Thread: Hurst Shifter?

1999 Camaro SS

Hurst Shifter?

This is startng to bug me and i need help. 99 SS always thought i had a hurst shifter with the leather wrapped hurst shift knob with the "H" logo. Im told all factory hurst shifters had a bend in the shaft. Mine is straight and silver in color. I dont want to take the console off. I read that if it is Hurst equipped then it will have an RPO code of "BBS" i do not have that code on my door but got on the SS registry that also claim to have the hurst option yet none of there RPO codes of BBS. Any help is great.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You are correct. The RPO for your year car was BBS for the Hurst shifter option.

Here is a thread with more information for you: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f36/how-te...hifter-134126/

1999 Camaro SS

Yea i saw that after the post, so what shifter was factory? n why would someone put a leather Hurst shifter knob on it lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Maybe they liked the look of the shifter knob? No idea really. As you've seen over the years, people do some weird things to their cars. Much weirder than this

I am not sure what shifter was factory. I am assuming GM made one. My car came with the Hurst shifter. I since have upgraded it thought with the Hurst Billet model with positive stops and retained my Hurst knob.

I have the stock Hurst shifter sitting in the garage if you are interested in it

Black
    1999 camaro

What he said. The stick used was the same on the standard gm shifter as well as the hurst option. It sounds as if someone put a short stick on your shifter and added the leather hurst "H" knob to it. Not a big deal really b/c it does look better than the baseball looking thing that came on the standard shifter.

1999 Camaro SS

Thank you for all of your input. I couldnt resist trying to find what brand the shifter actually was so i went down last night and ended up doing nothing but breaking my Shifter boot ring and had to order a new one today. O well. ~~ 35th-ANV-SS, thanks but i have the original hurst shifter being sent as we speak. Guy went to MGW and wanted rid of the hurst sohe said i just had to pay shipping.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

For what it's worth, if you are going to spend money on a shifter, look into the Pro 5.0 shifter assembly. Unless you are trying to keep the vehicle stock, there are aftermarket shifters that are 100 times better than the OEM or the Hurst. The best thing about the Pro 5.0 and similar aftermarkets, are the stoppers that prevent "over-throwing" a gear.

Just my 2 pennies.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

1999 Camaro SS

Yea with this one im going stock/oem. But I've heard and read great things on the Pro 5.0 shifter and if I was going aftermarket the 5.0 would probably be my choice.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

The Hurst billet plus shifter also has the stops just like the Pro 5.0 it replaced in my car after it wore out.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

[QUOTE=35th-ANV-SS;2808538]Maybe they liked the look of the shifter knob? No idea really. As you've seen over the years, people do some weird things to their cars. Much weirder than this

Yeah like the Tard that put a giant whale tail and "Mustang GT" emblems on his 6 cylider POS..i only had to hear him take off at the light to know it was only a 6 cyl.......too funny?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    For what it's worth, if you are going to spend money on a shifter, look into the Pro 5.0 shifter assembly. Unless you are trying to keep the vehicle stock, there are aftermarket shifters that are 100 times better than the OEM or the Hurst. The best thing about the Pro 5.0 and similar aftermarkets, are the stoppers that prevent "over-throwing" a gear.

Just my 2 pennies.
    What do you mean by "" over throwing a gear''? missing one?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

He means you can over-shift and damage the internal components of the transmission (specifically the forks) since the stock shifter does not have stops like an aftermarket shifter does.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    What do you mean by "" over throwing a gear''? missing one?
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    He means you can over-shift and damage the internal components of the transmission (specifically the forks) since the stock shifter does not have stops like an aftermarket shifter does.
    This

Thread Information