harder then an earlier one,not just highway but cruising in that torque range, but all out acceleration runs its hard to tell a diff.

As far as 3200 or HIGHER stall being the only way to go.
    Not for me not on this car anyway,Its an every day driver, I've read other posts where people say it drives like stock until you boot it, Not true,yes you can drive it every day,But It will not want to begin to move + get up to speed with out stepping more on the gas + getting the rpm's up,causes heat,more engine noise especially with aftermarket exhaust, eats more fuel,etc. Even with my mild converter I feel it as i'm pulling away from a dead stop not bad but its there, prett much just right.I,ve had the 10 second cars + after taking them out for a blast, after a little while its nice to get in the maxima for everyday to +froms, And for now this is my maxima, nice + streetable but still runs 13.1 + shreads the tires when i want, What more would the 3200 give me on the street, nothing, make it spin even more under full throttle, + the other 99% of the time make it more uncomfortable. Even on the strip, which it may see Acouple times a year if at all.I,m not so sure a 3200+
    stall is going to be better then what i've got, considering iv'e got a stock cam,(might even slow me down) certainly not enough to make me want to live with it on a daily basis.
    Don't get me wrong I Love all out machines too,had 671 blown hemi's,383 vega's,etc.then got into buildng + supercharging the stangs, Had some REALLY nasty stuff but they get old real quick if you have to drive them all the time, this one is just right.
    What I really want is a BONE STOCK ragtop SS m6 + a really built sreamer W/a high stall auto.
    Ps. Still cracking up over the Ike + Tina things.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

After rereading that last novel (thread)
    I need to clarify: I wasn't saying the 98 computer was junk and problem prone in 98's. I meant to say If they were, for example + somebody pointed that out, that would be good info, for someone going to look at one to buy.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Not personal at all.
    I'm always afraid it will come across that way when I write something, but its really not personal or mad or anything like that, I think i try to explain a certain view or point too much sometimes, + it comes off that way. I should have reread that last one before i sent it, I probably would have edited it down a few chapters, Sorry got carried away,shorter posts from here on in.
    This is my 1st message board. I'm a message board Newbie.

mystic teal metallic
    1998 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by KageSS View Post
    Here's a link that will help you understand. I hope.

http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Servic.../FbodyDiff.htm
    Thats a great link, I love data + info like that.
    Great info!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by mystic-z View Post
    Not personal at all.
    I'm always afraid it will come across that way when I write something, but its really not personal or mad or anything like that, I think i try to explain a certain view or point too much sometimes, + it comes off that way. I should have reread that last one before i sent it, I probably would have edited it down a few chapters, Sorry got carried away,shorter posts from here on in.
    This is my 1st message board. I'm a message board Newbie.
    u r fine. great info

black
    93 notch 5.0 5sp

Quote Originally Posted by KageSS View Post
    Here's a link that will help you understand. I hope.

http://www.lastofthebreed.com/Servic.../FbodyDiff.htm
    thanks. being the noob that I am, I just learned a lot from that link. Is it 100% correct?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i used to but then i had to sell it and get a grand am but i have always loved ls1s and for a long time i was just a member and listen to the seniors of this site and what they say. I am also the ls1 guru around here, and people come to me if they have questions about f-bodies and i've went with people looking for f-bodies. its fine. alot of people probbally just brush me off becuase of my age. but i know some stuff about the ls1s and f-bodies
    AWESOME!

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

got that right

Quote Originally Posted by conny9784 View Post
    Make sure that the doors align correctly and straight with the front quarter panels. alot of people jack the cars up improperly and bend the body lips where the front quarter meets the frame body lip. this causes cracking and bending of that body lip intern screwing up the alignment of that panel against the door panel.

You're so right about that -- I just did it to my own car a couple of weeks ago while changing a flat in a parking lot (I had to use the stock vehicle jack rather than my floor jack, and with the SLP SFCs installed, I couldn't get a good grip on the stock jacking point. !
    (Was "Bolide," member since 5/2000). 2000 Camaro SS, M6. SLP Level 1 susp, SFCs + STB, cold air kit, 1.85-1 rockers, Race LCAs + Panhard, Richmond 3.73 gears, B&M Ripper, Shaner S2, MAF ends, Hypertech etc. 328 rwhp (stock tuning)

Red
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by conny9784 View Post
    Make sure that the doors align correctly and straight with the front quarter panels. alot of people jack the cars up improperly and bend the body lips where the front quarter meets the frame body lip. this causes cracking and bending of that body lip intern screwing up the alignment of that panel against the door panel.
    It is not always caused from jacking them up. I've had the car since new and they have never lined up, Had a body shop line them up and shortly after they were back to normal. The car has always been put on a drive on lift or a four point lift.

Yes.
    bunch of them

Buy the '98 If it's a good car, and don't get too caught up on the little stuff.

white/yellow
    96/2010 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by COYOTE SS View Post
    It is not always caused from jacking them up. I've had the car since new and they have never lined up, Had a body shop line them up and shortly after they were back to normal. The car has always been put on a drive on lift or a four point lift.
    They slammed those cars out of the factory, not every car's panels lined up perfectly but almost every camaro i've owned and seen has been jacked up improperly in some way

Limited Edition #1242
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Piston slap... Here's your answer....
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...187#post466187

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SPECOPS94 View Post
    Piston slap... Here's your answer....
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...187#post466187
    didnt i already explain it?

Red
    1984 Corvette

It didn't work out

I called the guy the day before we were supposed to meet and explained to him that I didn't want to waste anybody's time (he had to drive close to 150 miles to meet me). He said I missed him when he was out in vegas looking at a "drag car". That kind of told me he beat on the car plus he wouldn't budge too much from his $10900. There will be others I guess. Thanks for all your help, I feel like i might actually know what I'm looking for on LS1's now when I am shopping for my SS.

black
    93 notch 5.0 5sp

I just missed a mint 100% stock pewter/black leather 6 speed 02 z28 with 10k miles at the local chevy dealer for $15,500.
    that was a good deal, right? almost a car to buy and leave alone as an investment, no?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information